V6 Sport Mode - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-27-2011, 08:50 PM Thread Starter

V6 Sport Mode

Hey guys! I don't have any experience with any kind of manual transmission and have never changed gears before. If you move the shifter to the right while in drive, putting it into sport mode, the car will shift on its own I've noticed.

However I went out on the highway just outside of town and at a lighted intersection I was in the left turning lane, made a u-turn, and from a rolling stop, with the car in sport mode - tried to gun it however once I got up to speed I noticed that I was still in first, so I slowed down and put the car back into normal drive. I even smelled a bit of smoke - which concerns me.

Should I be concerned about the smoke smell? and why was I still in first gear? I noticed that if you go into sport mode and tap the shifter up/down, it takes you into manual mode. I can't assert whether I accidentally tapped the shifter while I was stopped at the light or w/e.

This was the first time I tried sport mode and other than that incident I loved how loud the engine got and how the car seemed to accelerate better, feels like I got a new car again lol.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-27-2011, 11:02 PM
I can haz cheesburger?

Chances are you accidentally moved the shifter which entered manual mode. You have to be careful as you probably revved it high while in first gear. It happened to me once when I wasn't paying attention. Burnt smoke shouldn't be a big deal unless you can still smell it. Could have been tires chirping or small oil burnoff.

But yes, if you just move the shifter to the right, you enter standard sport mode which allows for firmer shifts and allows some thing like holding a gear upon heavy acceleration, etc...

Also, unless I'm mistaken, the V6 trans does not rev match downshifts so be careful if using the manual mode. Someone correct me on this though.

Go: Yugo Stock
Show: Yugo on fire due to electrical failure
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-28-2011, 05:17 PM

You're correct, no rev-matching. I usually let the car downshift for me if I'm in manual, but I almost never use manual mode anyways because the tranny lags on input and doesn't really provide any substantial tactile feedback, which can be said about most shiftable automatics.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-28-2011, 08:50 PM

Garage
I always use sport shift,the car is a lot snapper and responds better.If i remember there is a differance in gearing between sport and standard. E.T.'s at track are way better in sport then letting it shift on automatic.

2009 GT White Hot, AKA CASPER, Superchips 93 octane tune, Volant C.A.I with HSRK,Slotted and cross drilled rotors with ceramic pads,GXP Diffuser,Debadged.Solo axle backs, Coronet 440 style tips
Dyno 4/26/15,343 MAX H.P.,338.6 MAX TORQ
5/13/15 [email protected], 2.03- 60'."WE ARE THE LAST OF OUR KIND"
2009.1 V6 STRYKER BLUE, TRADED IN 1/10/13
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-12-2011, 06:14 AM

Garage
I always use sport shift as well car responds alot better for me anways fwiw...

2009 SBM Pontiac G8 V6
Mods tints 35's front 5's rear
Solo Mach Shorty Cat back with a J Pipe
Colour Shifting Halos AAC STYLE...
Spyder LED Tail Lights
GXP Rear Diffuser
Bohnman front Splitter
Blue Lamin-X Fogs
Roto-Fab CAI
Third Shift Studios Concept Dart
Video in Motion Courtesy Zepcom Performance
Overkill Tune
OGOC Member
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-12-2011, 10:28 AM

Garage
in the bottom center of your DIC display, you'll see one of three: D (drive mode, shifter towards the left) S# (sport and current gear number, v6's have 5 speeds, v8 autos have 6 speeds, shifter to the right but not "bumped") and if you "bump" the shifter forwards or backwards, you'll see the big number pop up on your DIC, now you've ventured from Sport to Manual mode. It's good for pre-selecting a higher-revving (and thus more power) gear in preparation of passing someone or similar.

Sounds like you hit sport mode but then held one of the gears and took it to redline, not ideal.

There's a whole section on this in the owners manual, maybe that is good earmark reading for you to become more familiar.

Not fun to smell burning smells, be careful out there. If unable to shift manually, flip back to "D" mode or flip to "Sport" mode and do not bump it into Manual mode. Sport, as others have stated, is more aggressively shift-timed, and promotes a more exciting driving experience, if you're into that sorta thing.

V8 manual mode also features rev-matching downshifts... that's one of the best features of my car, I use it all the time. "Engine Braking"

--zepcom

2009.1 ZEPCOM MGM G8 GT
Kooks LT's, SOLO HFC & Mach Unbalanced with J-pipes, SLP Tips.
Livernois tune, VCM, FE3's, full Holden blue gauges conversion, iphone on display. Daily Driver FTW
The ZEPCOM G8 was SOLO's test mule
www.youtube.com/zepcom

Bought 3/30/2009, retired 7/18/2017 at 136k miles, still strong. Been a great ride, she will be missed!
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-12-2011, 05:08 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by knglibrty View Post
I always use sport shift,the car is a lot snapper and responds better.If i remember there is a differance in gearing between sport and standard. E.T.'s at track are way better in sport then letting it shift on automatic.
I can be brain dead and use manual mode everytime i drive.Like zep said love to hold a gear and love the burbble on decelaration.

