Coolant flush? - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By SRG963
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-15-2013, 09:22 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 12
Coolant flush?

Getting ready to hit 60k in my '08 G8 v6. Haven't had a coolant flush yet so I wanted to do one here soon for the spring. Is this something that can be done myself or should I take it in? Thanks!
MillerPI2142 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-15-2013, 09:36 AM
Its Good To Be Tha King
 
SRG963's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Charlotte NC
Posts: 9,064
Factory fill should last 100k or 5 years unless heavily modified IMO
shel1110 likes this.



Trigger - Fully Loaded 2008 Stealth Blue Pontiac G8 GT

Rotofab/Cortex/BMR/Pedders/VMR/
Adams/OBX/Nitto
PRAISE THE LOWERED


SRG963 is offline  
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-15-2013, 09:38 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 12
I'm low on the miles but I'm pushing 5 years and I'm not sure what the previous owner had done to it. I've got a feeling it was nothing. I've heard bad things about running the factory dex-cool longer than 5 years....
MillerPI2142 is offline  
 
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-15-2013, 09:44 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerPI2142 View Post
I'm low on the miles but I'm pushing 5 years and I'm not sure what the previous owner had done to it. I've got a feeling it was nothing. I've heard bad things about running the factory dex-cool longer than 5 years....
Yea, at least the older Dex formula used to turn solid! I also think it was related to having low coolant too, like exposure to air inside the system when pressurized or some crazy mess like that.

I doubt this is a complicated procedure. I can pull up the procedure in the service manual and post once I get home if someone else doesn't chime in by then.

wolds is offline  
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-15-2013, 09:46 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 12
That would be much appreciated. Thanks wolds!
MillerPI2142 is offline  
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-15-2013, 06:53 PM
Capital City G8
 
Derekprz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Parkville, Maryland
Posts: 1,555
I had a 96 Olds Cutlass Supreme 3.4L. The Dex Cool in my opinion back then sucked. I had overheating issues that didn't go away until i replaced the radiator. The radiator was badly clogged because of the gunk residue from the Dex Cool. I'm thinking at flushing mine at 50K.

2008 Pontiac G8 Panther Black
Comfort and Sound Package/Sunroof
OEM XM, OEM Bluetooth

GT Brakes

Capital City G8 Car Club

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Appearance: 20% Tint, 6K HIDs 35W Lows, 50W LED Fogs,Debadged,GXP Diffuser, Blacked Out Grilles and Trim, VG Sharkfin, Rear Roof Spoiler
Performance:
Roto-Fab CAI, GT Brakes,

Derekprz is offline  
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-15-2013, 08:53 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 127
You're on time with maintenance for this, so a simple drain and refill is probably sufficient.

From the Helm’s service manual:
Cooling System Draining and Filling (6.0L)
Draining Procedure
1. Disconnect battery ground [I would usually skip this step]
2. Ensure engine is below 50*C before removing the coolant pressure cap.
3. Raise and support the vehicle.
4. Place a drain pan under the drain ****.
5. Loosen the drain **** until coolant flows out of the radiator. (Note: If drain **** is not being replaced do not remove it from the radiator.)
6. Inspect the engine coolant for the following conditions:
a. Discolored appearance – Follow the flush procedure.
b. Normal appearance – Follow the filling procedure.
Filling Procedure
1. Tighten the drain ****.
2. Lower the vehicle.
3. With the engine off, remove the coolant filler cap.
4. Slowly fill the cooling system with a mixture of 50/50 dex cool and water until coolant flows out of air bleed hose spigot. Refit air bleed hose.
a. Note: When pouring coolant take care not to spill any coolant onto the accessory drive belts. If spilling occurs, rinse the belts immediately with water.
[I think the manual has an error here, because it does not include a step for the 6.0L motor to remove the air bleed hose mentioned. However, the 3.6L instructions for filling has an extra step that says: “Remove the engine coolant air bleed hose by releasing retaining hose clamp and remove it from the radiator spigot.”]
b. Note: Lift the radiator top hose underneath the air intake tube, to release air bubble in hose, top up if level drops.
5. Start engine.
6. With engine idling top up coolant until full, wait for several seconds and “top up” if level drops.
7. When full, fit coolant filler cap and switch off engine.
8. Check coolant level in coolant recovery reservoir. Adjust coolant level in the reservoir to the top of graphic mark on the dipstick.

wolds is offline  
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-15-2013, 09:00 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 12
Thanks! I've got the 3.6L....so when exactly do I remove the air bleed hose and do I just push it to the side or something? First time doing this so trying to be sure.
MillerPI2142 is offline  
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-15-2013, 09:21 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 127
Oh, I guess you didn't specify and I didn't ask!

