First G8 is a V6.....Next up is a GT..... - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-20-2011, 12:55 AM Thread Starter

First G8 is a V6.....Next up is a GT.....

Guys, I'm new here and a recent convert fro the Saab 9-5 Aero World (had three). I bought the V6 for my Wife, and the hook has been set> Nothing wrong with the V6, but I'm shopping for a GT for myself. I'm 65 years old, retired and on a fixed income...I will have one of these cars. I love everything about them. The GXP is out of my ability to purchase, but what a fine community I've fallen into! Thanks for all the help so far....I'm hoping to meet many of you at the meet in September. What great cars these are...I'm so happy to be a part of it all..... MOnsterface
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-20-2011, 01:15 AM

Good luck. There are some good buys on ebay. Prices have stablized. If I got the GT, the first thing I would do is dump the AFM.

Now - 2011 Cadillac CTS - Raven Black 3.0 DI - Fully loaded, and yes, mods have begun!

Had - 2009 V6 Sport Red Metallic, Premium and Comfort Package. Sunroof. Modifications: Pedders Street II Package with Sway Bars and STB. Full Bra and Side Mirror Bras, Hacked Atari Gauges, Auto Dimming Rear Mirror, Racemesh Grills. Glove Box Light, Factory Bluetooth, BMR subframe and tunnel braces, BMR Rear Adjustable Toe Links, SPOHN Rear LCA and Trailing Arms. Infinity Kappa Speakers GO SAINTS
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-20-2011, 04:36 AM

"the first thing I would do is dump the AFM." why is that ???

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-20-2011, 05:31 AM
every village has one

Congratulations on your G8 purchase. Either one is a great car.
BTW, it's a great retirement ride....
Check out the cars for sale here on the forum, something is sure to come along.

things are not as they appear to be.........

2009.5 LiquidRed/OnyxRed, Premium Package
e85 Surprise Package
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-20-2011, 09:34 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Guys....It's been awhile since a car captured me like this one does....Me too, what is AFM? and why dump it?
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-20-2011, 10:13 AM

Garage
AFM = Active Fuel Management (also known as DOD). it's the hardware that shuts down 4 cylinders on the highway to save gas mileage. i think he's referring to getting rid of it because of some problems it's been causing lately. these members are modded with headers, cams etc, i believe...that's my guess anyways. i know when i'm looking for a cam i WILL BE getting the DOD delete cam.

Current: 2009.5 SBM G8 GT, Premium Package, Sunroof, Pat G. ECM/TCM Tune, Roto-Fab 102mm CAI, LS7/LS3 MAF, Kooks 1 7/8" LT's, SOLO HFC's, SOLO Mach-Shorty Balanced Catback, SOLO 3.5" Tips, 19" Sport Package Wheels, GXP Steering Wheel, GXP Diffuser, Neondials, VG Sharkfin II, Debadged (Except Arrowheads), Hood-Vent Mod, Lower Grille Mod

Next: RCR Modified Intake Manifold, RCR Ported TB, Powerbond UDP, Suspension Upgrades

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-20-2011, 10:19 AM

Garage
My personal preference on the AFM idea ... (AFM being 4 cylinder mode so teh V8 sips gas at highway speeds quite similarly to the v6 car) is to disable it... here's why:

Those who buy the v8 tend to like to modify it, upgrade it, change it. Not all, but some.

One of the best "sound" upgrades you can do, especially since the GT is a car with a 6L V8 musclecar engine under the hood, is to upgrade the exhaust. Many many many choices to choose from, I picked SOLO. With aftermarket exhaust, the AFM is not pleasing sounding to many; similar to what one of those fartcan civic exhausts would sound like .... when the car goes into 4 cylinder mode, it has an offset "thrumming" sound when in v4 mode, and on my car in particular (not sure about others) the transition between 4 and 8 which happens often when AFM is enabled, seems like there is a delay or hesitation (or the car is pulling timing or something).

That being said, welcome to the club! V8 GT cars are great cars, actually ALL G8's are great cars, not everyone buys a g8 for power. "Good Looks" is a perfectly acceptable reason for sure as well. But if you move up to the GT and you're the type that likes to mod, then a superchips cortex is a good "Starter tune" that allows you to disable AFM, and if aftermarket exhaust is your thing, then you can visit the great sponsors of this site to research and find what fits your needs best.

Modding is like a drug though, after superchips some people still "want more" .... one option is High Flow Cat Converters (+30 rwhp and still emissions legal) but HFC's are no longer compatible with the "off the shelf" superchips tuner, so off to a custom tune shop. Then headers... then ... then .... see how it gets?

Hope this helps. There's a lot of helpful people on here; enjoy your stay!

