Yay, back to the shop again! - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-21-2011, 06:13 PM Thread Starter

Yay, back to the shop again!

As some of you may remember, I had to have my entire long block replaced under warranty after the dealer found a crack in my block. Prior to that, I had a check-engine nightmare that resulted in O2 sensors, 2 ECMs, a crankshaft, and the timing chains and tensioners all being replaced without resolution.

That was at 40,000mi. Until yesterday, I had reached 79,000 incident-free. The car threw a P0008 CEL last night, which is related to the timing chain being stretched, so she will be back in for warranty service sometime this week. The timing chain setup on our LY7s is the most over-complicated thing ever. Three chains, three tensioners, and four guides. Bleh.

Does anyone know of any aftermarket chains, or are we pretty well stuck with the OEM ones? Near as I can tell, this is a relatively common issue on all matter of LY7 cars.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-21-2011, 06:15 PM

Damn dude you have the worst luck!
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-21-2011, 06:29 PM

It's a headache to be sure.
https://www.g8board.com/forums/showth...141#post577141
I don't know of any aftermarket chains but I figured that link would put a face to the problem.

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-23-2011, 07:29 PM

... Man that looks complicated, subscribed for results!!!

#NEVER GIVE UP
#AUDACITY OF HOPE

"Rather not run the risk of offending anyone, so let me just go ahead and offend someone". -PONY MAN

"When you write the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen". -UNKNOWN

post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-29-2011, 08:55 AM
I yam what I yam

Get a good lemon law lawyer and dump the lemon. I did and feel much better.

My Rides:

'12 Hyundai Genesis 5.0 R Spec Titanium Gray 5.0L 429 HP. Lovin it.

'08 Magnetic Gray Metallic Sedan. V6, Sunroof, Comfort and Sound package. Debadged, GT Rear Tail Lights, Tinted windows, 35% rear, 50% front. Royal Purple oil and K&N oil filter. (GONE Lemon Law)

'06 Harley Roadglide.
95" kit w/ custom heads and 50 mm TB. 101 HP/ 104 TQ.Lot's of custom body work as well. And it's Built by ME.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-29-2011, 03:47 PM

I know in CA, you can't lemon the thing unless it's within the first 18 months of purchase. I thought about it with mine, but I saw this 18 month thing.

2009 G8 GT

35W HID, LED fogs, custom front/rear Pontiac symbol badges, sharkfin, BlueStar Bluetooth, GXP front end, GXP diffuser, x-pipe, straight through mufflers with helmholtz chambers, RotoFab intake , Eibach springs, FE3 shocks/struts, BMR rear subframe inserts
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-29-2011, 06:37 PM

Garage
Seem's that your name is approate, and is your name Earl by any chance??????????????

2009 GT White Hot, AKA CASPER, Superchips 93 octane tune, Volant C.A.I with HSRK,Slotted and cross drilled rotors with ceramic pads,GXP Diffuser,Debadged.Solo axle backs, Coronet 440 style tips
Dyno 4/26/15,343 MAX H.P.,338.6 MAX TORQ
5/13/15 [email protected], 2.03- 60'."WE ARE THE LAST OF OUR KIND"
2009.1 V6 STRYKER BLUE, TRADED IN 1/10/13
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-30-2011, 12:06 AM Thread Starter

Heehee, nope!

It certainly doesn't help if you don't show up at your dealer for your scheduled appointment. Oops. Thankfully they are pretty understanding of my demanding schedule as an IT consultant, namely because I do all of their IT stuff for them as well. Hopefully I will be able to get her in this week. The CEL will go away by itself from time to time. I believe this is because the P0008 code gets thrown when the timing chain is off by more than 4ms or by 50ms consecutively.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-30-2011, 08:51 AM
I yam what I yam

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeyjdogg View Post
I know in CA, you can't lemon the thing unless it's within the first 18 months of purchase. I thought about it with mine, but I saw this 18 month thing.
Sorry but that is incorrect. If you want a number to a good Ca. Lemon law lawyer, let me know.

My car was 3 years old, 40K plus miles, still under warrenty when I called the lawyer. I think the big thing is the warrenty, if it's still coverd, then it's eligable for the lemon law.

My Rides:

'08 Magnetic Gray Metallic Sedan. V6, Sunroof, Comfort and Sound package. Debadged, GT Rear Tail Lights, Tinted windows, 35% rear, 50% front. Royal Purple oil and K&N oil filter. (GONE Lemon Law)

'06 Harley Roadglide.
95" kit w/ custom heads and 50 mm TB. 101 HP/ 104 TQ.Lot's of custom body work as well. And it's Built by ME.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-05-2011, 12:00 PM Thread Starter

Took it in, the mechanic said that the ECM had a new firmware to flash to it, so they did that, cleared the code, drove it around a bit and said it was good to go. Picked it up, drove it for 20 minutes, it threw the code again. The mechanic had to change the chains before, so I think he was dodging having to do it again. Regardless, it's going back today.
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-05-2011, 05:47 PM

Garage
Hay Karma i see you got a trifecta tune comming ,let me know if its worth it?

