were to Buy HID's - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-08-2011, 05:46 PM Thread Starter
V6 power

were to Buy HID's

Just looking for some good places online to buy HID's , and wanting to get your opinion on what color or Kelvin to go with (8000k--10000K) . Thanx

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2009 g8 ly7.
SHOW~window tint/blacked out trim/blacked out grills and arrow/LED turn signals/10000k hid low beams /LED Fogs / all LED interior lighting / 20" camaro rims polished

GO~Magnaflow X Pipe / flowmaster 40s / k&n CAI / Iridium plugs / hood scoop mod

Coming this spring~ modified H&R springs / MM carbon spoiler / MACE cam & Tune / shorty headers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-04-2012, 03:53 PM
female, no 'bro'

Garage
There is one by kensun on amazon. i prefer 6k but 8k looks nice too.
here is a link. i plan on getting these...maybe. just got the car today haha
http://www.amazon.com/Kensun-Xenon-Conversion-Digital-Ballasts/dp/B0050ZB9GY/ref=sr_1_4?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1325707680&sr=1-4
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-04-2012, 06:50 PM
Even Conan drives a G8 !

What do you guys think of the Philips H11 CrystalVision Ultra Headlight Bulb on Amazon? It is supposed top be like Xenon.

G8
Panther Black
JHP Trim and Garmin 765T GPS
Premium Package
Sunroof
Comfort and Sound Package

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-04-2012, 07:03 PM

I bought VVME 6 k and love them. Have not had any issues with them for over a year. They sell them on eBay. I bought straight from VVME dot com. The price on the website is more than advertised on e bay but if you call in the order they will match the price. The reason I ordered from them direct was for the relay harness not offered on e bay from VVME. If you want to keep the DRL you need the relay. I bought the 35 watt 6k kit w harness for like $45 or 50 bucks. Came from china direct and received them in under a week. I think no matter what kit you get they will be pretty much the same. It's all about price and warranty. I've heard good and bad about DDM timings kits.

I would research if you really want the 8k as you do lose a lot of brightness and they are really blue. Anything over 8 k will be really purple and prob get you pulled over all the time.

As for the other post about the bulbs that are supposed to be like HID's. There's no way they will be as bright or distinctive as true HID's. You can prob get a full kit for cheaper than you will pay for those two bulbs. I wouldnt do it and I believe I read a lot of people have had issues with longevity of those bulbs.

2009 G8 GT magnaflo cat back, RotoFab,a little computer massage,HSRK,BMR swaybars,poly bushings, FE3 shocks/struts, 20" machined SS rims,tasteful tint, HIDs,Debadged,SOLO HFC's, shorty's, CTS V Brembos That guy passing you, And yeah those marks are mine!

post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-04-2012, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 09 G8 View Post
Just looking for some good places online to buy HID's , and wanting to get your opinion on what color or Kelvin to go with (8000k--10000K) . Thanx
For color, most people go with 4300k or 5000k, closest to bright white. 35w h11 low beams, 55w at the most. Only buy for low beams.

High beams are best in halogen due to ward the fact that we flash and turn on and off regularly withou warm up time.

I am torn who to buy from as well. I have heard of issues with DDM, and VVME and not sure I want to drop $300 for phillips set

2008 PBM G8GT Premium Onyx/Red Leather
Solo Mach Ex, Rotofab intake, LS7 MAF, Pypes headers, Cam motion 219/229 .625/.625 112 cam, milled heads, LS3 hollow intake valves
FE3, TEIN Srings, ADR staggered 19's
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-04-2012, 07:30 PM
female, no 'bro'

Garage
speaking of low beams....know any hid kits that have the high beam? i found out the hard way with my grand am that i have to have a low AND high beam to pass inspection.
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-04-2012, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bouchie11982 View Post
speaking of low beams....know any hid kits that have the high beam? i found out the hard way with my grand am that i have to have a low AND high beam to pass inspection.
They are two separate bulbs so if you wanted hid for the highs it would be another kit. Different bulb type also.

2009 G8 GT magnaflo cat back, RotoFab,a little computer massage,HSRK,BMR swaybars,poly bushings, FE3 shocks/struts, 20" machined SS rims,tasteful tint, HIDs,Debadged,SOLO HFC's, shorty's, CTS V Brembos That guy passing you, And yeah those marks are mine!

post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-04-2012, 07:52 PM
2008 G8 GT

This past June or July, I finally bought my 55W 4500K kit from DDM tuning and so far, I've had not a single issue and I just plugged everything into the my stock wiring.

The kit came in 2 or 3 days, directly from China, shipping was fast and for the $55 or 60 total for the kit, totally worth the price.
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-04-2012, 08:04 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigbirneysG8 View Post
For color, most people go with 4300k or 5000k, closest to bright white.
TRUTH.

