2008 g8 base supercharger - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com
 3Likes
  • 2 Post By GTRenegade911
  • 1 Post By MGMGXP

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 03:23 AM Thread Starter

2008 g8 base supercharger

Asking for opinions, I'm trying to up the hp on my v6 g8 but I'm on a budget. I already have a few mods and its tuned. I was thinking a supercharger, does anyone know where I can get a used one for less money? Would I be able to get one from another make of pontiac, Chevy or GM? Its a 3.6l. Would one work off of a grand prix? I was also thinking of possibly putting a turbo on it because its a lot less expensive. Any opinions and help would be gladly appreciated. Something to make it have a little more get up and go.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 03:29 AM Thread Starter

Would it just be better to swap out my v6 for either a 6.0 or 6.2 out of a gt or gxp? How difficult would the process be? I'm assuming fairly easy, if I'm just swapping the motor and trans, everything else looks the same under the hood. Would I have to do any modifications? Looks to be the same layout underneath.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 04:58 AM
F1rehawk

Garage
No such thing as adding a supercharger or turbo on a budget. You gotta pay to play, and you get what you pay for. Most kits are over 6K, not factoring in all the supports mods you will need.

Enjoy your V6 with base modifications, or sell it and get a V8.
tchr49 and MGMGXP like this.

2009 SRM PONTIAC G8 GT
VCM OTR Cold Air Intake
Kooks Long Tube Headers / HF Cats
Solo Mach Shorty Catback
Continental Extreme Contact DWS6 Tires
Shadow Chrome Camaro SS Wheels
91 Octane Tune @ JLS Tuning Performance

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 05:34 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRenegade911 View Post
No such thing as adding a supercharger or turbo on a budget. You gotta pay to play, and you get what you pay for. Most kits are over 6K, not factoring in all the supports mods you will need.

Enjoy your V6 with base modifications, or sell it and get a V8.
Thank you, I understand its going to be a bit pricey. Budget meaning a few thousand bucks. Like is there other models I can use superchargers from? Like camaro's, grand prix's etc. I'm trying to find a used or rebuilt one to save some money. I was also thinking of dropping a turbo in it or finding a used 6.0 or 6.2 to drop in it. It looks like everything is pretty similar and I have the clearance under the hood for it. Its the same layout on all the g8's they just put the different displacements in. Do you know how much modifying I would have to do if i went that route and dropped either a 6.0 or a 6.2? I'm leaning more on the ls3.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 08:07 AM

I could be way off, but I think a supercharger setup could easily end up running you close to $7k+. A full V8 swap, depending on if you find used, and if you do the swap yourself or not, could also range anywhere from $5k to as much as $20k+ if you go crazy and get a brand new crate w/tranny. For reference, a brand new LS3 crate with automatic trans is like $17k.

I know what you're looking to do has been done, but I certainly don't have the details or specs to be of much help.... I know I tried to look at SC kits for this engine years ago and was disappointed that the entry point seemed to be about $7k.

Honestly, I think your best bet is a full V8 swap if you find something good used. It *could* end up being cheaper, more powerful, and leave you with more options for future mods too than a very rare & limited SC-V6 would.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 08:25 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbortz34 View Post
I could be way off, but I think a supercharger setup could easily end up running you close to $7k+. A full V8 swap, depending on if you find used, and if you do the swap yourself or not, could also range anywhere from $5k to as much as $20k+ if you go crazy and get a brand new crate w/tranny. For reference, a brand new LS3 crate with automatic trans is like $17k. Thank you

I know what you're looking to do has been done, but I certainly don't have the details or specs to be of much help.... I know I tried to look at SC kits for this engine years ago and was disappointed that the entry point seemed to be about $7k.

Honestly, I think your best bet is a full V8 swap if you find something good used. It *could* end up being cheaper, more powerful, and leave you with more options for future mods too than a very rare & limited SC-V6 would.
Thank you, I really appreciate your time and info. What are your thoughts on dropping a turbo in?
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 09:54 AM

Like everyone said, you would be far better off getting a V8. Turbo or supercharging it will cost a helluva lot more. Besides, would you really want a used turbo or supercharger on your car? I wouldn't.

Good luck to you.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 12:37 PM

I hate to say it as I've been in your position, but use the few grand u were going to put into modding the LY7 on finding a well maintained GT. I went from a V6 130 000km with an intake and muffler delete to a GT 330 000 km all highway and couldn't be any happier. The GT is so much more of a solid built vehicle. But I did love my V6 for the 3 years I had her.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 03:21 PM

Here's a link to one of the cheapest Centrifugal Super Chargers I've seen:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/VE-V6-Vorte...T/162030546364
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 04:55 PM

These threads never get old.
BAS G8 likes this.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGMGXP View Post
These threads never get old.
Yeah, can't blame a guy for trying though....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page