Annoying long idle - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-15-2011, 08:01 AM Thread Starter

Annoying long idle

Do you guys let you G8's warm up until that long idle goes down? That drives me crazy. Its takes a long time for it to go down and sometimes i just go before it finishes beacuse ill be following somebody and dont want to be left behind in a parking lot waiting for the idle to drop so i can go. Im guessing its something in the computer that keeps it in idle. Most cars idles drop as soon as its put in gear, but this is rather annoying and i wish there was a way to make it stop. Does anyone know if it can be adjusted somehow?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-15-2011, 08:05 AM

Yes I do. I wait for the car to idle down whenever possible. Old habits and beliefs die hard.

Now - 2011 Cadillac CTS - Raven Black 3.0 DI - Fully loaded, and yes, mods have begun!

Had - 2009 V6 Sport Red Metallic, Premium and Comfort Package. Sunroof. Modifications: Pedders Street II Package with Sway Bars and STB. Full Bra and Side Mirror Bras, Hacked Atari Gauges, Auto Dimming Rear Mirror, Racemesh Grills. Glove Box Light, Factory Bluetooth, BMR subframe and tunnel braces, BMR Rear Adjustable Toe Links, SPOHN Rear LCA and Trailing Arms. Infinity Kappa Speakers GO SAINTS
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-15-2011, 11:45 AM

Call me anal, but I never move my car until the temperature gauge starts to rise...I'm always scared to give it gas when she is still cold, not to mention how jerky these cars are when they are cold.

2009 Liquid Red G8 GT Modded. SOLD!!

Liquid Red G8 GXP. #819 of 1829.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-15-2011, 12:10 PM

I usually give mine 5-10 minutes or more of idle before I do anything if she's been parked for more than a couple hours. In the mornings I remote start it and let her run for 10 minutes, same story when leaving work for the day. Obviously if I'm grabbing something from the store and it's only been parked for 30 minutes I don't do that. Maybe 30 seconds to a minute of idle. Easy to do when you start it from 50 ft away, then you just get in and go. As Panzer said, old habits die hard.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-15-2011, 03:28 PM

Mine doesn't idle anywhere near as long as that in the dead of winter! Maybe something sticking?
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-15-2011, 06:26 PM

I've found that mine will idle at ~1200RPMs for about 1-2 minutes on a cold start before dropping to 600RPMs or so. Done that since the day I bought it, 19,000mi and that includes a new block at 46,000mi so I think it's pretty normal.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-16-2011, 08:02 AM

Mine does it too. I don't worry about it.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
09 SRM
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-17-2011, 08:04 PM
Facebook Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by L76 FAN View Post
Call me anal,
anal. lolol

BC Racing and BMR/6;4 Brembos/Tons of Carbon Fiber Goodies/HRE FF01/Much more!
3.6 V6: Bolt-Ons/MACE Tune 242whp 260wtq 15.3 @ 92
6.0 N/A: Bolt-Ons/Ported Heads/RCR 219-232/RCR Tune 409whp 389wtq 12.2 @ 114
6.1 Forged LSA:
Speed Inc Tune/Next Gen Built /12psi on E85 706rwhp 656rwtq 10.8 @ 130
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-17-2011, 08:18 PM

Yeah I think it's normal but mine does it maybe a min tops. I usually will wait for it to stop before I take off. There was another thread I read that research stated that idling for long periods to warm up actually does more harm than good. If I remember right I think it has to do with oil pressure. And also affects fuel economy a lot I guess it runs very rich just idling so it wastes fuel. Not saying anybodys methods are wrong just repeating what I read not sure if it's true or not.

2009 G8 GT magnaflo cat back, RotoFab,a little computer massage,HSRK,BMR swaybars,poly bushings, FE3 shocks/struts, 20" machined SS rims,tasteful tint, HIDs,Debadged,SOLO HFC's, shorty's, CTS V Brembos That guy passing you, And yeah those marks are mine!