2009 GT White Hot, AKA CASPER, Superchips 93 octane tune, Volant C.A.I with HSRK,Slotted and cross drilled rotors with ceramic pads,GXP Diffuser,Debadged.Solo axle backs, Coronet 440 style tips
Dyno 4/26/15,343 MAX H.P.,338.6 MAX TORQ
5/13/15 [email protected], 2.03- 60'."WE ARE THE LAST OF OUR KIND"
2009.1 V6 STRYKER BLUE, TRADED IN 1/10/13
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-12-2011, 08:06 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zepcom View Post
in the bottom center of your DIC display, you'll see one of three: D (drive mode, shifter towards the left) S# (sport and current gear number, v6's have 5 speeds, v8 autos have 6 speeds, shifter to the right but not "bumped") and if you "bump" the shifter forwards or backwards, you'll see the big number pop up on your DIC, now you've ventured from Sport to Manual mode. It's good for pre-selecting a higher-revving (and thus more power) gear in preparation of passing someone or similar.

Sounds like you hit sport mode but then held one of the gears and took it to redline, not ideal.

There's a whole section on this in the owners manual, maybe that is good earmark reading for you to become more familiar.

Not fun to smell burning smells, be careful out there. If unable to shift manually, flip back to "D" mode or flip to "Sport" mode and do not bump it into Manual mode. Sport, as others have stated, is more aggressively shift-timed, and promotes a more exciting driving experience, if you're into that sorta thing.

V8 manual mode also features rev-matching downshifts... that's one of the best features of my car, I use it all the time. "Engine Braking"

--zepcom
thanks very good explanation. I've figured out sport mode and man its fun, I only use it when I'm late LOL! Your fuel economy takes a pretty big hit in sport mode..I'm pretty sure I accidentally tapped the shifter while waiting at the light which sent it into manual mode.

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-14-2011, 06:05 PM

Did your car come with an owners manual? Read the section on the tranny options. I like the Sport Mode allright but hate the manual. If it ain't got a clutch, I don't like.

Now - 2011 Cadillac CTS - Raven Black 3.0 DI - Fully loaded, and yes, mods have begun!

Had - 2009 V6 Sport Red Metallic, Premium and Comfort Package. Sunroof. Modifications: Pedders Street II Package with Sway Bars and STB. Full Bra and Side Mirror Bras, Hacked Atari Gauges, Auto Dimming Rear Mirror, Racemesh Grills. Glove Box Light, Factory Bluetooth, BMR subframe and tunnel braces, BMR Rear Adjustable Toe Links, SPOHN Rear LCA and Trailing Arms. Infinity Kappa Speakers GO SAINTS
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-15-2011, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panzer Leader View Post
... If it ain't got a clutch, I don't like.
+1. My sentiments exactly.

#NEVER GIVE UP
#AUDACITY OF HOPE

"Rather not run the risk of offending anyone, so let me just go ahead and offend someone". -PONY MAN

"When you write the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen". -UNKNOWN

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-17-2011, 12:22 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panzer Leader View Post
Did your car come with an owners manual? Read the section on the tranny options. I like the Sport Mode allright but hate the manual. If it ain't got a clutch, I don't like.
did your car come with an as$hole manual?

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-17-2011, 02:32 PM

post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-17-2011, 04:32 PM

KURVA- the reason I asked the question, is because I thought you might have bought the car used. Hence, the owners book was missing.

Now - 2011 Cadillac CTS - Raven Black 3.0 DI - Fully loaded, and yes, mods have begun!

Had - 2009 V6 Sport Red Metallic, Premium and Comfort Package. Sunroof. Modifications: Pedders Street II Package with Sway Bars and STB. Full Bra and Side Mirror Bras, Hacked Atari Gauges, Auto Dimming Rear Mirror, Racemesh Grills. Glove Box Light, Factory Bluetooth, BMR subframe and tunnel braces, BMR Rear Adjustable Toe Links, SPOHN Rear LCA and Trailing Arms. Infinity Kappa Speakers GO SAINTS
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-20-2011, 08:18 AM

i love mine and it sucks theres no rev match cuz that would be alot eaiseier on the motor
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-17-2013, 10:36 PM

So you guys are saying not to do manual sports mode? I just turn it to the right and never touch it. I see it down shift but I was doing 50 miles an hour and it was in S5. Is that normal? Car feels much lighter and faster. I don't feel that pull it does in normal drive mode when you hit the gas and gun it.
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-18-2013, 01:09 PM

In sport shift mode (shift lever over from D to the right quadrant), the transmission holds the gear longer before shifting. If you're somewhat of a hyper-miler, keep it in regular mode for optimal gas mileage per the owners manual. There is also a driver shift control (DSC) mode where you select the gears. Driving in sports mode is fine as well as 50mph in S5. Sports mode does eliminate the "transmission jerk" experienced traffic-like conditions when the throttle is lightly applied and quickly released.

#NEVER GIVE UP
#AUDACITY OF HOPE

"Rather not run the risk of offending anyone, so let me just go ahead and offend someone". -PONY MAN

"When you write the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen". -UNKNOWN

post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-09-2014, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zepcom View Post

--zepcom
this seems weird to me. i have a v6 and it rev-matches on downshifts all the time. i use the engine breaking just about every day. i rarely use normal or sport, always in manual mode and have had no issues with engine breaking.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page