Pontiac G8 Forum banner

what tires came stock from the dealership on a g8?

10K views 74 replies 31 participants last post by  frostopsy 
#1 ·
I am just curious, if you bought your g8 at a dealership in 08' or 09 what brand of tires came on it? do you still have your original tires?

#4 ·
I know Goodyear's came on the 2009 models. Not sure about the 2008's. No factory tires here since the Goodyear's were terrible in rain and the first few times the car lost traction in rainy weather, freaked me out just a smudge.

#5 ·
My 2008 GT came stock with Goodyear Eagle RS-A's.... worst tire ever made.

I'm pretty sure the V6 models came with the same.

The summer tire option with the sport package were the Bridgestone Potenza Re760 I believe that r1owner stated.

#11 ·
V6 All Season was Eagle RSA which is what mine has on the front right now. I know a lot of the GT Summer Only were RE050A's from Bridgestone.

#13 ·
At 42k miles, still have the original Goodyear Eagle LSA's on them. They're actually not bad in the rain. I reckon I have about 5000 more miles of life on them.

2009.5 WH GT
GXP diffuser
aFE air filter
Reflective Concepts decals

#29 ·
Are you serious? I had the V6 and that car was all over the place in the rain at 20-25,000 miles with the RSA's. and it was deadly in the snow after 15000 miles. Maybe I just burned through mine quick. donno

#15 ·
Shouldn't matter for the year or model, just size.
18s(V6 & Premium) = Goodyear RSA
19s(Sport & GXP) = Bridgestone RE050

I put my Conti DWS on right after I got the car at 19k since Summer only does work here in St. Louis for a DD, lol. So I have no experience with either.

#16 ·
They're known as Screamin' Eagles. When they get roughly quarter to halfway worn down they tend to harden worse than a Michelin and scream loudly on the interstate. I had two originals I discarded with about 40k miles on them they were on the front only and wore pretty damn well for being on the front of the car only. But they were getting loud enough to where you could hear them in the car. Even though I got rid of them they still had a descent amount of tread left on them to where they could have gone to about 50K in mileage I would say before the wear bars became fully exposed.

#18 ·
The dealer had already installed brand new RS-A's on mine when I picked it up a few weeks back. They aren't too bad actually.

#19 ·
The V-6 and GTs with 18" rims came with the Eagle RS-As. The GTs with 19" sport package have the Bridgestones. I had the Eagle RS-As when I bought mine. These tires were great on my last car but are horrible on the G8. I now have the Eagle GTs and they have been great tires both dry and rain.

#23 ·
Had the RS-A's on my car and they sucked big ones from the day I drove it off the lot with 70 miles on them. If it was the least bit damp, they lost traction.

I made it to about 60k miles with them, but was not pleased with their performance.

#25 ·
Really? I had plenty of fun burnouts (no John Force style but lots of show-off times). Daily drove her everywhere including a couple trips to Florida. Wear life was great. Just the performance sucked.

#27 ·
Not that hard to put high miles on tires, rotate and balance every 5k miles and check the alignment 3 times a year. You'll be surprise how much longer tires last even if you're a little spirited like me behind the wheel.

#69 ·
:sneaky:

If you have to re-balance every 5,000 miles, and have your alignment checked 3 times/year, then a.) you could buy a new set of tires due to premature wear for that kind of money (an alignment around here is at least $100), and b.) you must live in the pothole capital of the universe!

I rotate my tires every 10,000 km (6,000 miles), but I've never needed an alignment - and we have BAD roads - and didn't need a re-balance on my RS-As right up until I replaced them at 60,000 miles (still with some tread, but I was just tired of how much they sucked and looked dorky).

#30 ·
I think both the RSA's and the RE050A are pretty terrible tires. The RSA is the worst OEM tire that I have ever seen (before Hyundai started putting Kumho's on some of their new cars).

The RE050A should not be a OEM tire period. It has terrible treadwear and lasts 20k miles at most. For some reason BMW uses them as OEM on their sport package equipped 3 series as well so I had the misfortune of owning two cars with these money pits installed.

#45 ·
The RE050A should not be a OEM tire period. It has terrible treadwear and lasts 20k miles at most. For some reason BMW uses them as OEM on their sport package equipped 3 series as well so I had the misfortune of owning two cars with these money pits installed.
Still have my stock RE050A tires on my '08 GT. 42,000 miles. They're getting close to the wear-bars though.

#34 ·
RSAs wear like iron and have equivalent traction. Except when wet. Then they are worse.

#37 ·
I loved my RE050's. They didn't last long but they were sticky. I kept buying them used from members here as they sold them with plenty of tread left! I've probably been through four sets in a little less than 100k miles; all but my new ones were used of course so already had some wear. I just don't want to pay the new price for them!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.