G8 V6 Good first car? - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-27-2016, 10:39 PM Thread Starter

G8 V6 Good first car?

Hi everyone! I get my license in a couple of months and I am trying to decide what car I want to get. I've always loved the G8 since it first came out and I remember watching videos of it on YouTube back when I was just 8 years old...
How reliable is the LY7? I know about the timing chain issues but are there any other widespread or common problems? I will be needing to drive this car in snow and ice. Will it be okay with Bridgestone Blizzak winter tires? My cousin got a 2008 G8 V6 for his first car about a year ago but he's a terrible driver that texts and he already scraped it up last week on a parked car. So it won't be long until it gets totaled. It has 93,000 miles on it and only problem he's had with it are sway bar end links and the PPM for the airbag. Are most G8's this reliable? My parents will be paying for my first car with a maximum budget of $12,000. I really like this one http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...20176305&Log=0 (I think carfax is wrong about the number of owners)
Please let me know your thoughts on the G8, it's reliability and winter time capability with proper winter tires.
Thanks, Zach
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-27-2016, 11:19 PM

Garage
Hi StorminNorman,
I've got 156000 miles and besides the timing chain my only real issue is the trim around the seats keeps breaking off and the interior doorhandles tend to shed the silver coating. Great car for a first car. In fact, any other car you ever get will probably be a letdown. I've had some good cars and bad in the 26 years since I got my license and this is definitely the best. I sometimes feel like I want a new one now, but can't find anything with the G8's attributes that is not $$$. As far as driving in snow, I'm in Florida, so I haven't tested it... but I'd have to say if you are cautious it should be good. Keep the traction control on and drive cautious. I've only ever driven a 1985 F150 in the snow... so it'd be way better than that. Unless you have a mile long unplowed driveway. The v6 comes standard with an open differential. So you could spin your wheel a bit on ice and deep snow.
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-27-2016, 11:59 PM

Sixteen and your first car is a G8....I was born too early....
You won't be disappointed with a V6.
Mines a Hot White too, a daily driver that just rolled 170,000km.
Also running Bridgestone Blizzaks never had a problem in the two winters they've been on the car, motor thru everything thrown at them so far and sporty tire when its dry.
As far as the LY7, theres more V6 G8's out there that have never had timing chain problems than those that have. Regular maintainance is a must, I go 7500km between oil changes not 10,000km. Also changed every fluid in the car whe I got it.... helps the have a GM tech for a son.....
There are pet peeves, lousy key fobs, squeaky sunroof, terrible FM reception, but my G8 puts a smile on my face every time I drive it.
Let us know what happens.

post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-28-2016, 12:01 AM
CCG8 Member

My only concern would be the cost of insurance, the body parts on these cars are pricey, doesn't seem to take much to total one. Young driver plus rarish car could equal higher rates.

Matt Jones
2009 WH G8 GT Vararam/Kooks LT's/Corsa/BLP Probationary LL 219/223 .612/.615 112LSA/3.45s
post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-28-2016, 11:33 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjones73 View Post
My only concern would be the cost of insurance, the body parts on these cars are pricey, doesn't seem to take much to total one. Young driver plus rarish car could equal higher rates.

Thanks for the replies! As for finding cheaper body parts go, couldn't I just order parts from Holden or JHPSS and have them shipped to the body shop doing the work?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-28-2016, 12:11 PM

Just be careful. That would be a awesome first car.

09 WH GT
Sport/Premium
Onyx/Red
Rotofab CAI
Cortex 93 tune
20% tint

I just wanted one.
post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-28-2016, 02:44 PM

Still going to be expensive... maybe more expensive?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StorminNorman View Post
Thanks for the replies! As for finding cheaper body parts go, couldn't I just order parts from Holden or JHPSS and have them shipped to the body shop doing the work?

2009 G8 GT - RotoFab, cam, Kooks mids, GXP mid, GT axle-backs
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-28-2016, 03:14 PM

Kiss your parents ass for as long as they breath. That's pretty cool of them to do that. If this is your first car , then the v6 is better. You can mod the v6 to go faster but think you should get acquainted with the car as a stock v6 before you start throwing more horses at her and you lose control and die or kill others.

Take really good care of it if you do get one. Best of luck!

PBM GT W/SPORT PACK
GO:
Pat G tune
CIA: ORSSOM
EXHAUST: BADLANDZ CUT OUTS W/ X PIPE AND RESONATOR DELETE
KOOKS 1 7/8 mids and HFC's (coated)

SHOW:
PONTIAC EMBLEMS REMOVED. HOLDEN TRUNK LOGO ADDED.
TINT
post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-28-2016, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjones73 View Post
I don't think these parts are any more expensive than other cars. If you are talking about expensive parts BMW comes to mind.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]K&N CAI, Pypes headers, Solo HFC's,Solo axle backs, Custom tune, FE3 Struts & Shocks, White line bushings & bearings, Rear Cradle inserts, Moog end links.Little lunati cam,SLP 25 %UDP, AC tensioner upgrade.15% tint.12" sub woofer with amp.Future upgrade Power slot rotors & posi quiet pads.

