Options for replacing/upgrading brakes - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-07-2011, 11:53 PM Thread Starter

Options for replacing/upgrading brakes

What are the options for replacing or upgrading brakes, rotors, calipers, & etc., for an 08 Pontiac G8 V6 sedan on a budget? Thru searching there seems to be more opinions on the GTs then the V6 models. Thou I have seen the thread about upgrading with the GT brakes, rotors, & calipers.

As of right now I have 84,828 miles on my G8. When I had the car's state inspection done June 2010 I was told my brakes were 50%/60%, after 2 years of ownership. So I am suspecting I will need to replace the brakes this year. I don't know if they will pass the state inspection next month.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-08-2011, 03:02 PM

I know that shipping wouldn't be cheap & I don't know how much of an upgrade the GT brakes are, but I have my complete front stock GT brakes with calipers, rotors, and pads with 28k miles on them just sitting in my garage.

Nothing at all wrong with them, perfect shape. Just a thought

2009 SRM GT w/ Sport, Premium, and Roof
- Kooks LT's, SOLO Mach Unbalanced, HFC Midpipe
- RotoFab CAI & Rad Cover
- Custom PCM & TCM tune done via HP Tuners
- 19" Breyton GTS-AV, Hyper Silver, Continental DWS, 14" Brembo's
- DDM 5000k HID's / 68 LED Fogs
- Suede subwoofer and amp enclosure in trunk
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-08-2011, 05:07 PM

the only thing us v6r's need are the caliper brackets and the rotors.......calipers and pads are the same

[sigpic][/sigpic]
Roto Fab Intake
Cortex Roto Fab Tuned
Custom X-Pipe Mid muffler Delete
Custom Axle Back w Flo Pro Super V
Flo Pro Tips
BC Racing Coilovers
BMR Front Strut Bar
BMR Lower Control Arms
BMR Trailing Arms
BMR Adjustable Toe Rods
BMR Diff/Cradle Poly Bushings
Staggerd 20" Status Knight 5 Wheels
245/9" 285/10"
Mickey Thompson ET Street Drag Radials
275/40r17 mounted on C6 wheels
HID reverse lights, headlights, fog lights
SwitchBack front turn signal bulbs
Temp firehawk plsti dip hood

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-08-2011, 05:31 PM
Capital City G8

I am running a full GT brake setup on my V6. I now have a lot of options for aftermarket brakes. As LowCal said, all you need are the caliper brackets and rotors as the GT rotors are a inch bigger in diameter. There are no clearance issues and the GT rotors fill the V6 wheels well. I found a kit on ebay from SLP for $179. They are the factory brakes removed from brand new GTs when SLP was converting them over to the Firehawk G8s.

V6 left GT rotor right

V6 brakes

GT brakes

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20110421_124653.jpg (137.7 KB, 110 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01265.jpg (135.0 KB, 109 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20110421_173229.jpg (144.1 KB, 110 views)

2008 Pontiac G8 Panther Black
Comfort and Sound Package/Sunroof
OEM XM, OEM Bluetooth

GT Brakes

Capital City G8 Car Club

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Appearance: 20% Tint, 6K HIDs 35W Lows, 50W LED Fogs,Debadged,GXP Diffuser, Blacked Out Grilles and Trim, VG Sharkfin, Rear Roof Spoiler
Performance:
Roto-Fab CAI, GT Brakes,

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-08-2011, 10:31 PM Thread Starter

So going to the GT rotors & caliper brackets is a good upgrade? I just need to get the GT rotors and caliper brackets somewhere. Is that only for the front or can the rears be upgraded with the GT's also? Any mods needed to the rotors and caliper brackets to fit?

One of my coworkers who mods cars on the side said that he heard that the 2010-11 Chevy Camaro SS Brembo brakes, rotors, calipers, & etc., will work also on the G8s. I have found 2 auctions of these on eBay but for fronts only for about $450-$500. I have a feeling these will only work on the GTs.

He also suggested that if I decided to upgrade the brakes I should also replace the brake lines to Stainless Steel lines.

Derekprz I see from your pics your are having the same problem I am having, the Pontiac emblems peeling off the center caps. I have already replaced mine once already and now 2 out of the 4 are peeling again. Has anyone found a way to prevent them from peeling?
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-09-2011, 07:09 AM

https://www.g8board.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41545
https://www.g8board.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40142

#NEVER GIVE UP
#AUDACITY OF HOPE

"Rather not run the risk of offending anyone, so let me just go ahead and offend someone". -PONY MAN

"When you write the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen". -UNKNOWN

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-09-2011, 11:26 AM
Capital City G8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmheiar View Post
So going to the GT rotors & caliper brackets is a good upgrade? I just need to get the GT rotors and caliper brackets somewhere. Is that only for the front or can the rears be upgraded with the GT's also? Any mods needed to the rotors and caliper brackets to fit?

One of my coworkers who mods cars on the side said that he heard that the 2010-11 Chevy Camaro SS Brembo brakes, rotors, calipers, & etc., will work also on the G8s. I have found 2 auctions of these on eBay but for fronts only for about $450-$500. I have a feeling these will only work on the GTs.

He also suggested that if I decided to upgrade the brakes I should also replace the brake lines to Stainless Steel lines.

Derekprz I see from your pics your are having the same problem I am having, the Pontiac emblems peeling off the center caps. I have already replaced mine once already and now 2 out of the 4 are peeling again. Has anyone found a way to prevent them from peeling?
I have the GT brakes in the front and rear. They bolt up with no modifications. So if you can get the caliper brackets from a GT, you will be able to go aftermarket rotors or just get the GT OEMs. The Brembo brakes can be installed, but the wheels will not fit. I believe you will need an offset spacer to use our wheels or just buy 20" wheels to make it work.

I haven't bought the Russel stainless lines yet, but will eventually do that. A few in my club have done that.

As for my center caps. I'm going to the dealer today. I am still under the 3/36 bumper warranty, and the dealer said that they will be covered.

2008 Pontiac G8 Panther Black
Comfort and Sound Package/Sunroof
OEM XM, OEM Bluetooth

GT Brakes

Capital City G8 Car Club

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Appearance: 20% Tint, 6K HIDs 35W Lows, 50W LED Fogs,Debadged,GXP Diffuser, Blacked Out Grilles and Trim, VG Sharkfin, Rear Roof Spoiler
Performance:
Roto-Fab CAI, GT Brakes,

Last edited by Derekprz; 05-09-2011 at 09:18 PM.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-11-2012, 07:29 PM

How much of a benefit would upgrading to stainless steel brake lines be?
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-12-2012, 04:59 AM

I would first just start with better pads (Hawks) and see if that does what you are looking for in terms of stopping power. You'll feel a massive difference without having to buy new rotors and calipers. Start there and then decide if you really need bigger rotors. Stainless steel lines are a good upgrade. They won't fade from heat expansion and you'll have less pedal travel which improves feel and confidence. Plus they'll last pretty much forever.

OGOC (Ontario G8 Owners Club)
09 PBM V6 (Traded)
GXP Diffuser, Mace Insulators, Solo, CAI, FE3, BMR, much more
Replaced with
09 WH GT, Solo Mach, HF Cats, CAI, LS3 Cam, Pat G Tuned, FE3, Whiteline, SuperPro, Centric/Hawk, DAI Autobahns 19x8.5/+35, RE760s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page