Nervous about buying a high-ish mileage G8... Another DOD Thread. - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By G8GTLVR

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 11:17 AM Thread Starter

Nervous about buying a high-ish mileage G8... Another DOD Thread.

Hi All,

I'm beginning to look for a G8. My timing has to be perfect as my current lease is up in October, and I can't afford 2 car payments for more than 2 to 3 months (I will be getting a loan for the G8).
This means more than likely driving upto 500 miles to find the "perfect" car. I know what to look for, what are expensive fixes and what are cheap easy DIY fixes.

Of course, the one thing that has my nerves going crazy is how to be a fortune teller and know whethere DOD lifters have started chewing themselves or the cam up.

Is there a definitive, tried and true way to know whether the "tick" is a failed DOD lifter or just normal lifter tick? Should there be ANY lifter tick on an otherwise healthy engine with 75K-100K miles? Being that they stock lifters are hydraulic there probably shouldn't be much at all right? But I have read that their own car has some tick.

I could pull the dip stick and hope to (not)_see metal shavings on the dip stick.. that would be a clear indicator that the cam or lifter is starting to get chewed up.

I'm just looking for a way to try and know for sure, as best as possible.

I'm still debating on whether to get the car a month or two early before my lease is up, and attempt doing the DOD delete myself. Pulling the heads off doesn't scare me, and having a DD while working on it will make it alot more relaxed knowing I have a way of getting to work.

Any tips for a finger nail biting nervous wreck?
Oh, and if you plan on selling your G8 this summer please feel free to throw me a line
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 04:29 PM

Garage
Checking the dipstick won't show if there are metal shavings in the engine; the stick is not magnetic. But the condition of the oil can tell you if the car had regular oil changes.

Any LS engine will have a small amount of sewing machine sound but for the most part will be quiet. On a good running stock G8 engine, you shouldn't be able to hear any single outstanding ticking. If you do hear a lifter that is failing, it will be LOUD and quite obvious and be more than just a ticking.

An indicator of possible future lifter failure is a loud tapping/ticking noise for 3 to 5 seconds right at startup and then goes away. But that is many times intermitent and even if the car does that time to time, the lifters may never fail.

What I think is most important when looking for a good G8 is to find one that looks like it was taken care of. Is it clean inside? Is the interior plastic in good shape? Are the seats and carpet in good condition? Is the engine compartment relatively clean? Is the paint in good condition? Has it been modified and if so, were the modifications in good taste?

Final advice. Don't worry too much about the lifters. Reading the G8 forums can make it seem like all G8's with DoD are time bombs waiting to go off. They are not. The G8 is one of the best built, most reliable, good looking cars that GM ever made. Definitely the best Pontiac ever made. And has one of the best engines ever designed.
turboman93 and IZRED like this.

2009 G8 GT
2002 Corvette Z06
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 08:47 PM

What he said ^^^ lol. Good luck with your search. It took 9 months for me to find mine. Well worth the wait

PBM GT W/SPORT PACK
GO:
Pat G tune
CIA: ORSSOM
EXHAUST: BADLANDZ CUT OUTS W/ X PIPE AND RESONATOR DELETE
KOOKS 1 7/8 mids and HFC's (coated)

SHOW:
PONTIAC EMBLEMS REMOVED. HOLDEN TRUNK LOGO ADDED.
TINT

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 08:55 PM

I have to say G8GTLVR's post nailed it.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 10:07 PM

Great cars there resale is dropping due to the recent 20% discounts offered on the New Chevy SS ... infact I just traded my GXP on a 2015 SS and got a Great Deal ...Your timing couldn't be better ... you might want to consider a 2014 SS in your search.... saw a hi mile one in Houston for $23,000:00 ??? I think it was ...

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]...Live Fast...It Won't Last....
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-22-2017, 05:18 AM
every village has one

Might plan on spending a bit more initially for the right car rather than having to put money into a "bargain". Buying a used car is buying what's left.

things are not as they appear to be.........

2009.5 LiquidRed/OnyxRed, Premium Package
e85 Surprise Package
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-22-2017, 09:20 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by missan nissan View Post
Great cars there resale is dropping due to the recent 20% discounts offered on the New Chevy SS ... infact I just traded my GXP on a 2015 SS and got a Great Deal ...Your timing couldn't be better ... you might want to consider a 2014 SS in your search.... saw a hi mile one in Houston for $23,000:00 ??? I think it was ...
Wow! If I could find a 2014 SS for 23,000 I'd jump all over it. Just getting a 5 year newer car would be worth it. I have to say though, I like the look of the G8 ALOT more than the SS. The SS just looks like a slightly beefier Impala... Maybe that's what GM was going for, making it a sleeper looking car. Its definitely not ugly, but I have a hard time even pointing one out because my eyes aren't drawn to it like it is a G8. I can spot a G8 out of the corner of my eye doing 75 down the freeway. Stopped at a stoplight 2 cars over I almost missed a SS because it looked so much like an impala.

I think the wife would be happier with a 2014 compared to a 2008 or 2009 just from a longevity outlook. I will surely like the "proper" LS3 under the hood too
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-22-2017, 09:30 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by G8GTLVR View Post
Checking the dipstick won't show if there are metal shavings in the engine; the stick is not magnetic. But the condition of the oil can tell you if the car had regular oil changes.

Any LS engine will have a small amount of sewing machine sound but for the most part will be quiet. On a good running stock G8 engine, you shouldn't be able to hear any single outstanding ticking. If you do hear a lifter that is failing, it will be LOUD and quite obvious and be more than just a ticking.

An indicator of possible future lifter failure is a loud tapping/ticking noise for 3 to 5 seconds right at startup and then goes away. But that is many times intermitent and even if the car does that time to time, the lifters may never fail.

What I think is most important when looking for a good G8 is to find one that looks like it was taken care of. Is it clean inside? Is the interior plastic in good shape? Are the seats and carpet in good condition? Is the engine compartment relatively clean? Is the paint in good condition? Has it been modified and if so, were the modifications in good taste?

Final advice. Don't worry too much about the lifters. Reading the G8 forums can make it seem like all G8's with DoD are time bombs waiting to go off. They are not. The G8 is one of the best built, most reliable, good looking cars that GM ever made. Definitely the best Pontiac ever made. And has one of the best engines ever designed.

Thank you, this helps alot!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-30-2017, 06:01 PM

Garage
Good luck OP

2009.1 ZEPCOM MGM G8 GT
Kooks LT's, SOLO HFC & Mach Unbalanced with J-pipes, SLP Tips.
Livernois tune, VCM, FE3's, full Holden blue gauges conversion, iphone on display. Daily Driver FTW
The ZEPCOM G8 was SOLO's test mule
www.youtube.com/zepcom

Bought 3/30/2009, retired 7/18/2017 at 136k miles, still strong. Been a great ride, she will be missed!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page