traction control - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-07-2012, 09:20 PM Thread Starter

traction control

Wondering if any body as seen this and what to do. The traction control is on then when you drive for a ways it goes off. When it goes off I can not turn it back on unless I stop and turn vehicle off. Then the process starts all over again. Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers Labatt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-08-2012, 06:56 AM

It might be a problem with a wheel speed sensor. Though it should throw a code when one goes bad. Is the CEL light on? Take it to an auto parts store that can pull the codes for you.

-Dennis-

2014 Camaro Silver Ice 2LT +RS
2009 G8 V6 PBM Premium+Comfort&Sound = SOLD
mods: Rotofab CAI, mid-muffler and resonator delete, Magnaflow x-pipe: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...d1qRKK_ChAwmZZ
GT brake upgrade: painted G2 black w/BrakePerformance slotted rotors and Hawk ceramic pads.
2000 Maxima Custom M/F Catback, K&N - SOLD
1972 Lemans 350, 4B - SOLD
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-08-2012, 07:54 AM Thread Starter

what is a CEL? The screen in the dash indicates that the traction control is off. There are no engine light on. I can get codes checked.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-08-2012, 08:04 AM

CEL: Check Engine Light

Sent from my HTC One X using AutoGuide.Com Free App

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
09 SRM G8 GT aka Ironman:
Vararam|SLP LTs|X-pipe|Comp Cam 226/231|Tuned by Dynospeed
5% Tint|Gloss Black roof vinyl|VVME 8000K 55W HIDs
Powdercoated Bremmer Kraft BR05 20x8.5/10 et28 - F245/35-R275/30 Delinte D7 tires

STOCK: [email protected] 60ft 2.08 (full tank of gas, Bridgestones)
Cortex93 + Vararam: [email protected] 60ft 2.06 (half tank, Crapyears)
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-08-2012, 11:23 AM

Are you getting the " Stability Control Off" message displayed, which then minimizes to "esp off" at the lower left of the DIC? If so, the system saw something it didn't like.
For example, if it turned off somewhere during the first 1/2 to 2 mile area of driving, it looks like it would have been caused by the VSES senors initialization period. If it flunked, you would get that message, an it would stay that way until ignition turn off. Then it would reset itself at the next ignition turn on, an go thru the process again. It may pass the next time, and your good to go. Or it could flunk again, an annoy you, as well as being "inop" for that drive cycle.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-08-2012, 11:31 AM

You brake lights arent on all the time are they? There was a recall similar to this a while back and it effected cruise control. Check and see if your brake lights are engaged all the time. Dealer can prob reprogram and fix it.

12.19 @ 112.71 w/ 1.68 60ft
Show:Gunmetal VMR V710's w/Bridgestone RE-11's Front:245/40R19 Rear: 285/35R19, GXP Diffuser, 35W 6K HID's, Holden V8 Badges, TSS Darts
Go: Vararam CAI, LS7 MAF, RC Ported Intake/TB, SLP UDP, Kooks 1 3/4(no cats), Corsa Exhaust, 3200 Stall, 3.45 gears, Spartan Tuned
Brakes/Suspension: 6pot CTSV Brembos, Pedders GSR Struts/Shocks on HD Springs, BMR Front/Rear Sway Bars w/endlinks, BMR rods/arms, BMR Subframe and Tunnel Brace, BMR Bushings(Front, Rear, Rear Cradle)
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-12-2013, 11:14 PM

Does anybody have any idea of why my car is pulling back and forth when I take off and then sometimes I go to step on the gas and it won't go? Oh and how do I fix the stability controll problem with it going off while I'm driving?
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-13-2013, 07:42 AM

Do you have a service light on? It might be that a bad wheel sensor is a fault here. Take it to shop and find out. Traction control relies on wheel speed sensors. If 1 of them is bad or intermittent TC will shut off.

-Dennis-

mods: Rotofab CAI, mid-muffler and resonator delete, Magnaflow x-pipe: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...d1qRKK_ChAwmZZ
GT brake upgrade: painted G2 black w/BrakePerformance slotted rotors and Hawk ceramic pads.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-13-2013, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidhauler View Post
Do you have a service light on? It might be that a bad wheel sensor is a fault here. Take it to shop and find out. Traction control relies on wheel speed sensors. If 1 of them is bad or intermittent TC will shut off.

-Dennis-
Thank you I thought that's what it might be but I wasn't positive.the service light isn't on. Do you have any idea of why when I take off it kind of pulls back and the rpms will go up and down and my foot isn't moving up and down on the pedal it's steady then as I'm driving I will push the gas pedal all the way down and it won't go any faster
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-13-2013, 08:56 AM

Not believing in coincidences, I would say the same wheel speed sensor. If it is flakey it could be telling the ECU that the wheel is spinning which would cause TC to cut the throttle and appy brake to that wheel.

-Dennis-

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-13-2013, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidhauler View Post
Not believing in coincidences, I would say the same wheel speed sensor. If it is flakey it could be telling the ECU that the wheel is spinning which would cause TC to cut the throttle and appy brake to that wheel.

-Dennis-
Thank you very much you've been very helpful
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-13-2013, 10:11 AM

You maybe should locate an auto parts store that has a somewhat higher level scan/code reader that will check for any codes set (many do), for free. There have been a few owners that have had a wheel speed sensor (almost always a rear wheel), and a few that have had the wire harness routed to them go bad (broken wires, excessive corrosion). Wheel speed sensor faults do not turn on the MIL (check engine light). But certain wheel speed sensor faults can produce the symptoms you are talking about. I'm thinking you might have a fault code(s) set in memory, of something like *C0045 or C0050*. Those are faults that the left and right rear wheel speed sensors would send out. Easy to verify, if you can find a friendly parts store near you, that says they can pull up ABS fault codes.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-13-2013, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOPHERIT View Post
You maybe should locate an auto parts store that has a somewhat higher level scan/code reader that will check for any codes set (many do), for free. There have been a few owners that have had a wheel speed sensor (almost always a rear wheel), and a few that have had the wire harness routed to them go bad (broken wires, excessive corrosion). Wheel speed sensor faults do not turn on the MIL (check engine light). But certain wheel speed sensor faults can produce the symptoms to are talking about. I'm thinking you might have a fault code(s) set in memory, of something like *C0045 or C0050*. Those are faults that the left and right rear wheel speed sensors would send out. Easy to verify, if you can find a friendly parts store near you, that says they can pull up ABS fault codes.
Ok thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page