Is it just the V6 trans?? - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-16-2014, 05:17 PM Thread Starter
OGOC MEMBER

Is it just the V6 trans??

I have noticed that when just starting out the transmission in these cars are noisy especially now with the colder temps. Less than 85,000klms on the car. Do they all make noise like this? My Wife's red one doesn't seem to be as noisy about the same amount of Klms, I haven't driven these G8's that much yet but I'm kinda concerned about these sounds in hearing.
Cheers
Eric
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-16-2014, 06:51 PM

Not sure what noise you are referring to, I do not hear anything on mine. I have 89,000 km's on mine.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]K&N CAI, Pypes headers, Solo HFC's,Solo axle backs, Custom tune, FE3 Struts & Shocks, White line bushings & bearings, Rear Cradle inserts, Moog end links.Little lunati cam,SLP 25 %UDP, AC tensioner upgrade.15% tint.12" sub woofer with amp.Future upgrade Power slot rotors & posi quiet pads.

V6 Spectre CAI, Original Overkill tune,FE3 Struts & Shocks, White line bushings & bearings, BMR Rear Cradle inserts, Moog end links.12" sub woofer with amp.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-16-2014, 07:14 PM Thread Starter
OGOC MEMBER

It sounds like a spray paint rattle can when cold. It seems to lessen as it warms up but I does go for a few Klms. My black one is much worse then the Wifes red one. I just figured that's the sound of these V6 engine/tranny combo's.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-17-2014, 11:26 AM

Mines quiet as a mouse at 151k but I did change the tranny fluid at 148k, no flush and I don't know whether my son put in a new filter or not....guess I should ask...from what I understand these newer tranny's don't shift into the higher gears until they reach a certain operating temp, once there they operate as normal, this is what you may be experiencing. There is probably a tranny person on here that will be able to clarify or improve on this.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-17-2014, 07:04 PM Thread Starter
OGOC MEMBER

Thanks BAS G8, I do have a full warranty on both cars, just wanted to see if the noises I'm hearing are normal. It certainly doesn't sound normal. The dash isn't lighting up anything. Its not a very quiet running engine or trans by any means thou. I may just take it in and have it checked out/ or drive it till I throws a code.
Thanks
Eric
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-18-2014, 05:36 PM Thread Starter
OGOC MEMBER

Had the car in the shop today, turns out the catalytic converter need replacing. Runs much quieter now.
Cheers
Eric
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-18-2014, 09:44 PM

That's better news than hearing there were potential tranny problems, hopefully it was covered by the warranty. Be safe out there.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-19-2014, 05:05 PM Thread Starter
OGOC MEMBER

It was covered I paid the $100. deductible, Great warranty!!! The roads are in ruff shape north of Caledon, getting bad now in Mississauga, 1hr 45 min home tonight that sucked. Hope everyone drives safe.
Cheers
Eric
post #9 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-29-2014, 11:29 PM

124,000km, I do notice that mine likes to shift like a sledgehammer at first when it's cold, but that goes away after a few minutes.

Adam (KNTRDR)
Burlington, ON
2009 G8 V6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page