--zepcom

2009.1 ZEPCOM MGM G8 GT
Kooks LT's, SOLO HFC & Mach Unbalanced with J-pipes, SLP Tips.
Livernois tune, VCM, FE3's, full Holden blue gauges conversion, iphone on display. Daily Driver FTW
The ZEPCOM G8 was SOLO's test mule
www.youtube.com/zepcom

Bought 3/30/2009, retired 7/18/2017 at 136k miles, still strong. Been a great ride, she will be missed!
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-20-2011, 02:32 PM

The sound from the AFM is not that big a deal at all, no idea why people keep saying it is, I noticed it some once I put my magnaflow axlebacks on, then after a few thousand miles they toned down some maybe they "broke in" a bit, and then after I put an X pipe and straight pipe in place of the midmuffler the sound is pretty much not noticeable unless someone were to specifically point it out,

I would think if anything, disabling an inherent function of the engine's internals may produce a problem - if you're thinking of "turning it off" maybe you're better off completely removing the cam and valves and lifters and replacing them....the stock ones were MEANT to be ran w/ the DOD cycling...it also is probably a reason for the 8.8 quart oil capacity...start disabling the DOD while still running 9 quarts of oil maybe that's not a good recipe...

'08 GT sport/premium, tints 20/35, 18" TSW nogaros w/ bridgestone blizzak winter, 19" sport oem w/ hankook evo summer, Philips crystalvision bulbs, debadged, Vararam OTR, JBA 1-3/4" LT's, ported TB, MF axlebacks, MF X-pipe, DBA-powerslot brakes, russel SS lines, hawk ceramic pads, GXP shocks/struts, lovells poly strut mounts, Slowhawk Tuned 344/356

Gone -'04 GTO A4 2.5" custom exhaust, sweet thunder muffs, H pipe, Z06 heads, Baer brake it, 20% tints, torrid red, AEM brute force intake, tuned
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-20-2011, 05:32 PM

Thus the reason for my buying the V6. GXP is another story.

Now - 2011 Cadillac CTS - Raven Black 3.0 DI - Fully loaded, and yes, mods have begun!

Had - 2009 V6 Sport Red Metallic, Premium and Comfort Package. Sunroof. Modifications: Pedders Street II Package with Sway Bars and STB. Full Bra and Side Mirror Bras, Hacked Atari Gauges, Auto Dimming Rear Mirror, Racemesh Grills. Glove Box Light, Factory Bluetooth, BMR subframe and tunnel braces, BMR Rear Adjustable Toe Links, SPOHN Rear LCA and Trailing Arms. Infinity Kappa Speakers GO SAINTS
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-20-2011, 06:51 PM
That's ME!

There's a nice Liquid Red with red inserts GT at Weber Chevrolet here in STL for sale. I think it had 8K miles on it. It looked to be in excellent shape.

Scott
2010 IBM Cobalt SS GMS1
2009 PSM GXP A6 #1803/1829 sold
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-22-2011, 12:03 AM Thread Starter

Thank you Guys...I'm taking my time and want the best GT I can uncover....No Mods, No Smokers....3 color choices. In the meantime, I want to be sure I understand the car. The G8 (V6) I bought for my Wife actually cost me GT money because I failed to do my homework. It won't happen again. Then again, I may just buy a Jaguar S Type "R" and live with the consequences. They tend less to be abused due to the price of admission. Three are a lot of GT's around that have been pounded, and pounded HARD! That's cool, but never for a second owner.....I'll be patient. I'd rather buy from an established Forum member and a one owner with Documentation is probably a non-negotiable....Take care of them boys, or trade'm in at local dealer and hide the hulk in the rows of lost automobiles you would'nt want to own yourself...you get my drift. Monsterface
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-22-2011, 09:34 AM
Yep, that just happened..

Well, good luck with your search. Hope you find one soon!

2008 Liquid Red G8, Thunder Racing Custom Camshaft
219/230, 607/610, 114 LSA, DOD Delete
Kooks LTH, kooks catted x-pipe, kooks axle back, Roto-fab CAI and 25% udp, DMH electric exhaust cutouts, little shot(alright, maybe not so little) of happy juice courtesy of HSW and tune by Tony G at HP Performance. Oh yeah, and 08 Super Bee as well!
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-22-2011, 10:48 AM

Well, good luck either way you go. There are some gently used GTs out there, but be sure to do your homework though, as is the case when buying any used car. GL and keep us posted.

