Pontiac G8 Forum banner

Tire help...

1K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  Richard Craneum 
#1 ·
So My car was recently bought a week ago and I have a problem with the back left tire... It has something either stuck between the rock shield and the rotor or its worse, like the hub assembly and rotor. Now the rotor needs replaced anyway, but I don't know the problem. So here is my main question I can't get the tire to come off, the bolts wont nudge? It is on so tight it is causing the back left rotor to crack... And on top of that I tried my personal Air Drill and my axial to get it off and even with the help of my brother I could not get the bolts to budge... Any ideas on why they might be so tight? All tires are like that so I am wondering if the tires had to be put on with a certain amount of torque? Cause I can't get them off myself I am going to see my friend who is a mechanic and he is going to use his tools to take it off for he has a lot more stronger machines to use. But my whole question I guess is, is there a certain amount of torque needed for the G8 tires?

Thanks and sorry that may sound confusing, I am unsure how to even address this... LOL But if anyone knows if our tire bolts have to be torqued on a certain amount let me know please. Thank you all for the help!! :hail:

#4 ·
Some people over tight these because they do not know better.

#5 · (Edited)
Believe the factory torque specification for wheel lugnuts is 125 ft-lb. One time the guy at a tire changing place stripped a lugnut on a wheel, didn't say a mumbling word and it was months later when the tires needed to be balanced and rotated before it was discovered. Have seen tire shops on other customer's cars hit every lugnut three times even after the socket releases and starts making that jack hammer sound. Generally speaking, once any work is performed requiring the removal of a wheel will go home and re-torque each lugnut to around 75 ft-lb. Grant it, don't drive nearly as fast as I used to and 75 ft-lb might be a little too low for many. Also, the lugnuts are supposed to be tightened in a diagonal pattern versus the typical clockwise or counter-clockwise rotation. You'll just have to find a place with a powerful enough tool to remove the lugnuts and may want to try some penetrating lubricant if indeed they have rusted on or seized over a period of time.

#6 ·
Issue was fixed... Turns out my whole problem was with the parking break and my rotor... So I never use the parking break at all, but when my mechanic took my tire off and we pulled the rotor off it had iron pieces in it and it was causing my rotor to crack and get stuck this ended up stopping the car.. I replaced the rotor and the issue was completely fixed. Never seen this happen before but lol.. Its fixed and im happy lol. Thanks for the help guys!:grin2:

Attachments

#9 ·
...if the parking brake was engaged while driving, it could have caused the rotor to get extremely hot, contributing to the cracking. would think you'd have smelled burning brakes though? anyway, glad it got fixed!
It's possible, but would think either the chime or driver information center message would prevent it from happening presuming the parking brake switch works although stranger things have happened.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.