Airbag Codes Won't Go Away - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-31-2018, 04:23 PM Thread Starter

Airbag Codes Won't Go Away

Hey, unfortunately got in a crash with my g8. Driver airbag deployed and front seat belts went too. I have replaced the airbag, seat belts as well as the airbag & diagnostics module that is supposed to store the codes and the codes are still showing up. I have no clue how as I thought they were stored on the module. Any suggestions on why they're still there or if there is another part that stores the abs codes that I can replace?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-31-2018, 06:43 PM

The manual does say that along with the bag, that any seat belt that triggered its pretension-er, needs to be replaced (as noted). Can't find any printed wording that says you have to replace the SDM due to what happened. But for peace of mind, I can understand. But it does say any new or used module will require *it* to be programed to your car, or it will not work. The SDM is the module that stores the fault codes. I counted an found 114 fault codes that the SDM will store for this SRS system. I have to believe that you have the "AIR BAG" display on all the time. All of the codes are body codes. If you are lucky enough to have a scanner that can display those B codes, even one current fault is enough to keep that system fault display on. I can't tell you to reinstall the original SDM to see if the system corrects itself. But (if the service manual is correct) you must reprogram the new SDM to have any chance of the system self testing itself (which is continuous with ignition on).
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-31-2018, 07:13 PM

Find a scanner and post the codes, we can then point you in the right direction.

If seatbelts went, so did pretensioners that are mounted to bottom of drivers and passengers seat. Just as "GOPHERIT" mentioned. They are not expensive, don't waste your time with used ones.

Yes, the SDM needs to be reprogrammed. Once its programmed and all of the blown airbag/pretensioners/etc have been replaced, the light should go off by itself. Alternatively you can clear it using a scan tool. It will not let you clear codes from the sdm if there is still a fault with any of the pieces that make up the supplemental restraint system.

2011 GMC 2500HD CCLB LML
2008 GMC Yukon XL Denali
2009 SBM G8 V6 - LS Swapped as of 7/18/18

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-01-2018, 12:55 PM Thread Starter

Right now with the new SDM I'm getting 3 body codes; B0015-0D - LF Pretensioner, B0022-0D - RF Pretensioner, and B0996-00 - unknown DTC. With the old SDM I was getting 10 body codes. When I try to clear the codes on my scanner (Foxwell ABS & Airbag NT630 Elite) nothing happens. I'm not sure why I'm still getting the pretensioner codes when I've replaced both of them. I've tested them and they seem to lock up when I brake as they should. Do I just need to take it to the dealership to have them reprogram the SDM?
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-01-2018, 01:02 PM

Did you replace these?

The B0996 is a vin mis-match. This means your SDM has not been programmed to your car.

2011 GMC 2500HD CCLB LML
2008 GMC Yukon XL Denali
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-01-2018, 01:07 PM

Garage
LOL. Sometimes I'm too quick to shoot from the hip.

'09 PSM G8 GT - OPG Intake, DOD-Delete w/ Stage 1C 218/229 .600 Lift 117.5LSA, Kooks 1 7/8 Mids, Solo Axle-Back w/ X-Pipe, SuperPro Bushings (Front and Rear). BMR Sway Bars (Red)
Power: 400HP/392TQ

"If you want to criticize someone else's work, be sure that your own is in order first."

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-01-2018, 03:54 PM Thread Starter

No, I didn't replace those. I thought the presentioner was part of the belt in the b-pillar. If those are what need to be replaced do you have any idea what the part number is? Also how or where can I get the SDM programmed to my vin? dealership?
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-01-2018, 04:11 PM

This is one intriguing/complicating system. "pl_silverado" looks to be posting the correct solution here. They say you *have* to replace the entire seat belt assembly, if that seat fired off its initiator gas cartridges. There's one in the seat belt pre-tensioner retractor section (at the base of the B pillar), an one in the seat buckle pre-tensioner assembly. So both sections of the belt(s) would be required to be replaced. Once the initiator has fired off, its loop resistance goes above or below the loop resistance value that the SDM must see. You *could* run a test of those seat belt buckle portions by disconnecting their 2 pin connectors. A good circuit would have a value between 1.2 an 5.5 ohms. If you were to jump the 2 pin connectors with a 3 ohm resistor, the SDM would then see a value indicating a good loop (an I'm sure would cancel those 2 fault codes you have). With the circuit reading about 3 ohms from both buckle portions, and your original SDM module installed, I suspect the system would test good. If your out getting 2 new buckle sections, you should end up with the same results as above.

added info. I see the buckle sections are still available for about $88 an up for each with P/N's 19205508 an 19205509

Last edited by GOPHERIT; 09-01-2018 at 04:48 PM. Reason: added info
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-01-2018, 04:48 PM

About $100 a piece.

Dealer can program your SDM once those are replaced. Or you can do it yourself using a j2534 pass thru and ACDelco tds website.

I figured this system out last year when I rebuilt my car.

2011 GMC 2500HD CCLB LML
2008 GMC Yukon XL Denali
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-01-2018, 04:58 PM

If those are alternate or superseded P/N's, I stand corrected. Good find
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-01-2018, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOPHERIT View Post
If those are alternate or superseded P/N's, I stand corrected. Good find

Thatís a picture from my invoice from earlier this year. Theyíve been superseded a few times now, Iím not sure which is current but I know my part numbers work for a fact as I had the same codes.

2011 GMC 2500HD CCLB LML
2008 GMC Yukon XL Denali
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-02-2018, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DistortedLite View Post
No, I didn't replace those. I thought the presentioner was part of the belt in the b-pillar. If those are what need to be replaced do you have any idea what the part number is? Also how or where can I get the SDM programmed to my vin? dealership?
Where are you located? I have a TechII if you're in the KCMO area hit me up, I may be able to help.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-03-2018, 10:11 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ls1nova71 View Post
Where are you located? I have a TechII if you're in the KCMO area hit me up, I may be able to help.
No I'm in Canada but thanks for the offer
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-08-2018, 08:51 AM

Don't mean to hijack the thread but 3 years ago I hit a curb doing 80I deployed to airbags on the passenger side the seat in the overhead I replaced the whole suspension on the passenger side And all the brake calipers brake lines are now New but the car doesn't stop like I used to I don't think the ABS works is good never replaced the air bags any suggestions why ? There was no body damage

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page