The procedure is almost identical. Remove the air bleed hose after you finish step 3 above, so it's basically the same steps here for V6 and V8.

The only actual difference seems to be that the V6 does not have the note to mess with the upper radiator hose to release any air bubbles, although it probably can't hurt to just do this anyway.

The other difference I think is a typo. After the step to top up with the engine idling, the V6 instructions read as follows:
9. Stop engine, wait several seconds and "top up" if level drops.
10. When full, fit coolant filler cap and switch off engine.

These 2 steps are contradictory. If followed word for word, it tells you to shut the engine off after it was already turned off. For all cars I've owned in the past, the coolant level will be lower while the car is running with the radiator cap removed, so the 2 contradictory instructions don't make much sense because the coolant would spill over when you shut the car off if you don't put the radiator cap on before turning the car off typically. I would just follow the V8 instructions as outlined above and make sure to remove the air bleed hose from the radiator neck after you remove the radiator cap.

wolds is offline  
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-17-2013, 07:07 AM
Senior Member
 
PONY MAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: EARTH :-/
Posts: 4,358
I recommend changing the majority of your fluids at regular intervals which depends on a number of variables. Sure you could leave the oil in for 10,000 miles, radiator fluid and spark plugs in for 100,000 miles, but it might cause problems further down the road as inhibitors in the fluid begin to deteriorate. Generally, after 50,000 miles it is time to change the factory spark plugs and radiator fluid, some might beg to differ, but that's okay too. Also, I try to drain and refill the master cylinder and power steering fluid every 25,000 miles. Sure it not the same as disconnecting the lines and removing all of the fluid, but seems like it should help something.

#NEVER GIVE UP
#AUDACITY OF HOPE

"Rather not run the risk of offending anyone, so let me just go ahead and offend someone". -PONY MAN

"When you write the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen". -UNKNOWN














PONY MAN is offline  
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-17-2013, 07:40 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Detroit, Michigan
Posts: 478
If you have access to compressed air, there is a tool that you can use that pulls a vacuum on the entire cooling system, and uses that vacuum to draw in coolant to completely fill the system and avoid any air in the system. We use these on a daily basis at work, and are well worth the investment. Especially if you wrench alot. Pricing depends on where you buy them. Snap On, Matco, Cornwell, MAC tools all sell these. I would assume you could get them elsewhere also.http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item....re&dir=catalog
G8One2 is offline  
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-26-2015, 02:37 PM
Senior Member
 
nbortz34's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 284
Sorry to revive an old thread here, but I think I am having issues with air the system and I have tried bleeding it out a couple of times now.

My levels are for sure okay (reservoir and radiator), and I have done the whole "burp the upper hose" thing too...

Can anyone help clarify which hose is the air bleed hose, when to remove it, and when to reattach it? Does it work like the old school bleeder screw where you would open it while idling and wait until coolant flows out?

Thanks all
nbortz34 is offline  
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-26-2015, 05:40 PM
Senior Member
 
tazmaniac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 734
Talking Hey

Wolds i started a thread called Flat Hose. I could sure use your input. I went to add coolant to my radiator, but noticed it has pink coolant in it. the Dex Cool i have seen is Orange. i am afraid if i add anything and mix it, it will damage the system. Any help is appreciated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolds View Post
You're on time with maintenance for this, so a simple drain and refill is probably sufficient.

From the Helm’s service manual:
Cooling System Draining and Filling (6.0L)
Draining Procedure
1. Disconnect battery ground [I would usually skip this step]
2. Ensure engine is below 50*C before removing the coolant pressure cap.
3. Raise and support the vehicle.
4. Place a drain pan under the drain ****.
5. Loosen the drain **** until coolant flows out of the radiator. (Note: If drain **** is not being replaced do not remove it from the radiator.)
6. Inspect the engine coolant for the following conditions:
a. Discolored appearance – Follow the flush procedure.
b. Normal appearance – Follow the filling procedure.
Filling Procedure
1. Tighten the drain ****.
2. Lower the vehicle.
3. With the engine off, remove the coolant filler cap.
4. Slowly fill the cooling system with a mixture of 50/50 dex cool and water until coolant flows out of air bleed hose spigot. Refit air bleed hose.
a. Note: When pouring coolant take care not to spill any coolant onto the accessory drive belts. If spilling occurs, rinse the belts immediately with water.
[I think the manual has an error here, because it does not include a step for the 6.0L motor to remove the air bleed hose mentioned. However, the 3.6L instructions for filling has an extra step that says: “Remove the engine coolant air bleed hose by releasing retaining hose clamp and remove it from the radiator spigot.”]
b. Note: Lift the radiator top hose underneath the air intake tube, to release air bubble in hose, top up if level drops.
5. Start engine.
6. With engine idling top up coolant until full, wait for several seconds and “top up” if level drops.
7. When full, fit coolant filler cap and switch off engine.
8. Check coolant level in coolant recovery reservoir. Adjust coolant level in the reservoir to the top of graphic mark on the dipstick.

