accomplished nothing such a noob..lol - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By mrathell
  • 1 Post By mrathell

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-11-2017, 04:53 PM Thread Starter

Garage
accomplished nothing such a noob..lol

well i bought new spark plugs, k&n oil filter bought the oil to change on my car. so i jack the car up but cant get it high enough to get my 230lbs ass under enough to change oil and change filter..lol.. So i gave up on that so on to spark plugs i unhook the air filter from the throttle body. take the 5 bolts out of the manifold unhook a few hoses and one bolt in the rear on the drivers side try to lift out the manifold the front lifts up but back isn't moving i looked around tried to feel around but couldn't figure it out. so my weekend project went from excitement to disappointment. i gave up till another day
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-11-2017, 05:11 PM

Sounds like a page from my book, I always start out with the best of intentions.
Its not like I'm inept or anything like that....well, face it, I am inept....
Luckily I have a GM mechanic and a GM employee living under my roof....here, take my Mastercard, fix it, and make sure I get your employee discounts.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-11-2017, 05:17 PM Thread Starter

Garage
whats your mastercard # ...lol

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-11-2017, 05:25 PM

ummm.. can i ask why are you taking your intake and throttle body off to change your plugs? is it a v6 and there is some need to remove those? its the first ive heard of that with the v6 that i can recall/
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-11-2017, 05:36 PM

wow, i just did a quick search of the spark plug procedure. i feel bad for you v6 guys its sounds like its a pain the arse just to do a simple plug swap.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-11-2017, 05:44 PM

It is a pain, apparently the plug life is 100,000 km....thanks for small miracles.
Why the 3.6 couldn't have stayed with the 3.8l or 6.0l style intake is a mystery to me.
There's a GM engineer who laughs himself to sleep every night thinking of that damn plenum he invented and the pain it has caused.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-12-2017, 09:05 AM

Yes, the plenum must be removed to change spark plugs on the V6 but it's easy-pesy.

1) Disconnect 4 hoses from plenum (one on the throttle body, one on the rear passenger side of plenum, one of the left side middle and one on the right side middle.
2) there is a plug to a sensor on the rear drivers side of the plenum that must be unplugged.
3) unplug plug from throttle body
4) remove 6 bolts and it slides right out.

You should be able to remove the plenum in 5 minutes (10 minutes for first timers).

Be very careful when removing the two hoses on the sides of the plenum. That is hard plastic so it would be easy to break and expensive to replace. I insert a flat blade screwdriver between the hose and the plenum and wiggle the screw driver to break the initial seal then pull it out by hand. Because the hose extends about 4 inches into the plenum I don't fully remove it , instead I leave it loosely in the plenum so when I remove the plenum they naturally slide out. When installing the plenum I rest those hoses back into the plenum first so the they naturally slide back in as the plenum is slide back into place.

There are 6 bolts you must remove not 5.

There is one bolt all the way back towards the firewall that must come out.

So the bolt pattern on the top of the plenum is as follows:

1 short bolt up toward the front of the plenum
4 longer bolts in the middle of the plenum
1 short bolt at the rear of the plenum (i believe this is the one you havent removed yet)

That bolt is a bit more difficult to remove due to it being under the engine bay ceiling. What I do is take a short socket (13mm I think) and put it on the bolt, then I take my smaller ratchet and connect it to the socket that is already on the bolt and un-tighten the bolt.

Once you break the initial tightness of the bolt you should be able to remove the ratchet but keep the socket on the bolt and use your fingers to turn the socket the rest of the way. The reason you may want to do it this way is because if you attempt to unscrew the bolt completely with the ratchet still on it you will not be able to remove the ratchet, socket or bolt due to it will be pressed against the ceiling of the engine bay so you won't have the room to remove it.
easternstud likes this.

2008 G8 V6: Eibach lowering springs, 18" staggered rims, K&N CAI, Series 4400 Flow Master axle backs with FlowMaster tips, radiator cover, tinted tails, silhouette of G8 third brake light.

Last edited by mrathell; 03-12-2017 at 09:17 AM.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-12-2017, 09:15 AM

Regarding your oil filter, you change that from the top of the engine. I believe I use a 3/4" wrench to open it.

You only need to go under the car to drain the fluid.
easternstud likes this.