V6 Spectre CAI, Original Overkill tune,FE3 Struts & Shocks, White line bushings & bearings, BMR Rear Cradle inserts, Moog end links.12" sub woofer with amp.
post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-28-2016, 06:18 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by norton13 View Post
I don't think these parts are any more expensive than other cars. If you are talking about expensive parts BMW comes to mind.

Yeah. My brother has 2006 BMW 325xi and the Water Pump on it is over $400 for just the part!!!

post #11 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-28-2016, 06:29 PM

If you go AC Delco or GM Replacement parts you will be fine, I personally don't use after market parts unless there is absolutely nothing else.
As far as ordering parts from Holden as far as I know those parts would have to be imported from Australia so shipping costs and import costs would be extremely high.
Luckily I have never had to order body parts, knock on wood, so I don't really know what's out there.
post #12 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-28-2016, 07:01 PM

For a first car you should enjoy it. I had bought this instead of the GT because back in 2011/2012 GT's were still pretty expensive. I have driven this in snow & with snow tires is pretty good.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]K&N CAI, Pypes headers, Solo HFC's,Solo axle backs, Custom tune, FE3 Struts & Shocks, White line bushings & bearings, Rear Cradle inserts, Moog end links.Little lunati cam,SLP 25 %UDP, AC tensioner upgrade.15% tint.12" sub woofer with amp.Future upgrade Power slot rotors & posi quiet pads.

V6 Spectre CAI, Original Overkill tune,FE3 Struts & Shocks, White line bushings & bearings, BMR Rear Cradle inserts, Moog end links.12" sub woofer with amp.
post #13 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-29-2016, 07:17 AM

Pre-2008 had a problematic timing chain. They changed the design, but you still need a car that has been serviced more often than what the logbook recommends.

15.000Km (around 10.000 miles) was way too much, causing sludge issues and premature chain wear, especially when people where a bit late servicing it, like, well, I can probably add a few more thousands before going to the dealership.

Be careful with 2008+ cars with chain issues. Fixing the chain will not prevent it to fail again later, because the engine is probably sludged to death and will destroy the chain again, unless you completely take it apart to clean the mess.
post #14 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-29-2016, 07:51 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capsule View Post
Pre-2008 had a problematic timing chain. They changed the design, but you still need a car that has been serviced more often than what the logbook recommends.

15.000Km (around 10.000 miles) was way too much, causing sludge issues and premature chain wear, especially when people where a bit late servicing it, like, well, I can probably add a few more thousands before going to the dealership.

Be careful with 2008+ cars with chain issues. Fixing the chain will not prevent it to fail again later, because the engine is probably sludged to death and will destroy the chain again, unless you completely take it apart to clean the mess.

Good to know! Since the VE was only sold here for 2008 and 2009, I'll be sure to check how often it was serviced. Does it use Synthetic or conventional oil?

post #15 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-29-2016, 01:35 PM

For a first car, get your parents to buy some kind of Subaru. Perhaps a WRX. They have all wheel drive, so the snow won't be an issue.

Then in a few more years, when you buy your own car, get a G8 GT with V8. The prices will be lower then, and you can go straight to a fast car. If you get the V6, you will soon start thinking about what 'mods' you can do to make it faster, but the V6 will never be as fast as a stock V8.
post #16 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-29-2016, 08:06 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by edfiero View Post
For a first car, get your parents to buy some kind of Subaru. Perhaps a WRX. They have all wheel drive, so the snow won't be an issue.

Then in a few more years, when you buy your own car, get a G8 GT with V8. The prices will be lower then, and you can go straight to a fast car. If you get the V6, you will soon start thinking about what 'mods' you can do to make it faster, but the V6 will never be as fast as a stock V8.

I looked at the WRX but the ones in the budget are too expensive and too old.
My plan is to get a G8 V6 and daily drive it until I can afford a newer car when I'm out of college. Then I'll set the G8 aside and work on making it more of a weekend car and eventually dropping in an LS motor and manual trans. I know I'm crazy but I wouldn't do this until I have a good job and I'm out of college, so it's possible.

post #17 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-29-2016, 08:12 PM

If you can get it, get it and don't look back. By the time you finish school, the SS's will be affordable.

09 WH GT
Sport/Premium
Onyx/Red
Rotofab CAI
Cortex 93 tune
20% tint

I just wanted one.
post #18 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-29-2016, 11:19 PM

It's a good car. As long as you throw a respectable set of snow tires on it (and a bag of sand in the trunk wouldn't hurt) you'll do fine in the winter. I haven't been stuck in snow with this car once yet. I thought it would be bad at first but after my winter beater died I threw snow shoes on the G8 and haven't looked back since.

Adam (KNTRDR)
Burlington, ON
2009 G8 V6
post #19 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-01-2016, 06:47 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KNTRDR View Post
It's a good car. As long as you throw a respectable set of snow tires on it (and a bag of sand in the trunk wouldn't hurt) you'll do fine in the winter. I haven't been stuck in snow with this car once yet. I thought it would be bad at first but after my winter beater died I threw snow shoes on the G8 and haven't looked back since.

That's good to hear! What kind of snow tires do you use?

post #20 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-01-2016, 07:08 AM

Thank God I live in the south and don't need them, but my car had Blizzacks on it when I bought it. I think several members use them.

09 WH GT
Sport/Premium
Onyx/Red
Rotofab CAI
Cortex 93 tune
20% tint

I just wanted one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page