Oil in my radiator - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-10-2018, 12:40 PM Thread Starter

Oil in my radiator

Hello im new to the forum. My problem is that im getting oil im my radiator and i checked my oil and there is no coolant in my. So any help on solving this problem would greatly be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-10-2018, 01:54 PM

Hard to tell with the description given.

Is the car overheating?
Is it rough idling? (Not DoD rough idle. Worse than usual.)?
Any change in behavior/performance?
Any Mods?

What color is the oil? If I remember correctly our radiators also house a trans cooler on the bottom, if the oil is red, then there might be a leak between the two.

Are coolant levels depleting?

Could be a few things, could be a blown head gasket, damage to heads/valve-body. Or someone had a special moment and poured the oil into the wrong orifice.

I'm by no means an expert, but that comes to mind.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-10-2018, 01:55 PM
Grease Monkey

Garage
Did you actually test for coolant in your oil, or did you just not see milkshake?

Ported TVS1900 OD cogs 10.5psi | ID850 | Vaporworx CTS-V 1:1 | COMP 219/233 .606"/.605" 113+1 | Ported TB | Pacesetter 1 3/4 LT | Solo Mach X3

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-10-2018, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnagexz View Post
What color is the oil? If I remember correctly our radiators also house a trans cooler on the bottom, if the oil is red, then there might be a leak between the two.
Yes, the trans cooler is in the bottom of the radiator. I'd start here.

2009 PBM GT
Under the Knife Again
Wiseco Pistons, K1 Rods, Johnson Lifters, BLP Keep Hatin' PDS Cam, Roto-Fab, BLP Ported Intake and Throttle Body, Kooks 1-7/8 long tubes, XForce Varex Catback, ZL1 Converter, Camaro Trans Pan/Filter, GXP Brembos
Breyton GTS-AV Wheels, 6k HIDs, Holden Steering Wheel and Paddle Shifters, Eibach Springs, 35% Tint
Tuned by Day Tuning
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-10-2018, 02:05 PM

Welcome to the forum. Check the engine oil dipstick both for oil level and hue.

#NEVER GIVE UP
#AUDACITY OF HOPE

"Rather not run the risk of offending anyone, so let me just go ahead and offend someone". -PONY MAN

"When you write the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen". -UNKNOWN

post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-10-2018, 02:08 PM Thread Starter

Its a chocolate color its not running hot its still ideals quietly the only reason it was brought to my attention is the oil light came on i dont think its transmission fluid cause then I'll have a pinkish tint
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-10-2018, 02:10 PM Thread Starter

Oil level is good and no due or moisture on dip stick
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-10-2018, 02:13 PM Thread Starter

Radiator cap
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9569_1539198793006.jpg (9.3 KB, 14 views)
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-10-2018, 02:27 PM

Which oil light....does the instrument cluster read check engine oil or service engine oil? Check engine appears when oil pressure or oil level is too low. Service engine oil deals with the oil life monitoring system and might necessitate an oil change and/or resetting the oil life monitor. Our vehicles use DEX-Cool and it turns a coffee/mud color when exposed to air. Is only the fluid on the radiator cap this way? Have you checked the coolant reservoir dipstick for fluid color/consistency? Hopefully, the only thing needed to remedy the problem is another radiator cap.

#NEVER GIVE UP
#AUDACITY OF HOPE

"Rather not run the risk of offending anyone, so let me just go ahead and offend someone". -PONY MAN

"When you write the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen". -UNKNOWN

post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-10-2018, 02:40 PM Thread Starter

It said check upur oil
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-10-2018, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awmims View Post
It said check upur oil
If its check and not service, then that usually means that there is something with low oil level or low pressure.

When was the last time you've had the oil changed? Or coolant changed?

Also, is the car stock?

Has it had any work done on it?
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-10-2018, 03:11 PM

Also I forgot to ask, before we start assuming. Is it a Base? GT? Or GXP?
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-10-2018, 03:25 PM Thread Starter

It is stock had a brand new radiator put in recently its a v6 mechanics or thinking oil filter housing
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-10-2018, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awmims View Post
It is stock had a brand new radiator put in recently its a v6 mechanics or thinking oil filter housing

You can see the oil filter housing easy on alloytech. If I am not mistaken, oil filter housing should be sitting on the drivers side of the engine, in this capsule looking thing. Common failure point on it happens when its over torqued, i think proper is 9 lbs. Has a tendency to crack. Take a look, if its looks all nasty, could be it.

However it wouldn't cause the oil to appear in the radiator.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-11-2018, 07:50 AM Thread Starter

Im gonna have to agree with you cause the part say without oil cooler
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-11-2018, 07:52 AM Thread Starter

To give more description of the car its a 2008 v6 no mods or aftermarket parts oil is recently new radiator was change 5 months ago due to a crack. There is no coolant in the oil how ever there is oil in the coolant
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-11-2018, 08:11 AM

From the completely un-educated here, it may just be sludge that builds up over a number of years/miles.
My V6 is about to roll 200K, when I had my cooling woes last year got the milkshake gunk in the rad cap.
Cleaned it up and haven't seem it since.
My oil is changed every 7000K, the coolant was swapped out at 140km when I got the car and 3-4 times more because of my cooling woes.
Not much more here to help other than....that's life owning a G8, clean it up and keep an eye on it.
Good luck.
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-11-2018, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAS G8 View Post
From the completely un-educated here, it may just be sludge that builds up over a number of years/miles.
My V6 is about to roll 200K, when I had my cooling woes last year got the milkshake gunk in the rad cap.
Cleaned it up and haven't seem it since.
My oil is changed every 7000K, the coolant was swapped out at 140km when I got the car and 3-4 times more because of my cooling woes.
Not much more here to help other than....that's life owning a G8, clean it up and keep an eye on it.
Good luck.
I agree, I mean if there is no evidence of coolant getting into the engine block, and the engine is not overheating. (Or sounding like a running diesel.) Then I'd just change the oil and coolant (along with the oil filter) while examining everything for any abnormalities.

Probably the 100% way to determine if it is really engine oil in the radiator. If the brown stuff turns up as globs (think lava lamp) after you collect the fluid then its engine oil. If its just brown colored, then that is just dirty coolant.

The worrying part is the oil pressure/low level warning. If that came up but the engine is running fine and oil & Cooler levels are normal, (no weird behavior from the car either) then it might actually be a bad oil pressure sensor giving you a false positive.

But I'd definitely change the fluids first and examine for any signs of leaks/cracks, to rule that out. After wards you can take it for a test drive to see if there are any changes in behavior. Aside from car acting a bit more 'awake' from having fresh coolant put in.

As for oil filter housing, there are a few videos on that on YouTube by Aussie mechanics, I don't remember the title but your car trim is called Holden Commodore VE SV6 in Aussie-land so searching for that may help.
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-12-2018, 06:07 AM

Could be the oil pressure sensor port is clogged producing a lower than actual pressure reading. Try removing the oil filter and cleaning the inside of the housing with a suitable solvent. Alternatively, disconnect the sensor and connect a manual gauge to the port for a numerical value. Good luck

#NEVER GIVE UP
#AUDACITY OF HOPE

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page