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-17-2011, 09:09 PM

Thanks man. Somebody had to do it...lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazer396 View Post
anal. lolol

2009 Liquid Red G8 GT Modded. SOLD!!

Liquid Red G8 GXP. #819 of 1829.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-18-2011, 10:50 AM
Facebook Moderator

Garage
lol no prob ahhahahahha

BC Racing and BMR/6;4 Brembos/Tons of Carbon Fiber Goodies/HRE FF01/Much more!
3.6 V6: Bolt-Ons/MACE Tune 242whp 260wtq 15.3 @ 92
6.0 N/A: Bolt-Ons/Ported Heads/RCR 219-232/RCR Tune 409whp 389wtq 12.2 @ 114
6.1 Forged LSA:
Speed Inc Tune/Next Gen Built /12psi on E85 706rwhp 656rwtq 10.8 @ 130
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-18-2011, 12:36 PM

It's quite normal. Sometimes I will let it idle and sometimes I don't. Typically, during cooler weather is when it's idled the most, in the Summer, not nearly as often. Other than preference, I don't think it really matters which one you choose to do, per the owner of mechanic shop. I found out if I set the parking brake, hold my foot down firmly on the foot brake, and throw it into gear, nearly all in the same motion, then the car doesn't "jerk" or "lunge" into drive. Bear in mind the car is parked with the front-end facing downwards. However, if I allow it to run and do the same sequence from above, while it's idling at a higher rpm, then the car "lunges" "jerks" into gear. Some days I do, most days I don't. As suggested, engage the remote start prior to entering the vehicle and you won't have to wait for it to idle down.

#NEVER GIVE UP
#AUDACITY OF HOPE

"Rather not run the risk of offending anyone, so let me just go ahead and offend someone". -PONY MAN

"When you write the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen". -UNKNOWN

post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-18-2011, 01:38 PM

I think most people are being overly conservative in their approach to warm up times. To my understanding, the high idle on cold start is utilized to speed up heating the catalytic converter to quickly put it into its most efficient operating temperature range in order to reduce NOx emissions. If you give your car a minute to warm up you should be just fine and won't hurt anything unless you bag it hard before it's up to operating temperature.

2009 PBM G8 GT
TVS 1900 Maggie w/2.8" pulley (9-10 PSI), Maximizer LTs, High Flow Cats, LS9 injectors, Rotofab CAI, LC-2 WB, 40A KB BAP, TR6ix plugs, self tuned [250+ flashes], Camaro Paddle Shifters, UPR catch can, 4300k HIDs, Remote Start Heated Seat Control Module , Aeroforce Interceptor Gauge, JBL GTO628's, JL 8w3v3's w/JBL P180.2, Bridgestone RE-11 tires
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-19-2011, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron407 View Post
I think most people are being overly conservative in their approach to warm up times. To my understanding, the high idle on cold start is utilized to speed up heating the catalytic converter to quickly put it into its most efficient operating temperature range in order to reduce NOx emissions. If you give your car a minute to warm up you should be just fine and won't hurt anything unless you bag it hard before it's up to operating temperature.
^ 100% correct. And engine oil pressure/distribution of engine oil has reached the critical components at the top end of the engine within maybe 20 - 30 sec after cranking. So once that time has passed, you can drive w/out fear of damaging/wearing anything out prematurely on a cold engine.

However I would suggest that you keep the engine speeds reasonably low until the engine has had several minutes to fully warm. One thing that is often misunderstood/overlooked is engine OIL temp.

Just because coolant temp has reached ~200 deg and the thermostat is opening does NOT mean the engine oil has reached the ~212 - 220 deg op range. This takes much longer, usually 10 min or so AFTER the cooling sys has fully warmed, depending on drive style. FWIW I do not bang gears/go WOT in my car until I see that engine oil temp has reached a reasonable level. And at that point I know the trans oil is reasonable warm as well. So not until engine oil reaches op temp is the engine fully warm!

Necessary for optimal engine life? Prob not but doesn't hurt...

---------------GXP M6 #595/1829---------------
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-20-2011, 08:28 AM Thread Starter

Ya i usually remote start it in the mornings and after work but if i run into the store and come out and its still doing that idle thing for a long time i just put it in gear and let it pull the car until it stops. It has to be the only car ive ever owned to do this most of the time when you place a car in gear, it doesnt pull for a min until the idle drops. It does seem wasteful of gas with the prices these days. lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page