V8 Custom Exhaust on V6? - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-21-2010, 07:25 PM Thread Starter

V8 Custom Exhaust on V6?

The exhaust flanges on the V6 and V8 are the exact same part, meaning the bolts line up on both models for the mufflers. Could I put V8 axlebacks on with no ill effect?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-21-2010, 08:22 PM

I dunno. Good question. If that's the case could have saved some money and went with GT mufflers instead of the axlebacks.

#NEVER GIVE UP
#AUDACITY OF HOPE

"Rather not run the risk of offending anyone, so let me just go ahead and offend someone". -PONY MAN

"When you write the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen". -UNKNOWN

post #3 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-21-2010, 08:28 PM
Administrator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Karma View Post
The exhaust flanges on the V6 and V8 are the exact same part, meaning the bolts line up on both models for the mufflers. Could I put V8 axlebacks on with no ill effect?
If you're talking about SOLO, the J-pipes would serve no function since they target the drone frequency of the L76 engine.

If you're considering other brands, usually from my experience when you put a v8 exhaust muffler on a v6, it sounds like a tin can. In other words, not very good. There may be exceptions, but on average, look for a v6 axleback.

--zep

2009.1 ZEPCOM MGM G8 GT
Kooks LT's, SOLO HFC & Mach Unbalanced with J-pipes, SLP Tips.
Livernois tune, VCM, FE3's, full Holden blue gauges conversion, iphone on display. Daily Driver FTW
The ZEPCOM G8 was SOLO's test mule
www.youtube.com/zepcom

Bought 3/30/2009, retired 7/18/2017 at 136k miles, still strong. Been a great ride, she will be missed!

post #4 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-22-2010, 11:30 AM

Yes. Any alxeback that fits a GT will fit the V6 too.

Sound is another thing. However as quiet as the GT mufflers are I'd be curious to see if there was any sound difference between the GT and V6 mufflers. GT mufflers + x-pipe + resonator delete would be an interesting setup.

It might be worth it just to go with quad tips. Personally I hate that round peg in a square hole look of the V6.

-Dennis-

2014 Camaro Silver Ice 2LT +RS
2009 G8 V6 PBM Premium+Comfort&Sound = SOLD
mods: Rotofab CAI, mid-muffler and resonator delete, Magnaflow x-pipe: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...d1qRKK_ChAwmZZ
GT brake upgrade: painted G2 black w/BrakePerformance slotted rotors and Hawk ceramic pads.
2000 Maxima Custom M/F Catback, K&N - SOLD
1972 Lemans 350, 4B - SOLD
post #5 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-22-2010, 11:35 AM
Northeast G8 Owners Club

I'm also curious as to how this would sound. I'm sure you can find a ton of GT axlebacks for sale or people just wanted to get rid of them. Post it up in the parts wanted section and see what comes back.

Even more interesting would be the GXP axlebacks!

2008 MGM G8 GT
post #6 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-22-2010, 11:41 AM Thread Starter

I've got a buddy who will give me his GT axlebacks, so I think I'll go with those until I can afford a full V6 catback setup.
post #7 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-22-2010, 08:13 PM

Quote:
I've got a buddy who will give me his GT axlebacks, so I think I'll go with those until I can afford a full V6 catback setup.
If you can, after you do it please post a video of the car at idle, reved up, take off and interior cruise sound. Thanks.

Now - 2011 Cadillac CTS - Raven Black 3.0 DI - Fully loaded, and yes, mods have begun!

Had - 2009 V6 Sport Red Metallic, Premium and Comfort Package. Sunroof. Modifications: Pedders Street II Package with Sway Bars and STB. Full Bra and Side Mirror Bras, Hacked Atari Gauges, Auto Dimming Rear Mirror, Racemesh Grills. Glove Box Light, Factory Bluetooth, BMR subframe and tunnel braces, BMR Rear Adjustable Toe Links, SPOHN Rear LCA and Trailing Arms. Infinity Kappa Speakers GO SAINTS
post #8 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-22-2010, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zepcom View Post
If you're talking about SOLO, the J-pipes would serve no function since they target the drone frequency of the L76 engine.

If you're considering other brands, usually from my experience when you put a v8 exhaust muffler on a v6, it sounds like a tin can. In other words, not very good. There may be exceptions, but on average, look for a v6 axleback.