#NEVER GIVE UP
#AUDACITY OF HOPE

"Rather not run the risk of offending anyone, so let me just go ahead and offend someone". -PONY MAN

"When you write the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen". -UNKNOWN

post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-22-2011, 06:06 PM Thread Starter

I'll certainly keep the Forum posted, but I really feel like an idiot....I spent way too much money on our V6, and though I love the car, I know (now) I could have done much better. Also, my 2003 Saab Aero was much quicker than the V6, and I miss the performance of the Turbo'd 4 Cylinder. The gearing in the Saab was done better....I'm not complaining, but as happy as I am with the V6, I know why an upgrade has such appeal. I love the lines and the size of the G8....It's simply a beautiful car, no matter which one we get to own. I'm happy to be a part of this...I'm just all itchy to get my money together for a GT.......I have some PM's to answer...Thank you guys...I appreciate all the advice.......Monsterface
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-23-2011, 01:34 PM

I got a good deal on my V6, some might even call it a great deal, but I didn't even know what at G8 was when I bought mine really, no research at all. Total impulse buy, and after the fact I now know I could have bought a V8 for not much more money. That stings every time a 3.5L Maxima or a 2.0T Audi A4 outruns me, but I've got thousands of dollars into this fully loaded V6 now that I'd never recover if I sold it, so I'm in too deep to bail out. Which is fine, because she's gorgeous, as long as I remember to not put my foot into it unless I'm SURE I can walk my target.
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-23-2011, 08:24 PM
Hsv Gts Pimp

Don't be afraid to buy a modded car, they're not all beat on. I can guarantee that mine see's less abuse than 95% of G8's. Just because someone mods it doesn't mean it gets beat on.

09 LR Gt- Vector Stage II with larger cam, Yank 3200, Vararam, tranny cooler, HSRK, Stainless Works 1 7/8 LT's, offroad x-pipe, and SW catback, dual gauge pod, AeroForce gauges.
447rwhp / 411rwtq

Big thanks to Crazy Paul for all his help.

99 Viper GTS - 1 of 22
15 Bmw 335i M-Sport Xdrive
08 Charger Srt-8 Superbee
13 ZL1 Vert'
76 Corvette L82 Stingray
06 Jeep Srt-8
08 Altima coupe
post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-23-2011, 08:39 PM
8, 8, 8 is great

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkside View Post
Don't be afraid to buy a modded car, they're not all beat on. I can guarantee that mine see's less abuse than 95% of G8's. Just because someone mods it doesn't mean it gets beat on.
Very true! Take your time examining a car at the dealership. I looked at plenty of cars before I found mine. One that sticks out was an 09.5 gt. Uneven bald rear tires, smoked in, HIDs, very unused stock axlebacks and intake, and 45k miles. A very easy no go because it was clearly modded and driven hard. I found my well-kept gem and hopefully you can too!

Past: 2009 MGM G8 GT w/Premium, Sport, & sunroof
-Superchips - Roto-Fab - GXP Diffuser - Solo

Present: 1996 hellrot e36 328is
-3 pedals

Future: Gxp or e39 m5
-3 pedals
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-23-2011, 11:14 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkside View Post
That's my point.... I lack the skills and the imagination it would take to figure out which cars are the 5% you're talking about! I can't see myself building a car to perform, and then not wringing it all out. If I knew the entire history of a car, say one that's been on the Forum since day one, I'd be more comfortable buying a modded car. That's Not to say that everyone who drives a Stock G8 takes care of it either...I think you get my point. I'm looking at a couple now...Thanks to everyone who is encouraging this buy....I envy you guys who have had a history with this car...they're really great!
post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-24-2011, 09:42 AM

keep us posted man. I want to know what you come up with.

2008 G8 PBM V6-Show-InteriorGreen Accent lights, Sport and Leather Package, Green Trim.
ExteriorBlack out Window trim, and front grills (Plasti-Dip), SV6 Spoiler, GXP Diffuser, Blackout Holden Headlight Covers, Green LED's in grilles, and hood scoops, Tinted Tails, Powdercoated DARKChrome V6 rims.
Go-Roto Fab CAI, straight pipes.

Soon to come: Tune, maybe new suspension.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-28-2011, 06:41 PM Thread Starter

OK Here's the scoop....After a long hard look at the finances, I've discovered two things. First, I spent too much money getting into my V6 (new to the car), and Secondly, I can't afford another car until next year at this time. So, after beating my uninformed head against the wall for the last week, I've decided I have 3 options...Be happy with what I'm already convinced is a very, very nice car already in my possession and shut my mouth, Two, trade it off for a V8 and miss the car my Wife and I already love, or Three, drive it, enjoy it, and set my sights on buying a V8 next Spring.
I really like this car, I actually set myself up by loving it before I actually knew the differences in the cars. But really, does that make this little car any less attractive> Nope, I'm thinking it was a wise move no matter what. It's a fine car despite the availability of more horsepower. Not only that, but you guys have shown me some killer V6's here on the Forum, and I don't believe there's a bad G8 in the bunch.
I have made a commitment to go to the G8 Meet in September where I can meet some of you guys and take in all that G8 Beauty...I'll be looking for some V6 inspiration all the while. My Wife loves this car so much that she wants to make the meet with me...She's not about cars, but she's all about this one. I'm a happy man, but I'm still lusting after that horsepower....In the meantime, I'll be diggin' all the V6 cars.....I obviously have a lot to learn....In September, I'll be the old guy on his back in Iowa staring at the clouds and babbling.......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page