2009 GT White Hot, AKA CASPER, Superchips 93 octane tune, Volant C.A.I with HSRK,Slotted and cross drilled rotors with ceramic pads,GXP Diffuser,Debadged.Solo axle backs, Coronet 440 style tips
Dyno 4/26/15,343 MAX H.P.,338.6 MAX TORQ
5/13/15 [email protected], 2.03- 60'."WE ARE THE LAST OF OUR KIND"
2009.1 V6 STRYKER BLUE, TRADED IN 1/10/13
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-12-2011, 02:10 PM

Garage
Took my car in last wednesday, CEL on. Code P0018 - Crankshaft Position Camshaft Position Correlation Bank 2 Sensor 'A'

Took it to the dealer, They said they had to put a new set of timing chains on. Warranty Repair. Got a rental for 2 days.

Pick it up Friday, 4.9miles after leaving the dealer I get a CEL on. Code P0008 - The ECM detects that both camshafts on either bank of the engine are mis-aligned with the crankshaft for more than 4 seconds or a cumulative of 50 seconds.

Took it back this morning, both Code P0018 & P0008 are on now. Wonder what it is?

54,000 miles on the Odometer
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-12-2011, 02:11 PM

Garage
Funny thing too, another G8 v6, Blue was there last wednesday, not sure what for. It was back this morning too. Wonder if the dealer is just trying to start a collection.
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-12-2011, 03:38 PM

Garage
The dealer says they gotta tear down the block and replace the crank now. Another boring rental for a week. Yay.
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-12-2011, 07:27 PM

I am at 51k miles. No codes but waiting for it any day now. Once fixed it is gone,

Now - 2011 Cadillac CTS - Raven Black 3.0 DI - Fully loaded, and yes, mods have begun!

Had - 2009 V6 Sport Red Metallic, Premium and Comfort Package. Sunroof. Modifications: Pedders Street II Package with Sway Bars and STB. Full Bra and Side Mirror Bras, Hacked Atari Gauges, Auto Dimming Rear Mirror, Racemesh Grills. Glove Box Light, Factory Bluetooth, BMR subframe and tunnel braces, BMR Rear Adjustable Toe Links, SPOHN Rear LCA and Trailing Arms. Infinity Kappa Speakers GO SAINTS
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-13-2011, 12:25 PM
I yam what I yam

Two Words:

LEMON LAW

Turned mine in last night. Should have the check by the end of next week. NO MORE GM's for me.

My Rides:

'06 Harley Roadglide.
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-20-2011, 02:36 PM Thread Starter

Car goes in today for timing chains and tensioners. I get to ride around in a Chevy Impaler for a few days. God, I hate those damn cars. They handle like a boat.
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-21-2011, 04:07 PM

Garage
Mine is still at the Dealer.

Dropped off at the Dealer on the 7th (Wednesday)

Went in for P0018 - They said it needs new Timing Chains

Picked it up on the 9th (Friday)

Drove 4.9 miles, CEL comes on - P0008,P0018,P0009

Dropped it off first thing on the 12th (Monday)

They say it needs a New Crank???????????

Picked it up on the 17th @2pm (Saturday) Drove great. :-)

About 7 hours later, put it in reverse, backed out of my parking space, put it in drive and the car went in reverse again. The Shift Linkage was not hooked back up and the car was Stuck in reverse.

Towed it to my work and left it in the Garage

Went to the dealer on the 19th (This Monday) made them come get the car from my work and showed them not only was the car not assembled properly, but there are BLACK greasy handprints on both fenders, under the hood, bumper, spilled fluids under the hood. A complete mess.

The took the car, called me and told me they order a connector for the shift linkage and it would be here Tuesday and that my car would be Fully detailed in showroom condition
Tuesday. Called tuesday and said they didn't have the parts yet. They close in 2 hours and no word today.

Who should I call to notify about the Horrible Service???? I was keeping my cool until I was left stranded due to poor workmanship and lack of double checking my car after the repair.

I'm beyond upset. Especially since I paid my car payment yesterday on a car I haven't had in two weeks.
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-21-2011, 10:13 PM

OMG! Is there an Australian mechanic in the house?! What the heck is going on with GM tech's?

post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-11-2012, 01:20 PM Thread Starter

Got it back a week or so ago, sorry for the delay in the update. She's running top notch, seems to get up a bit better than before I took her in too.

I gotta say, there are some horror stories out there about GM service, but that was NOT my experience. Perhaps it's just because I am closely acquainted with my mechanic (I do their IT management and have had 100% of my service done by them), but damn if they didn't take care of me. They did a full oil change with Mobil1 full synthetic (which is all they have ever used on my vehicle) and much to my surprise also went through and replaced the cabin air filter because it was accessible. It has never been replaced and was in terrible shape and they did it at no charge, simply as a courtesy.

I noticed on my invoice that the mechanic wrote something to the effect of "issue being caused by old-style chains." I'm really curious if GM sent a new style part! I need to do some more research on this and I'll post back.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page