Tire help... - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By BAS G8
  • 1 Post By ninety6

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-20-2017, 10:25 AM Thread Starter

Question Tire help...

So My car was recently bought a week ago and I have a problem with the back left tire... It has something either stuck between the rock shield and the rotor or its worse, like the hub assembly and rotor. Now the rotor needs replaced anyway, but I don't know the problem. So here is my main question I can't get the tire to come off, the bolts wont nudge? It is on so tight it is causing the back left rotor to crack... And on top of that I tried my personal Air Drill and my axial to get it off and even with the help of my brother I could not get the bolts to budge... Any ideas on why they might be so tight? All tires are like that so I am wondering if the tires had to be put on with a certain amount of torque? Cause I can't get them off myself I am going to see my friend who is a mechanic and he is going to use his tools to take it off for he has a lot more stronger machines to use. But my whole question I guess is, is there a certain amount of torque needed for the G8 tires?

Thanks and sorry that may sound confusing, I am unsure how to even address this... LOL But if anyone knows if our tire bolts have to be torqued on a certain amount let me know please. Thank you all for the help!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-20-2017, 10:33 AM

Thru investigation when I swap out to snows 120 lbs is the torque rate I found.
Pontiacman122 likes this.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-20-2017, 11:23 PM

That's 120 lb-ft.

Also, every threaded fastener has a torque limit, not just the ones holding the wheels on.

If you live someplace that uses salt on the roads to melt snow and ice, the wheel nuts could get rusted on like I found on my truck a few years ago.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-21-2017, 01:39 AM

Some people over tight these because they do not know better.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]K&N CAI, Pypes headers, Solo HFC's,Solo axle backs, Custom tune, FE3 Struts & Shocks, White line bushings & bearings, Rear Cradle inserts, Moog end links.Little lunati cam,SLP 25 %UDP, AC tensioner upgrade.15% tint.12" sub woofer with amp.Future upgrade Power slot rotors & posi quiet pads.

V6 Spectre CAI, Original Overkill tune,FE3 Struts & Shocks, White line bushings & bearings, BMR Rear Cradle inserts, Moog end links.12" sub woofer with amp.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-21-2017, 05:43 AM

Believe the factory torque specification for wheel lugnuts is 125 ft-lb. One time the guy at a tire changing place stripped a lugnut on a wheel, didn't say a mumbling word and it was months later when the tires needed to be balanced and rotated before it was discovered. Have seen tire shops on other customer's cars hit every lugnut three times even after the socket releases and starts making that jack hammer sound. Generally speaking, once any work is performed requiring the removal of a wheel will go home and re-torque each lugnut to around 75 ft-lb. Grant it, don't drive nearly as fast as I used to and 75 ft-lb might be a little too low for many. Also, the lugnuts are supposed to be tightened in a diagonal pattern versus the typical clockwise or counter-clockwise rotation. You'll just have to find a place with a powerful enough tool to remove the lugnuts and may want to try some penetrating lubricant if indeed they have rusted on or seized over a period of time.

#NEVER GIVE UP
#AUDACITY OF HOPE

"Rather not run the risk of offending anyone, so let me just go ahead and offend someone". -PONY MAN

"When you write the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen". -UNKNOWN

Last edited by PONY MAN; 10-23-2017 at 08:47 AM. Reason: typographical error
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-23-2017, 07:17 AM Thread Starter

Issue was fixed... Turns out my whole problem was with the parking break and my rotor... So I never use the parking break at all, but when my mechanic took my tire off and we pulled the rotor off it had iron pieces in it and it was causing my rotor to crack and get stuck this ended up stopping the car.. I replaced the rotor and the issue was completely fixed. Never seen this happen before but lol.. Its fixed and im happy lol. Thanks for the help guys!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image1.jpg (20.1 KB, 14 views)
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-23-2017, 07:23 AM
every village has one

Nasty stuff! Never seen that before.

things are not as they appear to be.........

2009.5 LiquidRed/OnyxRed, Premium Package
e85 Surprise Package
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-05-2017, 07:09 PM

Garage
Strange issue! Glad it was fairly easy.

if the parking brake was engaged while driving, it could have caused the rotor to get extremely hot, contributing to the cracking. would think you'd have smelled burning brakes though?

anyway, glad it got fixed!
Pontiacman122 likes this.

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-05-2017, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninety6 View Post
...if the parking brake was engaged while driving, it could have caused the rotor to get extremely hot, contributing to the cracking. would think you'd have smelled burning brakes though? anyway, glad it got fixed!
It's possible, but would think either the chime or driver information center message would prevent it from happening presuming the parking brake switch works although stranger things have happened.

#NEVER GIVE UP
#AUDACITY OF HOPE

"Rather not run the risk of offending anyone, so let me just go ahead and offend someone". -PONY MAN

"When you write the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen". -UNKNOWN

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-06-2017, 06:50 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PONY MAN View Post
It's possible, but would think either the chime or driver information center message would prevent it from happening presuming the parking brake switch works although stranger things have happened.
Yeah but the parking break has never been touched lol? So thats why I was confused on how it got stuck, But either way its fixed and I am happy lol. Thanks for the help !
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-06-2017, 07:09 AM

I apply 110 Lbs on a cross pattern. When I need a tire chance, I take all the wheels off, clean the rim, remove all weights, take the new tires with the wheels to the shop. Always buy the tires on line at Tire Rack.

US Army Retired 1986~2008

Fortune Favors The Bold
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page