HID Installation Question. - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-25-2013, 11:32 PM Thread Starter

Question HID Installation Question.

I received my HIDs in the mail today and was wondering, can one simply just unscrew the headlight assembly and install the bulbs ballast ect.?

2008 Pontiac G8 Panther Black v6
Mods: 20% tint, 8k 55w HIDS
soon to be more..

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-25-2013, 11:38 PM

I was able to get to both from under the hood, the driver side was easy for me since i have a vararam intake and that side is open, the passenger side was a pain in the ass for me with my big hands, but was able to get it.

Go: Vararam OTR CAI, Mid-Muffler/Resonator replaced with X-Pipe, Solo Axle-Backs, Cortex 91 Octane Tune, Spohn Trailing arms.

Show: 5% Tint, V6 Taillights, Camaro 20"s, Cleared Side Marker Lense, 6K HID's, 6K LED's fogs-Reverse-Tag-Side Markers-Dome, 2 10" JL W3v3's, Diamond 600.1 Amp.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-26-2013, 12:09 AM
2009 G8 GXP

Take Your time remove front wheel and liner. You need to cut holes and seal the headlight caps. Moreover you will be able to secure the ballast and wiring better. Good luck

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-26-2013, 05:54 PM

Make sure you aim them just a little bit lower, it will help out a bit with the glare coming from a Halogen Style Projector.

2008 Liquid Red V6: K&N Air Filter, Commodore Tail Lamps, GM 410mm Antenna Mast, Coil Spring Rubbers for rear suspension, Pontiac Mud Guards (Winter Only), COMMODORE Badge, GM Chiclet Debadge, UK Tax Disc, Bridgestone Potenza RE050A 96W tires, and an Interstate Battery.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-26-2013, 09:18 PM
Banned

What kind did you get?
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-26-2013, 11:16 PM Thread Starter

I bought the DDM HID kit. 8000k h11 55w w/relay harness

2008 Pontiac G8 Panther Black v6
Mods: 20% tint, 8k 55w HIDS
soon to be more..

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-28-2013, 12:00 AM

DDM is not a bad budget kit. I used a similar knock off kit which was great when I did a conversion of my Focus to show that even Halogen Projectors aren't really meant for HID's. I usually recommend the retrofit source. All one word for their website. Staff is good and knowledgeable, they have Morimoto and Phillips Ballasts which are some of the best out there if you're looking for high dollar products. I also suggest them if you go with a full retrofit for real HID projectors. I have to admit as before, the halogen projectors that our G8's use are pretty good, I almost suspect that they perhaps are HID lenses actually seeing some pics of HID's put in or just that good of quality. Just remember to aim lower, one of the best ways to get a good compromise is to take a crate to sit down on with the lights on and sit at an angle from the front bumper as if you're in a car facing yours. Gives you a good way to adjust to minimize the glare produced and still have optimum lighting.

2008 Liquid Red V6: K&N Air Filter, Commodore Tail Lamps, GM 410mm Antenna Mast, Coil Spring Rubbers for rear suspension, Pontiac Mud Guards (Winter Only), COMMODORE Badge, GM Chiclet Debadge, UK Tax Disc, Bridgestone Potenza RE050A 96W tires, and an Interstate Battery.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-01-2013, 04:36 AM

Garage
If you have the patience, you can skip taking anything apart like I did for my head and fog lights. The relay box side is a bit of a pain but it saves you the strain of dealing with all the push pins and wrestling with the wheel wells or front facia removal.

2008 Pontiac G8 GT White Hot - Solo Mach shorty Cat-back, Whiteline strut tower brace, HP tuners

Sold:
2009 Pontiac G8 Liquid Red 3.6L Premium Comfort and Sound Package
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-01-2013, 06:21 AM
every village has one

Take your time and remove whatever is in your way. The fender liners are no big deal, and removing the front wheels isn't bad either. You'll have to drill out the center of your dust covers with a 15/16 hole saw, and silicone the grommets anyhow. If you don't, you'll risk the headlights fogging up.
Give yourself lots of room, and be patient like the man says. It won't be good if you have to do it twice.

things are not as they appear to be.........

2009.5 LiquidRed/OnyxRed, Premium Package
e85 Surprise Package
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-06-2013, 06:38 AM

I removed the fender liners on mine. It was very easy. Be sure to check and make sure you have solid grounds and you will be good. I think there's a nice in depth DIY article on here if I'm not mistaken too...

2008 G8 GT MGM
Solo HF Cats, Solo Mach Exhaust w/dual 3.5" tips, Rotofab CAI, GXP rear diffuser, Tune by Patrick G
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
hid , install , pontiac g8 , v6 stallation

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page