V8 Custom Exhaust on V6? - Page 2 - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-27-2010, 12:51 PM

I may post something up in the WTB section, although I'd hate to see the others go. Any idea on what shipping would be? I thinking about $70. I know it depends on where from and where to? A guesstimate. THANKS

#NEVER GIVE UP
#AUDACITY OF HOPE

"Don't want to run the risk of offending anybody, so let me just go ahead and offend somebody". -David L.

"When you write the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen". -UNKNOWN

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-27-2010, 12:53 PM Thread Starter

$70 seems about right. They're not particularly heavy, but they'd need to be packed nicely to protect the tips.
post #23 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-27-2010, 01:12 PM
DINSTAAR

Got me thinking too. Damn you people, you suck!

Wifes: 09 G8 Liquid Red w/mods
Mine: 04 GTO Quicksilver M12 w/mods
05 CTS-V

post #24 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-27-2010, 04:31 PM

If you are only concerned with looks, by all means, but both looks and sound, SOLO can't really be beat.

2009 Panther Black Metallic G8 V6
Comfort And Sound Package, Sunroof, Solo Axle Back Exhaust, 20% Tint All Around,
Sport Pedals, OEM Trunk Liner, Weathertech Floor Liner

2011 Chevrolet Silverado LTZ
2007 Chevrolet Cobalt - Sold

V6 Registry - Click for more info

post #25 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-27-2010, 04:39 PM Thread Starter

To be fair, looks and sound cost big money, and just the looks were free.

And, if we're going to get into that debate, then we could even go as far as saying that just looks and sound is sort of tacky, and that if you want a true exhaust system you'd need looks, sound, and performance. Therefore, you'd need a full catback setup. For me, I want all or none. I'm happy with the looks until I can afford to drop $1300 on a full setup. Just the sound with nothing to back it up is kind of weak, IMO. Axlebacks are kind of like glorified/expensive fart cans. You only modify the acoustics, not how the engine breathes.
post #26 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-27-2010, 05:14 PM

Have you seen the inside of the stock mufflers? Anything is an improvement over them! But I have to agree, but you are not going to gain all that much with the V6, which is partially the reason for the lack of products.

Comfort And Sound Package, Sunroof, Solo Axle Back Exhaust, 20% Tint All Around,

Last edited by Canadarob; 09-27-2010 at 05:19 PM.
post #27 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-27-2010, 08:57 PM
DINSTAAR

The wife don't care about sound, looks, or performance. If that was a concern for her she would have gone for the GT. For me its just the looks, like I said before. GM V6's is not that great of sounding V6, I wouldn't want to make it louder than stock. The best V6 sound comes from a G35, ect.

05 CTS-V
post #28 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-27-2010, 10:38 PM

Guess a sound video clip is out of the question, right? I like the quad tips, I like the SOLOs but want it somewhere between stock sound and the Solos. So if I cannot get that, I will post a WTB for some stock mufflers off a GT. Suggest that we do this fairly and those ahead on the posts in front of me get the first shot.

Now - 2011 Cadillac CTS - Raven Black 3.0 DI - Fully loaded, and yes, mods have begun!

Had - 2009 V6 Sport Red Metallic, Premium and Comfort Package. Sunroof. Modifications: Pedders Street II Package with Sway Bars and STB. Full Bra and Side Mirror Bras, Hacked Atari Gauges, Auto Dimming Rear Mirror, Racemesh Grills. Glove Box Light, Factory Bluetooth, BMR subframe and tunnel braces, BMR Rear Adjustable Toe Links, SPOHN Rear LCA and Trailing Arms. Infinity Kappa Speakers GO SAINTS
post #29 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-27-2010, 10:53 PM
DINSTAAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panzer Leader View Post
Guess a sound video clip is out of the question, right? I like the quad tips, I like the SOLOs but want it somewhere between stock sound and the Solos. So if I cannot get that, I will post a WTB for some stock mufflers off a GT. Suggest that we do this fairly and those ahead on the posts in front of me get the first shot.
Go for it. I have too much on my plate allready, so I'm one less person you have to worry about. When you do it, please don't post any pictures, because I don't want to see it Also I think the GXP muffs are the same too. Keep that in mind. You may want to ask a GXP katt if he has the same part number as what Bad Karma posted.

