Any Idea on this... - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-17-2017, 02:20 PM Thread Starter

Lightbulb Any Idea on this...

So I have been driving the G8 for about a week and it is amazing! But I drove one night on the road and heard a thump I thought it was a rock or just a bump in the road... Considering I was doing 72mph I didn't think anything of it when i arrived at my friends house it was normal. But then when I went to leave my car completely got stuck by nothing literally, I thought it was my breaks, But it was the back left tire... I was confused as so was my friend, we looked and could not find anything turns out there is something either stuck in my rotor behind the rock shield or the rotor is falling apart.. I did notice that the back rotor is starting to crack for when I drive it makes a loud scratching sound and thuds hard like my tire is falling off... Now sense i know what the problem is how do I fix it? Obviously take the tire off but I can't seem to get it off with an axial wrench because I guess they have been torqued on tight. Any ideas on what i should do? I did try bending the shield back away from the rotor but there sounds like there is something stuck in it... I have to drive it home and am worried that it might cause the rotor to crack completely and fall off.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-17-2017, 02:28 PM

Could be your parking brake. It is incorporated in the hat of the rotor.

2009 PBM GT
Under the Knife Again
Wiseco Pistons, K1 Rods, Johnson Lifters, BLP Keep Hatin' PDS Cam, Roto-Fab, BLP Ported Intake and Throttle Body, Kooks 1-7/8 long tubes, XForce Varex Catback, ZL1 Converter, Camaro Trans Pan/Filter, GXP Brembos
Breyton GTS-AV Wheels, 6k HIDs, Holden Steering Wheel and Paddle Shifters, Eibach Springs, 35% Tint
Tuned by Day Tuning
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-17-2017, 02:59 PM

Garage
A knock like that is hard to judge at speed. Almost anything would make such a sound, including the aforementioned parking break. So would a moving caliper, a cracking rotor striking the pad at speed, or even something hitting the hub.

The lug nuts are obviously knucklehead tight. These tire shops go at them with an air wrench. When I did my suspension I had to give it everything that I had when removing them after a recent tire install; totally unacceptable. Try some penetrating oil, let it sit for a while, and then go at it with a thick breaker bar and extension.

Then you can inspect the wheel hub and brakes to see what happened.

If your car has a lot of miles, I strongly suggest a AAA membership. $114 a year and rollbacks are free within 100 miles. Then you could have it taken either to a shop or your house; your choice. Consider it.

'09 PSM G8 GT - OPG Intake, DOD-Delete w/ Stage 1C 218/229 .600 Lift 117.5LSA, Kooks 1 7/8 Mids, Solo Axle-Back w/ X-Pipe, SuperPro Bushings (Front and Rear). BMR Sway Bars (Red)
Power: 400HP/392TQ

"If you want to criticize someone else's work, be sure that your own is in order first."

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-17-2017, 04:33 PM

AAA is a good idea especially a car with that many miles. i have the Premier coverage and i also get one 200 mile tow. altho my GXP has only 19k miles i have 4 other cars with low and various miles. it is always comforting to know within a certain distance u can always get home or to your mechanic at N/C. plus ANY car you are in can be towed N/C. plus always have regular inspections on a high mileage car, its all about preventative maintenance. Happy Motoring!
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-18-2017, 07:03 AM Thread Starter

I appreciate the replies and help guys! I have never heard of AAA, but it sounds like coverage sorta? I do have my friend who owns a repair shop and towing company (Wagners Towing) Which they have helped me murmurous times, but I have a mechanic and towing company so I don't really need that I don't think but I will look into it. I do know that my parking break doesn't really stop the car I put the car in neutral and pulled the break up all the way and it kept rolling so I think that is disabled... Also my rock shield is damaged pretty bad on the left side in the back, which I am assuming it is from the rock stuck in there... But I am not sure still I will try taking the tire off sometime here soon and go from there... And my only concern is that the rotor has a crack in it so I am not to sure if it is safe to pull off. Thank you all for the help!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-18-2017, 07:26 AM
FMQ

Garage
You can get it off once the wheel is removed but sometimes the rotor sticks to the hub because of rust buildup. The stock rotors on these cars are pretty robust but there have been cracked rotors before.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]09.1 G8 GT Sp. Prem. w GXP Facia. Roto Fab covers +chrome caps / Spyder Tail Lamps/VIM Hack c/w rear cam. BMR Sways/ Arms/ Toe Rods/ Rear Cradle Inserts+ Diff bushings/H&R Coilovers / Russell ss lines w CTSV Calipers+2015 SS Rotors . Staggered Avant Garde M310's . KOOKS Mids w HFCs. Corsa w Volant CAI /Dr. Phil 91 Octane Tune on Dyno. RCR Intake & TB/Catch Can w Little Lunati DoD Delete. ZL1 Converter and CNC'd heads by Aggressive Performance MI.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page