best tuner in the market - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By JCMG8
  • 1 Post By mjones73

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-23-2017, 05:44 PM Thread Starter

best tuner in the market

i am trying to buy a tuner? which one is the best 1-DiabloSport Trinity T-1000 Programmer 2-DiabloSport inTune i2 Tuner 3-Superchips Flashpaq F5 Tuner 4-Superchips Cortex Programmer 5-TruXP Xtune+ Performance Tuner 6-SCT Livewire TS Performance Tuner & Monitor 7-SCT iTSX Wireless OBD-II Interface (49-State Legal) or something else you would recommend. i have airaid cai, performance spark plug with the wires, headers, cat back. and might install later on procharger d-1sc1 so which one is the best
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-23-2017, 05:59 PM

With your set up I'd go with Pat g or Rick Crawford. They offer retunes at reasonable rates though upfront start around 600-800 you'll need laptop and software. Hand held cortex for me. Superchips nailed the trans tune.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-23-2017, 06:32 PM

Yeah, you'd probably be better off to go ahead and buy a HP Tuner and let it read what you're running now and email Rick Crawford Racing or Pat Guerra, PatG, and let them update your tune and email it back to you.

09 WH GT
Sport/Premium
Onyx/Red
Rotofab CAI
Cortex 93 tune
20% tint

I just wanted one.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-23-2017, 06:46 PM

If you want the best, don't bother with the handhelds.

HPtuners pro
AEM 30-0333 canbus wideband
guerragroup dot com or Rick C

Giving either calibrator (not tuner) a HPT log with WB will be as good as it gets. I recommend the HPT Pro as if you do a procharger you will likely use a analog in for fuel pressure, otherwise, regular HPT will get the WB off the canbus with the 30-0333.

BTW, when Pat started my calibration in '14 he was the only tuner authorized to perform warranty tuning for Circle D Transmissions, a premier builder of performance 6L80 and 6L90 transmissions.

Wonder when superchips last updated their 6l80 tune? -Yes I started with a cortex.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kabbas1 View Post
i am trying to buy a tuner? which one is the best 1-DiabloSport Trinity T-1000 Programmer 2-DiabloSport inTune i2 Tuner 3-Superchips Flashpaq F5 Tuner 4-Superchips Cortex Programmer 5-TruXP Xtune+ Performance Tuner 6-SCT Livewire TS Performance Tuner & Monitor 7-SCT iTSX Wireless OBD-II Interface (49-State Legal) or something else you would recommend. i have airaid cai, performance spark plug with the wires, headers, cat back. and might install later on procharger d-1sc1 so which one is the best

9.5 RPM (Red Passion Metallic) Sport /Premium
ICOM 208H
"Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted."- unknown

All it takes is a little imagination, some mechanical ability, and neighbors who mind their own business. -red green

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-23-2017, 07:04 PM

Well... after reading the other posts, i guess I'm not needed here : )

I've been very happy with Pat.

Happy modding!

PBM GT W/SPORT PACK
GO:
Pat G tune
CIA: ORSSOM
EXHAUST: BADLANDZ CUT OUTS W/ X PIPE AND RESONATOR DELETE
KOOKS 1 7/8 mids and HFC's (coated)

SHOW:
PONTIAC EMBLEMS REMOVED. HOLDEN TRUNK LOGO ADDED.
TINT
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-23-2017, 07:24 PM Thread Starter

i dont live in USA so i think the best thing for me to buy hand held tuner
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-23-2017, 07:41 PM

Why does that matter?

Pretty sure the items I listed ship outside the USA. A handheld tuner is not the best. Not even close.

Quote:
Slizzo likes this.

9.5 RPM (Red Passion Metallic) Sport /Premium
ICOM 208H
"Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted."- unknown

All it takes is a little imagination, some mechanical ability, and neighbors who mind their own business. -red green

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-23-2017, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Yeah, it doesn't matter where you live. The tune file will be sent by email and you'll dl it into your hp tuner and then into the car. If you're really going with a procharger, you'll need a new tune anyway and if you don't have someone locally that can do it, you'll need a hpt for the tune. Might as well go that route now instead of spending $300-$400 on a canned tune.