05 CTS-V

Last edited by gm4life; 09-27-2010 at 10:56 PM.
post #30 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-28-2010, 01:14 AM Thread Starter

I'm surprised how much interest this garnered. Between my exhaust and my GT sport 19"s, all I'm missing is the door handles (and the LS2) to complete my GT build.
post #31 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-28-2010, 05:17 AM

Well, the and the rest of the powertrain? That's pretty cool though

post #32 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-28-2010, 07:58 AM
Administrator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gm4life View Post
Go for it. I have too much on my plate allready, so I'm one less person you have to worry about. When you do it, please don't post any pictures, because I don't want to see it Also I think the GXP muffs are the same too. Keep that in mind. You may want to ask a GXP katt if he has the same part number as what Bad Karma posted.
I believe the internals of the GT mufflers verses the GXP mufflers is a bit different. There are people who have the GT's that get headers (louder than stock) and switch from GT muffs to GXP muffs, and they say that that's a sweet spot, again, for the GT crowd. This also drives up the 'resale' price up on GXP mufflers, where I've seen them go quickly for several hundred dollars on the boards and ebay alike.

Best to shop around for used / discarded GT mufflers, if you're looking for just "looks". Or, find some tips and pay a muffler shop $30 to cut off your stock v6 muff tips and tack weld the replacement tips on. May be cheaper in the long run, especially if you need to ship those heavy GT mufflers from out-of-state to you.

My stock GT tips were corroded and rusted before I took delivery of my car! I couldn't wait to get them off, I hated them. 3.5" tips FTW.

Again, it's just for looks with the V6, so why not find tips that YOU like at a local shop like pep boys or a local muffler shop and inquire about their rates to cut your stock "single" tips off and weld the new tips on. It would take a good exhaust guy less than 10 minutes to do! You may be surprised as how cheap that can be!

2009.1 ZEPCOM MGM G8 GT
Kooks LT's, SOLO HFC & Mach Unbalanced with J-pipes, SLP Tips.
Livernois tune, VCM, FE3's, full Holden blue gauges conversion, iphone on display. Daily Driver FTW
The ZEPCOM G8 was SOLO's test mule
www.youtube.com/zepcom

Bought 3/30/2009, retired 7/18/2017 at 136k miles, still strong. Been a great ride, she will be missed!
post #33 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-28-2010, 08:12 AM

Totally correct ZEPCOM. That was another avenue that I was going to look at. Have thought of other styles as well.

Now - 2011 Cadillac CTS - Raven Black 3.0 DI - Fully loaded, and yes, mods have begun!

Had - 2009 V6 Sport Red Metallic, Premium and Comfort Package. Sunroof. Modifications: Pedders Street II Package with Sway Bars and STB. Full Bra and Side Mirror Bras, Hacked Atari Gauges, Auto Dimming Rear Mirror, Racemesh Grills. Glove Box Light, Factory Bluetooth, BMR subframe and tunnel braces, BMR Rear Adjustable Toe Links, SPOHN Rear LCA and Trailing Arms. Infinity Kappa Speakers GO SAINTS
post #34 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-28-2010, 11:37 AM
DINSTAAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by zepcom View Post
I believe the internals of the GT mufflers verses the GXP mufflers is a bit different. There are people who have the GT's that get headers (louder than stock) and switch from GT muffs to GXP muffs, and they say that that's a sweet spot, again, for the GT crowd. This also drives up the 'resale' price up on GXP mufflers, where I've seen them go quickly for several hundred dollars on the boards and ebay alike.