--zep
Don't do it ! lol. At least in the case of SOLO. They have the V6 axle backs that look and sound good, why even bother with a v8?

Coming from experience, as I had the v8 put on, they are horrible on a V6, honestly I would stay away from it, as they are developed to sound good, or reasonably good on the v8, the v6 has different harmonics.

2009 Panther Black Metallic G8 V6
Comfort And Sound Package, Sunroof, Solo Axle Back Exhaust, 20% Tint All Around,
Sport Pedals, OEM Trunk Liner, Weathertech Floor Liner

2011 Chevrolet Silverado LTZ
2007 Chevrolet Cobalt - Sold

V6 Registry - Click for more info

post #9 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-22-2010, 10:13 PM

Magnaflow street series sounds good
post #10 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-24-2010, 07:03 PM Thread Starter

Well I arranged for a free set of factory GT mufflers and tips, I'm picking them up on Sunday. We'll see what they sound like. Worst case scenario is I waste 20 minutes of my time bolting them up.
post #11 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-24-2010, 08:11 PM

I tried to arrange a similar deal. If it works out for ya may have to go this route. Either way, I'm curious to see the results.

#NEVER GIVE UP
#AUDACITY OF HOPE

"Rather not run the risk of offending anyone, so let me just go ahead and offend someone". -PONY MAN

"When you write the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen". -UNKNOWN

post #12 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-26-2010, 09:46 PM Thread Starter

Okay, I picked the G8V8 axlebacks up tonight, and I'm off to my buddy's grease pit to install them. I'll report back soon with sound clips!
post #13 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-26-2010, 10:22 PM
DINSTAAR

Be sure you do that. I got to hear what it sounds like. For some reason I thought they was the same internally just different piping.

Wifes: 09 G8 Liquid Red w/mods
Mine: 04 GTO Quicksilver M12 w/mods
05 CTS-V

Last edited by gm4life; 09-26-2010 at 10:25 PM.
post #14 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-26-2010, 11:30 PM Thread Starter

Well, the GT factory axlebacks are bolted up and the results are in.

Drum roll please.....

At least from the axle back, the V6 exhaust and the V8 exhaust are identical!

Notice in the picture below that the part number 439 is stamped into both mufflers:

As you might expect, then, the exhaust acoustics DO NOT CHANGE with either muffler on the car. I am very, very pleased with this outcome because I was fearful I would get some kind of drone. I'm happy to report that the V8 exhaust sounds exactly like the V6 exhaust through the entire RPM spectrum. That is to say, it doesn't really sound like anything.
post #15 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-27-2010, 12:13 AM
DINSTAAR

So I was correct.

05 CTS-V
post #16 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-27-2010, 12:48 AM Thread Starter

Yep!
post #17 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-27-2010, 05:16 AM

Thats great, but I still stand by what I say about after market V8 kits on a V6 lol

2009 Panther Black Metallic G8 V6
Comfort And Sound Package, Sunroof, Solo Axle Back Exhaust, 20% Tint All Around,
Sport Pedals, OEM Trunk Liner, Weathertech Floor Liner

2011 Chevrolet Silverado LTZ
2007 Chevrolet Cobalt - Sold

V6 Registry - Click for more info

post #18 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-27-2010, 09:08 AM
Administrator

Garage
Quote:
I'm happy to report that the V8 exhaust sounds exactly like the V6 exhaust through the entire RPM spectrum. That is to say, it doesn't really sound like anything.
lol

2009.1 ZEPCOM MGM G8 GT
Kooks LT's, SOLO HFC & Mach Unbalanced with J-pipes, SLP Tips.
Livernois tune, VCM, FE3's, full Holden blue gauges conversion, iphone on display. Daily Driver FTW
The ZEPCOM G8 was SOLO's test mule
www.youtube.com/zepcom

Bought 3/30/2009, retired 7/18/2017 at 136k miles, still strong. Been a great ride, she will be missed!
post #19 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-27-2010, 10:01 AM
DINSTAAR

Well the thread will help future guys weather or not to install dual tips on their car w/o having to worry about change in sound. I think the dual tips fill the square void better than the single tips.

05 CTS-V
post #20 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-27-2010, 11:29 AM Thread Starter

A lot of the V8 guys that do custom exhaust just give their stock stuff away. Just ask around.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page