What people can't comprehend, is that the further you get away from 4300 or 5k, the DIMMER THE LIGHT OUTPUT!

So while 6k is more bluer than the above and, for many people, still provide acceptable light output, once you go to 8000k (very blue) or 10000k (purple with a hint of blue) or 12000k (purple) are going to light up the road significantly less than 4300/5000k. At those "temperatures" ... it's just for show.

There's a reason all the OEM HID offerings are either 4300k or 5000k.

Most people get HID's for their superior light output. If you get 8k or "higher" ... then you're defeating the purpose of upgrading your lighting in the first place.

Sorry if this sounds harsh, but I just had a "discussion" with a friend today about how terrible his 10k blue-purple HID's are. He didn't get it either. I hope others reading this thread do get it.

That said, I have VVME 5k 35w kit with delay circuit and relay harness. Highly recommended. VVME can be had on ebay for about $45-50 bucks for the base kit.

--zepcom

2009.1 ZEPCOM MGM G8 GT
Kooks LT's, SOLO HFC & Mach Unbalanced with J-pipes, SLP Tips.
Livernois tune, VCM, FE3's, full Holden blue gauges conversion, iphone on display. Daily Driver FTW
The ZEPCOM G8 was SOLO's test mule
www.youtube.com/zepcom

Bought 3/30/2009, retired 7/18/2017 at 136k miles, still strong. Been a great ride, she will be missed!
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-04-2012, 10:05 PM

Quote:
There is one by kensun on amazon. i prefer 6k but 8k looks nice too.
here is a link. i plan on getting these...maybe. just got the car today haha
http://www.amazon.com/Kensun-Xenon-Conversion-Digital-Ballasts/dp/B0050ZB9GY/ref=sr_1_4?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1325707680&sr= 1-4
I had that exact set up in my old car and they are a very good company to work with. That being said I now have the DDM 55W 6k kit. Both kits are nice but if you go with kensun there will be no waiting period and if anything happens the customer service is very helpful and sends replacements parts immediately. The only reason I went with DDM was because they were cheaper. Like Zep said don't go higher than 6k otherwise your defeating the purpose of upgrading.

13' Ford Focus ST2

2008 G8 GT PBM / No Roof - SOLD

Go: Livernois Stage 1 Cam / Circle D 3000 Stall / Ported TB & Intake / Roto-Fab CAI / Pat G Tune / SLP Powerflow Axlebacks / OBX 1 7/8 LT w/3in midpipe / LS7 MAF

Show: Avant Garde M310 / Eibach & Fe3 set up / Plasti Dipped Wheel and Kidney grills / Debadged / Tint (20% windshield, 5% sides, 20% on top of 5% on the rear) / Bathurst Stripes.
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-04-2012, 10:54 PM

Yet another option to investigate, Morimoto ELITE HID from "the retrofit source". I have a set in my wife's Astro for the past 3 months, so far so good. In the G8 I have DDM 35 lows and 55 highs - no problems there either since 9/9. 2K GP has VVME telescopics that I modded to become tilters - no problem since 2006. The only observed performance difference that Morimoto has is a faster ignition cycle - they come on faster than the DDM or VVME's.

So in the end, does it really matter?

That typed, from the visual, eye candy perspective the Morimoto looks to be of the best build quality (almost 3x the ddm price). I will say, the relay harness that comes with Morimoto IS the best* I have seen (heaviest Ga wire, a relay for each ballast) that comes with a retail kit.

* the exception is the harness I build which are tad bit "overkill"

9.5 RPM (Red Passion Metallic) Sport /Premium
ICOM 208H
"Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted."- unknown

All it takes is a little imagination, some mechanical ability, and neighbors who mind their own business. -red green

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-05-2012, 04:24 AM
female, no 'bro'

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotorCityG8 View Post
I had that exact set up in my old car and they are a very good company to work with. That being said I now have the DDM 55W 6k kit. Both kits are nice but if you go with kensun there will be no waiting period and if anything happens the customer service is very helpful and sends replacements parts immediately. The only reason I went with DDM was because they were cheaper. Like Zep said don't go higher than 6k otherwise your defeating the purpose of upgrading.
Yea I just need to find a kit with both hi n low beam. Stupid to have to have both to pass inspection here in MA. It's an HID no point in having a high beam lol
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-05-2012, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Yea I just need to find a kit with both hi n low beam. Stupid to have to have both to pass inspection here in MA. It's an HID no point in having a high beam lol
You wont find a kit with hi/lo seeing as they are two different bulbs. Your low beams are a H11 and your highs are H9(I think). I still have my stock high beams.