Best to shop around for used / discarded GT mufflers, if you're looking for just "looks". Or, find some tips and pay a muffler shop $30 to cut off your stock v6 muff tips and tack weld the replacement tips on. May be cheaper in the long run, especially if you need to ship those heavy GT mufflers from out-of-state to you.

My stock GT tips were corroded and rusted before I took delivery of my car! I couldn't wait to get them off, I hated them. 3.5" tips FTW.

Again, it's just for looks with the V6, so why not find tips that YOU like at a local shop like pep boys or a local muffler shop and inquire about their rates to cut your stock "single" tips off and weld the new tips on. It would take a good exhaust guy less than 10 minutes to do! You may be surprised as how cheap that can be!
Thanks for clearing that up. I remember seeing a post sometime ago a guy asking about putting GXP muffs on his GT and someone said it made no difference in sound. So I just assumed that they were the same. Your tips look nice.

If your planning on going just tips becareful because those el cheapo tips can turn and corrode too. A good quality dual tip will cost you around $70 a piece.

05 CTS-V
post #35 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-28-2010, 08:24 PM

"The mufflers were from Advance auto and were like $50 ea. The tips were from a local parts warehouse and were $70 for the pair. The shop charged me $100 to make the axlebacks including the flanges and gaskets and hangers.

Right around $270.".....

...... When I inquired on the price to have some fabbed up by a muffler shop from another forum member. I like my Solo's and just about refuse to sell them. I, of course, had the stock V6 mufflers and coudn't get pass the round hole in a square peg look. I ordered some tips, which ended up being too long and had them welded on. Then I scrapped the mufflers and went Solo. I agree it's not as noteworthy as a full exhaust, but it suits me just fine at this point. To each is their own on this topic IMHO. Whether it's singles, quads, axleback, catback whatever. The guy over at Solo, sorry can't recall his name, was wonderful and answered all of my newbie questions. Cheapest route to go is like ZEP said, have your own set of tips welded to the mufflers. Even still the back of the car with those ugly things (STOCK GT BATTLE TANKS) on... EWWWWWWEEEE.... LOL

#NEVER GIVE UP
#AUDACITY OF HOPE

"Don't want to run the risk of offending anybody, so let me just go ahead and offend somebody". -David L.

"When you write the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen". -UNKNOWN

Last edited by PONY MAN; 09-29-2010 at 07:40 AM.
post #36 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-28-2010, 11:03 PM
DINSTAAR

Still wont beat Bad Karma's free fifty. I want to see what someone will charge for a used set of GT muffs w/shipping. If shipped right its not that much. Compare that to some good quality dual walled dual tips plus to have the old ones cut and new ones put on. I'm curious. The dual wall dual/dual tips I put on my GTO are not cheap.

05 CTS-V

Last edited by gm4life; 09-28-2010 at 11:23 PM.
post #37 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-29-2010, 07:42 AM

You're right GM4life. This is certainly a viable option. Didn't think about it before hand. But oh, well. Life goes on.

#NEVER GIVE UP
#AUDACITY OF HOPE

post #38 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-29-2010, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Karma View Post
.... Therefore, you'd need a full catback setup. For me, I want all or none. I'm happy with the looks until I can afford to drop $1300 on a full setup.
Are these even available yet, if so, who makes them? And a full catback does include axlebacks correct?? THANKS

#NEVER GIVE UP
#AUDACITY OF HOPE

Last edited by PONY MAN; 09-29-2010 at 08:00 PM.
post #39 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-29-2010, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITZAPONY G8 View Post
Are these even available yet, if so, who makes them? And a full catback does include axlebacks correct?? THANKS
Nothing local! Sure you can get an axleback and a custom cat to axle setup lol. Would be loud though, as it would probably get rid of the stock resonators etc.

I lied, there may be some, saw a thread on magnaflow, but most of them report bad drone with the cat-back

Last edited by Canadarob; 09-29-2010 at 09:05 PM.
post #40 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-02-2019, 03:52 PM

How y'all doing fellas? For some reason if you have a video I cannot see that thread. If you don't met you posted one and have a link to it thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page