American racing headers and borla combo? - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-08-2016, 10:33 AM Thread Starter

American racing headers and borla combo?

Hey guys I was wondering if anyone knows anyone or has a American racing headers and borla exhaust setup. The reason I am looking into this is my g8 came with the borla exhaust and was wondering if I can hook them up. One shop I spoke to said they can fabricate them so I was just wondering. Also they are charging about 1200 for install and tune but every retune after would be 350 for any mod upgrades. All in all I would be looking at 2600 what do you guys think. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-08-2016, 02:04 PM

$1200 is very high for the install and tune. We would be less than(right at) less than 1/2 of that.

I'm sure they can hook it up to the Borla, but with the quality of the ARH headers and exhaust I'd get their X that connects to your Borla axle backs......
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-08-2016, 02:09 PM Thread Starter

Yea there charging 500 for install and 700 for the tune.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-08-2016, 02:10 PM

Yes, very high for a header tune.....
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-08-2016, 02:11 PM Thread Starter

So what would be a good price for the install and what would be a good price for a dynotune
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-08-2016, 02:14 PM

Around $700 total would be a good number if including a FULL dyno and street tune for all of your modifications.

If they are custom fabbing your exhaust you can add some there. That's another reason I'd say get the ARH full exhaust and sell the Borla stuff to someone who can bolt it up to their stock manifolds!
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-08-2016, 05:15 PM Thread Starter

The full system I believe would be about 1600 and I don't know because the shop im talking about is comes highly recommended but another shop that is also good charges 650 for a dynotune and 550 for any other retune for mods after and I don't really know anymore shops in long island , new York. Lol what to do.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-08-2016, 07:28 PM

I'd go to a reputable mom and pop shop for the headers. Most perform that install at home. Especially if you go with the full length ARH set up. The borla is worth at least 500 to 700 used. You now have enough left over for hp tuner set up and tune from Pat G or Rick Crawford... and they will retune the car way way way less remotely from what I've read. I had my headers put on for 325.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-08-2016, 08:46 PM

Installing headers isn't a difficult task. I've done it with just the front end of the car jacked up and me under the car with another person helping. Total install time was 2 hours and that was long only because we took our time and meticulously made sure that the headers were not interfering with any other components. Plus we weren't using a lift so being on my back for the install wasn't fun but not difficult by any means. I'd say that the install price is high and a good tune from a reputable company shouldn't exceed $600 and that's a dyno tune. A street tune would be even less, mail order even more savings.

2009.5 SBM GT: Lots of show with some go.
The garage queen.

2008 IOM GT: Some go, working on the show.
The daily driver.

2004 Blazer Xtreme: Lots of go.
Sold and will be missed.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-08-2016, 09:13 PM

Did you buy the ARH headers yet?
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-08-2016, 09:49 PM

+ one for Pat or Rick. Pat gives you 3 retunes before he charges you again. It used to be unlimited but he changed that policy.

You don't have a friend of a friend, or family member Who knows a mechanic? Headers is pretty easy. If you do mid length headers, you won't have to push back the cats and mid muffler. I watched my buddy/mechanic do my mids and everything bolted right up. Took him an hour or so. I'm no mechanic and it looked easy.

Good luck finding someone. I know that cost of living in the NYC is high but I'd think you can get it done cheaper.

PBM GT W/SPORT PACK
GO:
Pat G tune
CIA: ORSSOM
EXHAUST: BADLANDZ CUT OUTS W/ X PIPE AND RESONATOR DELETE
KOOKS 1 7/8 mids and HFC's (coated)

SHOW:
PONTIAC EMBLEMS REMOVED. HOLDEN TRUNK LOGO ADDED.
TINT
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-09-2016, 07:31 AM Thread Starter

Na haven't purchased the headers just yet waiting till after the holidays. Yea I see what you guys are saying thanks for the input I'm going to see what I do because I'm pretty sure I may know someone who could do the install for less and maybe get a tune from Pat or Rick. Thanks for all the i put guys!
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-09-2016, 11:33 AM

Reason I ask is I have a set for sale with Swaintech White Lighting coating. Let me know if you're interested.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20160507_171358568.jpg (140.3 KB, 19 views)
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-09-2016, 11:36 AM

Yes. Install for less and then buy HPTuners and buy a tune from one of them. I have a good headers, intake tune myself!
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-09-2016, 11:53 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for letting me know man! I'll let you know if I would want them. But if you don't mind me asking any reason you selling them and price?
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-09-2016, 01:00 PM

Car is TT now, so no longer need. I have a VCM intake with all the panels too. As you know these headers aren't inexpensive and neither is the Swaintech coating. Simply put these are the best headers with the best coating that money can buy. Contact me if you would like to discuss further.
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-09-2016, 09:06 PM

As mentioned before the header install was pretty straight foward. Just get it high on jackstands. I did mine myself and went smooth. Get a Pat G tune and save some money. His trans tune alone is worth the cost.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page