13' Ford Focus ST2

2008 G8 GT PBM / No Roof - SOLD

Go: Livernois Stage 1 Cam / Circle D 3000 Stall / Ported TB & Intake / Roto-Fab CAI / Pat G Tune / SLP Powerflow Axlebacks / OBX 1 7/8 LT w/3in midpipe / LS7 MAF

Show: Avant Garde M310 / Eibach & Fe3 set up / Plasti Dipped Wheel and Kidney grills / Debadged / Tint (20% windshield, 5% sides, 20% on top of 5% on the rear) / Bathurst Stripes.
post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-05-2012, 09:19 AM
Banned

I have had DDM ones for over 3 years just had to replace one bulb they offer lifetime warranty.
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-05-2012, 10:25 AM

Quote:
You do know there are two separate bulbs right?You get the HID's for the low beam bulb and leave the high beam stock.

post #16 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-05-2012, 12:18 PM
female, no 'bro'

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAPG8GT View Post
You do know there are two separate bulbs right?You get the HID's for the low beam bulb and leave the high beam stock.
yes i know it is two different bulbs. just wasn't sure if somewhere out there there one two in one kinda thing. if the head lights are much of a PITA to take out as the grand am headlights i'm screwed. i hated the grand am headlights LOL i took them out very often i could do them blind folded. its the little black tab on the bottom right of the GA headlight that always gave me issues.
post #17 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-05-2012, 01:46 PM

Just leave your Highs alone, they will pass inspection. And with the constent on/off of the highs, they are not allowed enough time to warm up. This can cause premature failure.

Now as far as what to get I have VVME 35w 5000K, no relay and pulled the DRL fuse. I have had this kit for almost a year with no problem. Trust me, the highest you want to even think of going is 6000.

Install isnt to bad. Driver side is easy, just have to take air filter box out. Then direct access. Pass side is a little tough as the relay box makes it a tight squeeze. You can losen the relaybox to get a little play.
There is a thread on here that leads through the install.

09.1 White Hot, Sport/Premium

Last edited by colby1035; 01-05-2012 at 02:02 PM.
post #18 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-05-2012, 03:58 PM
Yep, that just happened..

I love my ddm 6k's. No problems in almost 3 years. Good luck any way you go...

2008 Liquid Red G8, Thunder Racing Custom Camshaft
219/230, 607/610, 114 LSA, DOD Delete
Kooks LTH, kooks catted x-pipe, kooks axle back, Roto-fab CAI and 25% udp, DMH electric exhaust cutouts, little shot(alright, maybe not so little) of happy juice courtesy of HSW and tune by Tony G at HP Performance. Oh yeah, and 08 Super Bee as well!
post #19 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-05-2012, 04:26 PM
female, no 'bro'

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by colby1035 View Post
Just leave your Highs alone, they will pass inspection. And with the constent on/off of the highs, they are not allowed enough time to warm up. This can cause premature failure.

Now as far as what to get I have VVME 35w 5000K, no relay and pulled the DRL fuse. I have had this kit for almost a year with no problem. Trust me, the highest you want to even think of going is 6000.

Install isnt to bad. Driver side is easy, just have to take air filter box out. Then direct access. Pass side is a little tough as the relay box makes it a tight squeeze. You can losen the relaybox to get a little play.
There is a thread on here that leads through the install.
i had HIDs i my grand am and i didnt pass inspection because i didn't have hi beams. I told the guy i had HIDs, he didn't care. no high beams, no sticker. i dont know if the dealership will pass me if i put HIDs in the G8.
i'll have to get with my other G8 buddy mike and see how he gets his out. i dont want to spend hours trying to get the headlight in and out. the problem with the grand am was you would know if the headlight wasn't all the way in because the beam would be up or down and then you have those damn adjusters....grand am headlights were not my thing LOL

i agree about going as high as 6k. i had 6k in the GA and i loved it. i never seen 5k so id have to compare. pulling the DRL fuse won't show any codes? i know in the GA they did, i think a SVS code would pop up. so when that happened i just put tape over the DRL sensor under the front vent.
so much to learn!

P.S. MASS laws are very picky about what needs to be done to pass inspection. i had clear corner headlights in my car and i know they are illegal because i got ticketed for them, some inspection places let it go on my car though. and the tint can be no darker then 35% including the original tint on the car, MASS drivers cannot have ANYTHING around the license plate including those dealer plastic things, cannot have fog lights on unless it is foggy out (a friend of mine got pulled over for that) so yea MASS is a 'wonderful' place to live.....i can make a list of what has to be on a car for it to pass. it is all in who you know at the inspection place

Last edited by Bouchie11982; 01-05-2012 at 04:37 PM.
post #20 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-05-2012, 04:30 PM
Banned

G8 has a separete bulb for high beams so you should not have any issues with inspection
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page