Do I have a DoD Delete? New G8 owner. - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By poor_red_neck

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-08-2017, 11:46 PM Thread Starter

Do I have a DoD Delete? New G8 owner.

Hey all, new G8 GT owner and new V8 owner as well. Have had the car for 2 months now. (LOVE IT!) Bought from a local dealership, all stock as far as I can tell but does have a Roto Fab intake, after doing some research. Just recently installed Solo Cat-back Exhaust.

Eats gas like crazy. Well, not that bad but enough to notice. Yes, I know V8s are gas guzzlers for the most part. Idles fine and just changed the spark plugs and wires. Looking at performance upgrades and don't wanna waste money on things I possible have or don't need. A buddy of mine thats familiar with LS motors recommended taking it to a Dyno shop.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-08-2017, 11:55 PM

You should hear the exhaust change tone if you had DOD
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-09-2017, 02:07 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by beto_juice View Post
You should hear the exhaust change tone if you had DOD
What do you mean exactly?

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-09-2017, 07:24 AM

Next time you drive it, start it in engineering mode and you can see when 4 or 8 cylinders are active. While starting it, be holding down the left wheel switch on the steering wheel. A new menu will pop up and scroll to afm and drive it with that up. You'll know if it already has dod delete or if it's turned off by a handheld tuner.

09 WH GT
Sport/Premium
Onyx/Red
Rotofab CAI
Cortex 93 tune
20% tint

I just wanted one.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-09-2017, 09:13 AM
CCG8 Member

Check the valley cover under the intake, if it's smooth, you have a DOD Delete/cam swap. If it looks like a brain, the DOD hardware is still in the car.

Borrowed the pic from another thread here... DOD is on the left, the bottom is towards the back of the motor.

it would probably be easiest to check for the plug at the back next to where the oil pressure sender screws in. If it's there like in the picture you have your answer.

You can disable DOD in the tune also but it doesn't remove the sometimes troublesome hardware.

Matt Jones
2009 WH G8 GT Vararam/Kooks LT's/Corsa/BLP Probationary LL 219/223 .612/.615 112LSA/3.45s
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 11:09 AM

Your gas mileage issue is probably due to that new right foot mod you just got... you know... that 6L V8 under that foot

Looking at the valley cover is the easiest tell tell sign that the DOD was physically removed. Just because the AFM doesn't engage doesn't mean it's not there. From what I have read, just turning off DOD doesn't completely remove the hazard of a stuck lifter, or wear issue causing internal damage.

Enjoy the car!! I'm in the market right now, and am getting nervous about timing. Lease is up in October, but can't afford 2 car payments (will be taking out a loan for the G8) for more than a couple months so I have to hope and pray that I find the car I want within a 2 month time period. I'm willing to drive 500 miles from NC so if anybody is thinking of selling.... :-)
matVEL777 likes this.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markmsf3 View Post
Next time you drive it, start it in engineering mode and you can see when 4 or 8 cylinders are active. While starting it, be holding down the left wheel switch on the steering wheel. A new menu will pop up and scroll to afm and drive it with that up. You'll know if it already has dod delete or if it's turned off by a handheld tuner.
This.

2009 G8 GXP, #715 0f 1829 (#18 of 23 as optioned), MSM, 6M, Sunroof, Onyx/Red

2009 G8 GXP, #807 of 1829 (#37 of 68 as optioned), MSM, 6A, Sunroof, Onyx

2016 Chevy SS, Mystic Green, roof, #555 of 2221

Forum junkie at the G8Board and "The G8 Forum That Shall Not Be Named"!
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matVEL777 View Post
You hear/feel when the 4 cylinders cut out and on.

2009 G8 GXP, #715 0f 1829 (#18 of 23 as optioned), MSM, 6M, Sunroof, Onyx/Red

2009 G8 GXP, #807 of 1829 (#37 of 68 as optioned), MSM, 6A, Sunroof, Onyx

2016 Chevy SS, Mystic Green, roof, #555 of 2221

Forum junkie at the G8Board and "The G8 Forum That Shall Not Be Named"!
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-24-2017, 01:22 PM

If you have any aftermarket exhaust when afm is activated YOU WILL KNOW. Trust me. Sounds like crap.

"Someday you'll leave this world behind, so live a life you will remember"
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-24-2017, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjones73 View Post
Check the valley cover under the intake, if it's smooth, you have a DOD Delete/cam swap. If it looks like a brain, the DOD hardware is still in the car.

Borrowed the pic from another thread here... DOD is on the left, the bottom is towards the back of the motor.

it would probably be easiest to check for the plug at the back next to where the oil pressure sender screws in. If it's there like in the picture you have your answer.

You can disable DOD in the tune also but it doesn't remove the sometimes troublesome hardware.
Are you saying look for a cap like the red one that is on the smooth valley cover in the picture? I have had my car for about 6 weeks and have not felt or heard anything that would make me think I have DOD. The previous owner had installed a complete Kooks exhaust (except stock mufflers) and I'm hoping maybe they did a complete removal of DOD. When I checked the engineering mode it did say DOD was on though. Could the computer still read that DOD was on even if the internals were removed and replaced with non DOD lifters?
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-24-2017, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvoak View Post
Are you saying look for a cap like the red one that is on the smooth valley cover in the picture? I have had my car for about 6 weeks and have not felt or heard anything that would make me think I have DOD. The previous owner had installed a complete Kooks exhaust (except stock mufflers) and I'm hoping maybe they did a complete removal of DOD. When I checked the engineering mode it did say DOD was on though. Could the computer still read that DOD was on even if the internals were removed and replaced with non DOD lifters?
Mine still says dod is active in engineering mode, has been removed and tuned for 4-5yrs now. There's an electrical connector(I think 3 or 4 pin) in between firewall and engine block/cyl head for dod that should be disconnected if it's disabled. You can check that

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-28-2017, 08:43 AM
CCG8 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvoak View Post
The DOD cover is on the left, if you have that black electrical connect and unsmooth panel, the DOD hardware is still in the motor.

Engineering mode will show all active, as in all 8 cylinders are firing, under normal behavior. If it doesn't switch all during normal driving there then it's at least disabled in the tune.

Matt Jones
2009 WH G8 GT Vararam/Kooks LT's/Corsa/BLP Probationary LL 219/223 .612/.615 112LSA/3.45s
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-03-2017, 10:07 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by matVEL777 View Post
If you've got Solo axle-backs just go for a drive on the highway and set the cruise. At any point while on a flat or slightly downhill you should hear the exhaust note change from a mid-bass tone to a really deep one. Trust me it's noticeable. especially if the windows are up. Sounds like a damn semi.

That or engineering mode like the others have said.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page