What time is it? Well, it's "next mod help" time! - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-12-2013, 08:24 PM Thread Starter

What time is it? Well, it's "next mod help" time!

Okay so I'm very satisfied on my modding so far. I think I've gone the "tasteful yet aggressive" look on the exterior and I'm happy with the way my suspension is going(maybe a couple more things to add). So what next? Well, that's why I've come to you fine people for help.
My choices are between engine or exhaust and are listed below and keep in mind, cost is a "minor" factor in all of this.

Option A: A mace tune coupled with manifold insulators, maybe a HSRK.

Option B: a catback exhaust with possible HFCs and some other bits.

I'm going to be test fitting a few different GT catbacks in a few weeks for a vendor here, so if I decide to go that route, it'll cost roughly half of option A I'm guessing. On the other hand, the tune and insulators show real world gains, especially in low end torque (which is brutal in these engines) but it'll be much more expensive. Decisions decisions.

Any thoughts or advise would be much appreciated. Cheers.

OGOC (Ontario G8 Owners Club)
09 PBM V6 (Traded)
GXP Diffuser, Mace Insulators, Solo, CAI, FE3, BMR, much more
Replaced with
09 WH GT, Solo Mach, HF Cats, CAI, LS3 Cam, Pat G Tuned, FE3, Whiteline, SuperPro, Centric/Hawk, DAI Autobahns 19x8.5/+35, RE760s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-12-2013, 08:51 PM
I maek mah avitar :3

You'll have to talk to Hazer for the tune as I'm not sure of anyone else this side of the pond who has one for the LY7.

For me, personally, I don't trust remote tunes though I think you can buy the hardware outright (as opposed to renting it).

I know the insulators are one of the best things to put on and do show real world results.

If you can get a good deal on a V8 cat back, then I'd say go for that. The mach shorty is $800 and their HFCs I think are around $700. Rich's car shows just how awesome the mach sounds so it would be the one I went for. Add some headers in there and you'll sound like no other.

Any thoughts of chassis stiffening? Subframes? tunnel brace? etc. If the car can't go fast, make it handle fast?

I wanted FE3s but I'm going to wait until GM sorts their crap out. The issue with 2 right side struts in box was apparently a huge problem.

Plastiderp
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-12-2013, 09:41 PM Thread Starter

The only remaining piece of the suspension puzzle is going to be sway bars. I don't think a tunnel brace would do much. Maybe forgo the tune and get a catback and insulators. Work a little more on the induction side. Use the extra towards cats or the sways.

09 PBM V6 (Traded)
Replaced with
09 WH GT, Solo Mach, HF Cats, CAI, LS3 Cam, Pat G Tuned, FE3, Whiteline, SuperPro, Centric/Hawk, DAI Autobahns 19x8.5/+35, RE760s

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-12-2013, 10:36 PM

If you want to go for me gusta, you can get the Orssom OTR intake that MACE carries and order it with the insulators.

The OTR isn't cheap ($580 AUD) and shipping will make it cost even more but at least it looks nice!

Plastiderp
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-13-2013, 05:19 AM
every village has one

Get the pipes.

things are not as they appear to be.........

2009.5 LiquidRed/OnyxRed, Premium Package
e85 Surprise Package
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-13-2013, 07:59 AM Thread Starter

Holy moly that OTR is pricy. I've pretty much decided against the tune. I talked to Mace and they can't do anything with the 5 speed so....Insulators and catback is winning.

09 PBM V6 (Traded)
Replaced with
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-13-2013, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlhungus View Post
Holy moly that OTR is pricy. I've pretty much decided against the tune. I talked to Mace and they can't do anything with the 5 speed so....Insulators and catback is winning.
I know a guy who put JUST a magnaflow x pipe on his 6 and that car woke up! Imagine running a full system.

BC is ditching AirCare so maybe I can go no cats

Stock, these cars can't breathe.

Plastiderp
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-13-2013, 09:14 PM
V6 power

I read on a Australian Holden page that any thing bigger than 2 1/4 exaughst on our cars is to big... Unless you do headers and a tune.. Then 2.5 is fine.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2009 g8 ly7.
SHOW~window tint/blacked out trim/blacked out grills and arrow/LED turn signals/10000k hid low beams /LED Fogs / all LED interior lighting / 20" camaro rims polished

GO~Magnaflow X Pipe / flowmaster 40s / k&n CAI / Iridium plugs / hood scoop mod

Coming this spring~ modified H&R springs / MM carbon spoiler / MACE cam & Tune / shorty headers
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-15-2013, 01:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 09 G8 View Post
I read on a Australian Holden page that any thing bigger than 2 1/4 exaughst on our cars is to big... Unless you do headers and a tune.. Then 2.5 is fine.
Headers? Sure!

Tune is a biatch...

Plastiderp
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-15-2013, 04:42 AM
V6 power

Luckily I found a shop in the stl that will dyno and tune for $500... Still $$$ but I guess it would be worth it.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2009 g8 ly7.
SHOW~window tint/blacked out trim/blacked out grills and arrow/LED turn signals/10000k hid low beams /LED Fogs / all LED interior lighting / 20" camaro rims polished

GO~Magnaflow X Pipe / flowmaster 40s / k&n CAI / Iridium plugs / hood scoop mod

Coming this spring~ modified H&R springs / MM carbon spoiler / MACE cam & Tune / shorty headers
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-15-2013, 08:17 PM Thread Starter

Well I'm going to order the insulators tonight. Test fitting Solo V8 catbacks and HFCs in a couple of weeks. Excitement is rising....Giggidy...

09 PBM V6 (Traded)
Replaced with
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page