Momma im going Fast!
tazmaniac is offline  
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-26-2015, 06:51 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Detroit, Michigan
Posts: 478
For those of you filling you cooling system, i would suggest purchasing one of these.
http://www.nationaltoolwarehouse.com...FQgtaQodKWQN3w

"Opinions expressed are solely my own and do not express the views or opinions of my employer."
2009 G8 GT - Self Built - Kooks 1 7/8" LT, Catted connection Pipes, Corsa Cat Back Exhaust, VCM OTR, LS7 MAF, Custom Cam w/ DoD Delete, Ferrea L92 Hollow Stem Intake Valves, PSI 1511ML Valve Springs, LS7 Lifters, Cometic .040" Head Gaskets, Cloyes Hex-a-Just timing gear, 7.350" Comp Cams Magnum Pushrods, Flycut Pistons, 11.45:1 Compression, HP/TQ TBD, Pat G tuned.
G8One2 is offline  
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-26-2015, 06:52 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Detroit, Michigan
Posts: 478
And one of these....

http://www.amazon.com/ATD-Tools-3705-Coolant-Refractometer/dp/B000Q8U7P4

"Opinions expressed are solely my own and do not express the views or opinions of my employer."
2009 G8 GT - Self Built - Kooks 1 7/8" LT, Catted connection Pipes, Corsa Cat Back Exhaust, VCM OTR, LS7 MAF, Custom Cam w/ DoD Delete, Ferrea L92 Hollow Stem Intake Valves, PSI 1511ML Valve Springs, LS7 Lifters, Cometic .040" Head Gaskets, Cloyes Hex-a-Just timing gear, 7.350" Comp Cams Magnum Pushrods, Flycut Pistons, 11.45:1 Compression, HP/TQ TBD, Pat G tuned.
G8One2 is offline  
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-26-2015, 07:37 PM
Senior Member
 
norton13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,839
Quote:
Originally Posted by G8One2 View Post
Change the fluid at 5 years and done with it.My dexcool was still good at less than 40,000 miles but the 5 years was up.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]K&N CAI, Pypes headers, Solo HFC's,Solo axle backs, Custom tune, FE3 Struts & Shocks, White line bushings & bearings, Rear Cradle inserts, Moog end links.Little lunati cam,SLP 25 %UDP, AC tensioner upgrade.15% tint.12" sub woofer with amp.Future upgrade Power slot rotors & posi quiet pads.


V6 Spectre CAI, Original Overkill tune,FE3 Struts & Shocks, White line bushings & bearings, BMR Rear Cradle inserts, Moog end links.12" sub woofer with amp.
norton13 is offline  
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-27-2015, 06:05 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: SW Ohio
Posts: 1,850
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazmaniac View Post
Wolds i started a thread called Flat Hose. I could sure use your input. I went to add coolant to my radiator, but noticed it has pink coolant in it. the Dex Cool i have seen is Orange. i am afraid if i add anything and mix it, it will damage the system. Any help is appreciated.
In the short run: If it doesn't need much coolant, then I'd add plain water. Before winter, check the freeze point after the water has had a chance to mix with the existing coolant. You'll need the correct antifreeze tester for whatever type of antifreeze it is, which will be a problem, see below.

One kind of pink antifreeze is used in certain imported cars (especially VW/Audi) and another kind of pink is used in heavy trucks. And of course there's the pink antifreeze used in the plumbing systems of recreational vehicles (RV). God only knows which one of those is in your car, and why, and whether or not it will harm your car.

The long-term fix is to get your cooling system flushed and the weird pink antifreeze replaced with normal Dexcool. That's what I would do as soon as possible.

Good explanation of the different colors and types of antifreeze at:
http://www.hemmings.com/hmn/stories/...feature20.html

Gone but not forgotten: 2009 Pontiac G8 GT, White Hot, Premium, Sport. Tune is "Down Under" by Men At Work.
WhiteHotG8GT is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Tags
coolant , diy , flush

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome