Noise when shutting engine off - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-23-2014, 12:13 PM Thread Starter

Noise when shutting engine off

I'm experiencing a brief high pitch squeak like noise when turning car off. Anyone experienced this that can shed light? Could it be tied into the current ignition recall? A starter issue? Although does not seem to do it when turning car over. It seems to be coming from within firewall or right in steering column.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-23-2014, 01:45 PM
'Mod'erator

Can you try to capture the audio so we can get a better idea of the sound you are hearing. Use your remote start if possible. The remote start will only work with the hood down I believe.

LSA, Pat G DOD cam, RCR TB, 4.5IN Intake/MAF,
CNC LS3 Heads, OBX,
H&Rs, Konis, BMR, Brembos, Slotted/Drilled Rotors
3.27 Gears, 2600 Stall, ZL1 pump, Ice tank
Tuned By Pat G and Luis at RPM Speed Center

Bolt ons Street tires
[email protected] 60ft 1.96 Da 700ft

Cam no stall Street tires
[email protected] 60ft 1.75 Da -200

Stall
[email protected] 60ft 1.66 DA 400ft

Zex 125shot
[email protected] 60ft 1.83 DA 2000ft
second gear launch

LSA 1/4???
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-23-2014, 03:07 PM

Going under the theory that this has just started to happen, you could try these things. >>>>> There's a chance it's due to your cabin blower fan causing the squeak (at ignition off time), you could pull the FU9-40A (HVAC/BLWR) fuse in the underhood fuse box (to prevent it from running) to see if anything changes. If no help, you could start the engine with the hood open, and having a friend shut the engine off, *you* could then be in a position to see if it's due to something in the engine compartment.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-23-2014, 05:25 PM
Now it's a Party

Mine is doing this intermittently too. I'm wondering if it's a belt or pulley or ac compressor. Is your compressor sounding extra loud lately or groaning?

2009 GT, Kooks 1-7/8 Mids, RPM Tune, Borla, Vararam, HSRK, P&P TB, UPR CCan, Mobil 1, Speedhut Gauges, FE3, Whiteline, Pedders, Summer MRR on 255/295, Winter Beyern on 245, CTS-V Fr Brembos, SS Rotors, Akebono Pads, Rolled/Pulled Fndrs, BMR Sways, Spohn Links & Arms, Sprt Pedals, Pont Shifter, Camaro Trans Pan, Pont Mats, Glove Box Light, MSM Lower Grills, CF Tail, GXP Diff, VG Fin, 20% Tint, 6000K HIDs, LED Fogs, GrafxWerks, Black Trim/Mirrors/Grills, Diffusr Lens/Amber Lens/Lowr Tails Tint
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-23-2014, 06:42 PM Thread Starter

Don't believe it's quite loud enough to catch with audio. Will try the fuse suggestion, although already had someone listen with hood open, and definitely sounds like on the driver side, whereas the cabin blower is on the passenger side. We'll see, thanks.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-23-2014, 10:02 PM

Mine has been making the high pitch noise since the day I purchased it. I don't know what is causing the noise but after a minute of the car being turned off it eventually stops.

The best way I could describe the noise is it's like the high pitch sound some of the old tube TV's would make when they were turned on and you had the audio muted.

Never really thought of it as a problem.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-24-2014, 08:12 AM Thread Starter

That is something different, but I know what you are talking about. That has something to do with the car computer or whatever once car is off. This is just a brief noise as the key turns to off position.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-24-2014, 08:37 AM

Pull your "accessory delay" relay fuse, see if that changes anything.

"Opinions expressed are solely my own and do not express the views or opinions of my employer."
2009 G8 GT - Self Built - Kooks 1 7/8" LT, Catted connection Pipes, Corsa Cat Back Exhaust, VCM OTR, LS7 MAF, Custom Cam w/ DoD Delete, Ferrea L92 Hollow Stem Intake Valves, PSI 1511ML Valve Springs, LS7 Lifters, Cometic .040" Head Gaskets, Cloyes Hex-a-Just timing gear, 7.350" Comp Cams Magnum Pushrods, Flycut Pistons, 11.45:1 Compression, HP/TQ TBD, Pat G tuned.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-24-2014, 10:43 AM

sounds like tpms Sensors
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-24-2014, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt G8 Dude View Post
Mine has been making the high pitch noise since the day I purchased it. I don't know what is causing the noise but after a minute of the car being turned off it eventually stops.

The best way I could describe the noise is it's like the high pitch sound some of the old tube TV's would make when they were turned on and you had the audio muted.

Never really thought of it as a problem.
Yeah, mine does it too. I think it's whining about being stuck in the garage when it wants to be out playing on the road.

Gone but not forgotten: 2009 Pontiac G8 GT, White Hot, Premium, Sport. Tune is "Down Under" by Men At Work.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-29-2014, 09:16 AM

That is the trans control module, TCM, it makes a high pitched noise, its inside the trans, ans is normal, some are louder than others

2009.5 G8 GT Maverick Silver;Sport/Prem. SunRoof. Nav kit, Vararam,Holden badge kit,Kooks 1 7/8" Headers, VMS Tuned
2009 White Hot G8 GT;Onyx/Red,Sport/Prem,SunRoof, Nav kit,Holden badges,VMS Tuned,Kooks 1 7/8 Headers, Maggie TVS1900, Injection is Great but i love being Blown !
2001 Trans Am WS6 NBM/Camel, 6Spd 21K Miles
2001 G/P GT
Quote:
When The People Finally Lead,The Leaders Will Follow
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-28-2015, 07:53 AM

It's the Throttle Body that you're describing. 100% sure. If the car is just sitting around it will do it too. And the center caps will click. This car is always begging for attention.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

2008 Pontiac G8 | LY7 V6 | 6L50 AT Conversion | 3.45 LSD Rear Differential | Panther Black Metallic | GT Tail Lamps | Red Leather Seats | GXP Rear Diffuser

1957 Oldsmobile 98 | 371 Rocket V8 | J2 3x2 Tri Power| Jetaway Dual Coupling Hydra-Matic | Sierra Gold | Magnaflow Dual Exhaust | Autronic Eye
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-01-2015, 01:24 PM

also consider that the fuel pump will depressurize the system when the car is shut off

Panther Black 09
~20% tint, GXP Diffuser, Costar Bluetooth, K&N Intake~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page