Strange A/C issue - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-24-2016, 12:42 AM Thread Starter

Strange A/C issue

I finished up my work week Thursday afternoon,and I got paid the same day. NICE paycheck too. I was going to put the O/T towards some new tires for my wife's G8.

I had just gotten home,and was outside with our Corgi. My cellphone rings,and it is my wife who tells me the air in her car is not working at all. She was not amused,and neither was I. It had been over a year since we had a mechanical issue,but there have been quite a few with this car.

Before she could even get out of the car we were both dead set on getting rid of the thing,and her just getting an appliance to drive and not have to worry about being particular or anything. I mean we were MAD. Everytime I get a good check something happens with a car,or the house. Usually the furnace or central air.

I tinkered with all the controls,and opened up the hood and took a look and listened. Everything looked and sounded ok. Couldn't get anything but hot air to come out of the vents. We have had the actuator groan behind the radio for a long time. My wife had somehow never noticed it though! I THOUGHT it might be the actuator not working right since we had the same issue with her old Grand Prix. Another time with the same Grand Prix the air or controls stopped working. I got mad and slapped the side of the controls,and the air started working like a charm again.

I guess at some point I just got aggravated at the whole situation. I was hot and tired,and agitated. It just came over me to rev the crap out of the engine due to my frustration over something being wrong seemingly all the time,and with the G8 in general. I had never heard the Spectre intake with the hood open. It sounded real nice so I gave her another rev or two.

After all that the air started working again. I turned the car and the controls off and on several times,and it worked. My wife drove the car to work today,and it was fine.

Uh,what in the world? Any ideas? I know things don't fix themselves,but the a/c started working again after the redneck tune-up.

2009 Liquid Red GT
GXP Mufflers
Spectre CAI
Camaro 20s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-24-2016, 05:06 AM

It sounds like a vacuum problem to me, but I have no idea how to trouble shoot it. Maybe GOPHERIT can help you out.

09 WH GT
Sport/Premium
Onyx/Red
Rotofab CAI
Cortex 93 tune
20% tint

I just wanted one.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-26-2016, 03:11 PM

Actuator going bad and a little extra strength on the vacuum un-stuck it?

Gone but not forgotten: 2009 Pontiac G8 GT, White Hot, Premium, Sport. Tune is "Down Under" by Men At Work.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-26-2016, 04:56 PM

Kinda tough to T/S the A/C, when technically there's currently nothing wrong. Also, I don't understand this vacuum thing being talked about. I've never read anything about *vacuum* being part of this system. I know there are several things that would prevent the A/C from being commanded to make cold air. If all the indications displayed on the HVAC screen say that cold air output should be happening (but isn't), you would hope that there was some other type of information or action happening, to account for the hot air only condition. Such as after about a 5 to 10 min A/C on condition has taken place, you should have a very warm to hot high pressure line, and a cold to very cold low pressure line (as well as both fans at the radiator spinning away). If this is found to be true, then one would think that the mix valve failed to move the deflector door to the cold air position. That action blocks off the heater core (to prevent hot engine coolant temp from entering the cabin), and allows the cabin fan to force either recirc or outside air across the evaporator.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-26-2016, 05:21 PM

I suspect that these cars lose their refrigerant charge over time and the compressor weakens. The combo makes it difficult for the compressor to build enough pressure to turn on the fans. However, this might not be the case here. Usually it will cool down when driving at a reasonable speed.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-27-2016, 10:04 PM Thread Starter

I appreciate all the replies and help. This board is awesome. I jumped on here real quick (I have got to get in bed) to say that the same thing happened to my wife again at lunch. It had worked fine since the initial problem,but it wouldn't blow cold air again when she got back in her car after lunch.

She gave the throttle a pretty good blip,and things were fine again. It worked coming home also.

We have some weird crap happen to us.

2009 Liquid Red GT
GXP Mufflers
Spectre CAI
Camaro 20s
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-28-2016, 06:15 PM

Reviewing the pictures with the damage to your car, I can't tell if any of that damage reached your A/c system. If it did, what items did they have to changeout ? If it survived intact, did it operate correctly for an extended period of time ? As an example--- If the system pressure switch is getting lost (as in reporting a psi near zero, or a psi above 428), the compressor will not be commanded to make any cold air (for system protection). Maybe the vibration from giving the engine a rev job or 2, causes that psi sensor (to see the light of day so to speak), and send back the actual system pressure it sees at that time. Which would then would allow the compressor to make cold air. Maybe you could look at that sensor to verify the security of its connector, as well as maybe removing and reconnecting it a couple of times to eliminate any chance of pin/socket surface corrosion. If you suspect that *it* might be failing/acting up, the P/N listed is 13502759 for about $36
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-07-2016, 11:53 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOPHERIT View Post
Reviewing the pictures with the damage to your car, I can't tell if any of that damage reached your A/c system. If it did, what items did they have to changeout ? If it survived intact, did it operate correctly for an extended period of time ? As an example--- If the system pressure switch is getting lost (as in reporting a psi near zero, or a psi above 428), the compressor will not be commanded to make any cold air (for system protection). Maybe the vibration from giving the engine a rev job or 2, causes that psi sensor (to see the light of day so to speak), and send back the actual system pressure it sees at that time. Which would then would allow the compressor to make cold air. Maybe you could look at that sensor to verify the security of its connector, as well as maybe removing and reconnecting it a couple of times to eliminate any chance of pin/socket surface corrosion. If you suspect that *it* might be failing/acting up, the P/N listed is 13502759 for about $36
I had wondered if the wreck had damaged the a/c system,or the clowns at the body shop messed it up somehow. I thought it might have developed a slow leak as a result of either one. It has been almost 6 months since the wreck,and 4 months since the repair was finished.

My wife had a Sunbird when we were dating. After she got her Grand Prix GTP I kept it for a daily driver and nasty weather car. We hit a deer in it one night,and trashed the front end. It took quite a while to find a hood and front fascia with the pop up headlights. My Dad and I put the new front end on,and pulled out the damage with chains and come alongs lol. That seems like a lot of work for an old Sunbird,but that car was unbelievably reliable. Got almost 20 years and 180k miles out of it. I said if it standed us anywhere I would quit driving it,and it finally did.

We took my Formula out one afternoon that same year,and it came up a nasty storm. We went back and got the Sunbird,but the air quit working after being fine the previous day. This was several months after the wreck. Turns out one of the hoses had a small leak. I thought about this when the G8 starting having a/c troubles.

I have not looked at the connector yet,but on the rain forest site is only like 9 bucks. No more issues with the A/C! So strange,but I know it will mess up again. I really do appreciate the help and replies!

2009 Liquid Red GT
GXP Mufflers
Spectre CAI
Camaro 20s
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-08-2016, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOPHERIT View Post
Also, I don't understand this vacuum thing being talked about. I've never read anything about *vacuum* being part of this system.
Sorry, that was a senior moment on my part. Back in the old days, when cars were powered by small dinosaurs on treadmills, the actuators were typically run by engine vacuum. (The dinosaur would suck on a tube whenever vacuum was required.)

Gone but not forgotten: 2009 Pontiac G8 GT, White Hot, Premium, Sport. Tune is "Down Under" by Men At Work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page