Intake Predicament - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-14-2011, 01:21 PM Thread Starter

Intake Predicament

So I have done some timed and distance testing with my new intake and it definitely has some pros and cons. The pros being it performs fantastic for your daily driving but a con might be at the track. Here is why. With the intake even my slowest time tested from 0-20 is faster than my vehicle average before my intake. I also have a great deal more wheel spin on the street with the intake because of the instant torque. I know without a doubt my 60' time at a track would be improved by a good amount from the first time I took it to the track. They always say the first 60 feet are the most important but... It appears my low end torque gains have a trade off and that's in the high rpm range. From 20-30 & 30-40 the difference between my old set up and intake is minimal (.02 second slower 20-30 & .04 seconds slower from 30-40) and that can just be due to the increase in humidity and temps. My main concern is from 40-50 which is the tail end of first gear. Its 0.15 seconds slower with my testing to date. Its back to par with my old system from 50-60 & 60-70 ( would assume it would drop off again at the tail end of 2nd but maybe not). In regards to distance testing (330') both of my averages are the same but with my intake going 1-2 mph faster. Its hard to tell but unless I could knock off at least a full 10th from my 60' with the new intake I have a feeling I will run slower in the quarter. One other thing to consider is all of my testing data from my old setup is from Oct - June of this year so it has a few months of much cooler temps but either way it appears I have an issue in the higher RPM's. Wondering if this is just the summer temps killing it? Considering its my daily driver and am not racing it 99% of the time my intake is the way to go in the hot temps either way. I guess my intake could be a complete animal with the right cool air quality. I havnt driven in less then 75 degree weather since the installation so that has yet to be determined.

Just curious about your take and performance preferences? Also do you think removing the resonators & mid pipe and installing X pipes would bridge that gap a little in the high rpm range????

2008 Panther Black V6
Homemade Intake Tube with K&N drop in
Dynomax Super Turbo Mufflers
LPM with air scoop into the lower panel of the snorkel
Quarter Mile 15.38 @ 92.49 MPH - 2.29 60' (5-12-2012)
Click Here For Video
Quarter Mile 15.43 @ 91.01 MPH - 2.24 60' (6-14-2011)

SOLD 11/30/2012
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-29-2011, 12:56 PM

Your intake tube is still connected to the stock air box right? If so then all you've done is to get a larger diameter and smoother pipe running from the air box to the intake manifold. I'm wondering if that is going to give you a performance bump on par with a RF or K&N. Those are supposed to shine up top in the RPM range. At least that is my butt-dyno experience and what others have reported.

Air density does make a real difference with this motor. It absolutely loves the cool, dry air of fall/winter/spring. When the temps begin to climb above 70 and the humidity climbs above 60% I notice performance falls off quickly.

I don't think you'll see much of a bump from x-pipe/mid muffler delete. These are mostly for sound. I still have the stock cans installed and didn't notice any gains from the setup. Though it does sound much better than stock IMO.

Probably the right way to do the analysis you are looking for is to have both intake setups and make back to back runs with each. Then you take the atmospheric variable out of the equasion.

Either way, props for making it yourself and investing the time to do some detailed analysis.

-Dennis-

2014 Camaro Silver Ice 2LT +RS
2009 G8 V6 PBM Premium+Comfort&Sound = SOLD
mods: Rotofab CAI, mid-muffler and resonator delete, Magnaflow x-pipe: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...d1qRKK_ChAwmZZ
GT brake upgrade: painted G2 black w/BrakePerformance slotted rotors and Hawk ceramic pads.
2000 Maxima Custom M/F Catback, K&N - SOLD
1972 Lemans 350, 4B - SOLD
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-29-2011, 01:38 PM Thread Starter

Thanks. I had a good time trying to plan and design the intake. Yeah it is still just connected to the stock air box. I might get a piece that connects to the MAF sensor tube so I can install a cone style filter where the stock air box is to finish the CAI system but we shall see. For what ever reason it seems to be performing very well lately. It even feels strong in the higher RPMs but thats just butt dyno. I dont have any numbers behind it. Its kind of strange because of how hot and humid its been lately. I am not seeing a huge drop off in the intense heat but I do notice a big difference in the morning when its cooler. For instance yesterday was like 87 with 85 % humidity all day and it ran pretty darn consistent and good. So we will see. I'd love to take it to the track in the fall to see if it runs better than my first time out. It should considering I ran pretty good with a DA of 1725. If I time it right I should be able to get DA's below 3 or 400 for sure of not 0. That should drop me a couple 10th.

2008 Panther Black V6
Homemade Intake Tube with K&N drop in
Dynomax Super Turbo Mufflers
LPM with air scoop into the lower panel of the snorkel
Quarter Mile 15.38 @ 92.49 MPH - 2.29 60' (5-12-2012)
Click Here For Video
Quarter Mile 15.43 @ 91.01 MPH - 2.24 60' (6-14-2011)

SOLD 11/30/2012
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page