09 WH GT
Sport/Premium
Onyx/Red
Rotofab CAI
Cortex 93 tune
20% tint

I just wanted one.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-23-2017, 10:40 PM

I would say this......... Get a local tuner to use wideband o2 for accurate WOT. Then go with Pat G or other, and have those Air/fuel MAF specs remaining as is.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] My 2009 - With the usual suspects. Incl. - Pat G.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-24-2017, 07:59 AM

Local tuning is best. Any honest tuner will tell you that he can tune the car more accurately being in the car. If they state otherwise,,,, good luck.

PBM G8 GXP M6-Self flex fuel tune,OBX LTs, Kooks A/B, Monster clutch, 3.45 gear,LSA S/C, cam, fuel system, stock block and stock heads, 12 PSI.
Best e.t 10.41/ best mph 138.7 Half Mile: 168.3 mph
2007 TBSS-Self tune, bolt ons [email protected], 1,560 D.A
1991 GMC Syclone- Self tune/catback [email protected], 4,200ft D.A
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0o...xsBDzFImcyBfeA
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-24-2017, 10:14 AM

Not to semi-threadjack but what if you're not very tech-savvy, don't have a laptop and won't ever upgrade beyond the very basic mods in my sig, will one of the hand-helds produce a noticeable performance boost that is worth even the $300-$400 they cost? If so, which one is the safest/simplest to use for a Neanderthal like me? Is a used one you can sometime buy on here OK?

2009 SRM: Cortex tuned, Spectre Intake, VMAX ported TB, Solo HFC's, X-pipe, Solo axle-back, a few bling pieces under the hood, Billet Custom catch can, body-color-matched Holden radiator cover, "SV6" wing spoiler, GXP diffuser, body-color-matched roof spoiler, "PONTIAC" 3rd brake light insert, Holden V8/6.0 Liter badges, Holden chrome trunk strip, VG shark fin, All-Fit Auto lower front lip, drilled & slotted rotors, painted calipers, Ultra-guage, custom-made "dead pedal".
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-24-2017, 02:35 PM
CCG8 Member

You have headers, you're out of hand held tuner territory. You can't disable the rear O2's and tune for headers with them. Definitely can't tune for a blower.
Slizzo likes this.

Matt Jones
2009 WH G8 GT Vararam/Kooks LT's/Corsa/BLP Probationary LL 219/223 .612/.615 112LSA/3.45s
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-31-2017, 09:18 AM

Just get a tuner with touchscreen those are the best in my mind. I have a touch screen one and a non touch screen and there is a world of a difference in what they can do.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-31-2017, 11:24 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by STAGEUP View Post
Local tuning is best. Any honest tuner will tell you that he can tune the car more accurately being in the car. If they state otherwise,,,, good luck.
Mr STAGEUP; You obviously have not seen the magic that can be performed by collecting good logging data and sending it to a tuner who really knows what he is doing. Just saying HPT and RCR or Pat G. And Street Tuning based on real driving logs is way better than a dyno, hands down.

Ken's 2009.1 Pontiac G8 GT Pacific Slate Metallic -Premium
Rotofab CAI, Kook's 1 3/4 LTs, HF Cats, 3" X-pipe, GXP Mufflers, PLX WB O2 & Aeroforce gauges
Rick C Manifold/TB/LS3 valves/Little Lunati/Tune, BTR Spring kit, many appearance mods
VMR Solar Rain V701 Staggered 19x9.5+50 & 19x8.5+35, Hankook V12 285/35 & 255/40
Stoptech, HPS, 12.27 sec 114.6 mph 1/4, 1.96 60ft

Put Jesus Christ in the drivers seat
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-01-2017, 07:21 AM

Not trying to hijack a thread, but since we're talking about tuning, if I were to decide on a HP Tuner, do you need the Pro version or will the regular version be all you need?

09 WH GT
Sport/Premium
Onyx/Red
Rotofab CAI
Cortex 93 tune
20% tint

I just wanted one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page