2008 G8 V6: Eibach lowering springs, 18" staggered rims, K&N CAI, Series 4400 Flow Master axle backs with FlowMaster tips, radiator cover, tinted tails, silhouette of G8 third brake light.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-12-2017, 10:25 AM

10-4 on the back bolt, I took a stab at removing the plenum once and it left me a broken bitter man.
Les up here can have the thing off in minutes.
Thank you for an excellent write up, who knows I may take a shot it one day again.
Drive safe.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-12-2017, 06:23 PM Thread Starter

Garage
thanks the only wrench i didn't have was the 13mm..now i do thanks to harbor freight. bough ramps too and was able to get under enough to drain oil so hopefully next weekend change plugs. do i need to replace the gasket when i remove the manifold?
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-12-2017, 08:30 PM

In my opinion you don't have to. Its metal and the rubberized ring around the openings for the intake ports most likely will still look good.

The FELPRO aftermarket gaskets are very thin cheap cardboard.

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-12-2017, 08:39 PM

When you do take it off also have a can of throttle body cleaner and a tooth brush ready so you can remove the throttle body to clean all the carbon build up from inside it. It only takes 4 10mm bolts and the gasket can be reused.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-04-2017, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrathell View Post
In my opinion you don't have to...
+1 Didn't install a new intake manifold gasket after replacing the spark plugs awhile back with no adverse effects to date. Once we had the intake manifold unbolted, lifted it up just high enough to be able to remove the spark plugs. The gasket on the oil cap filter housing doesn't have to be replaced every oil change, but should be replaced after a few changes to avoid a leak around the cap. Lastly, the throttle body can be cleaned without removing it by spraying a stream of carburetor cleaner on the inside while the butterly valve is open. Of course, don't manually try to operate the valve since it could potentially damage the some of its mechanisms i.e. gears and motor(s). Just providing another alternative.

#NEVER GIVE UP
#AUDACITY OF HOPE

"Rather not run the risk of offending anyone, so let me just go ahead and offend someone". -PONY MAN

"When you write the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen". -UNKNOWN

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PONY MAN View Post
...... Lastly, the throttle body can be cleaned without removing it by spraying a stream of carburetor cleaner on the inside while the butterly valve is open. Of course, don't manually try to operate the valve since it could potentially damage the some of its mechanisms i.e. gears and motor(s). Just providing another alternative.
In what instance would the butterfly be open when the car isn't running? Of the dozen or so times I've dealt with the throttle body on my G8 I don't recall it ever being open while the car is off. I'm not doubting you, I'm just looking to learn new info whenever I can

You are 100% correct when you say the throttle body doesn't have to be removed to clean it, but IMO the majority of the carbon build up is on the back half of the throttle body so for the 2 minutes it takes to remove the throttle body it's more than worth it to be able to clean all of the carbon from the back side. I originally cleaned mine without removing the throttle body and I thought I did a dam good job but when i removed the throttle body I realized that there were spots missed.

Last edited by mrathell; 04-05-2017 at 07:25 AM.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrathell View Post
In what instance would the butterfly be open when the car isn't running? Of the dozen or so times I've dealt with the throttle body on my G8 I don't recall it ever being open while the car is off. I'm not doubting you, I'm just looking to learn new info whenever I can

You are 100% correct when you say the throttle body doesn't have to be removed to clean it, but IMO the majority of the carbon build up is on the back half of the throttle body so for the 2 minutes it takes to remove the throttle body it's more than worth it to be able to clean all of the carbon from the back side. I originally cleaned mine without removing the throttle body and I thought I did a dam good job but when i removed the throttle body I realized that there were spots missed.
Initially had reservations about manually opening and closing the throttle body butterfly valve; but was told it would be okay so held the valve open while spraying carburetor cleaner on the inside. The throttle position sensor (black box) on the side contains various mechanisms and upon starting the car had several check engine codes all pertaining to the throttle body. Asked a few questions on the forum and was told it would most likely have to be replaced due to presumably internal damage. Having nothing to lose decided to remove the throttle body just for the heck of it and didn't notice any sizeable accumulation of carbon deposits on the back. Eventually, GOPHERIT chimed in on the thread with a throttle body relearn procedure and that did the trick. No codes nor problems since. Should have gone with first train of thought, but believe the gentleman thought had a cable-styled versus an electronic throttle body. Going forward have used a variety of items to depress and release the accelerator pedal to open and close the butterfly valve.

#NEVER GIVE UP
#AUDACITY OF HOPE

"Rather not run the risk of offending anyone, so let me just go ahead and offend someone". -PONY MAN

"When you write the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen". -UNKNOWN

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page