Throttle body question - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Jasonaddis72
  • 1 Post By pir4te

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-12-2017, 03:13 PM Thread Starter

Throttle body question

So I just picked up a GT this weekend and have a question about throttle bodies.

I know the car has been owned by enthusiast, it has a CAI, Solo axel J pipes, CTS V brembos, and Camaro 20s and it was debadged.

I took the CAI off the throttle body and used my mircometer to measure the inside diameter and found it read 95.9 mm. Is this a stock TB or an after market piece?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-12-2017, 03:31 PM
Naturally as-pirated

Garage
Throttle body question

The blade diameter should be 90mm.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-12-2017, 03:36 PM

Garage
Send a picture. It's tough to say. The minimum diameter of an LS2/LS3 TB is 90mm.

There's a part number stamped on there somewhere, too. You can use it for reference. An after market TB would be reasonably easy to identify.

'09 PSM G8 GT - OPG Intake, DOD-Delete w/ Stage 1C 218/229 .600 Lift 117.5LSA, Kooks 1 7/8 Mids, Solo Axle-Back w/ X-Pipe, SuperPro Bushings (Front and Rear). BMR Sway Bars (Red)
Power: 400HP/392TQ

"If you want to criticize someone else's work, be sure that your own is in order first."

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-12-2017, 03:40 PM
Naturally as-pirated

Garage
Throttle body question

What I meant was that the cross sectional area of the outer venturi is likely around 96mm, the TB size is measured by the blade diameter.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-12-2017, 07:07 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pir4te View Post
What I meant was that the cross sectional area of the outer venturi is likely around 96mm, the TB size is measured by the blade diameter.

Thanks for the explanation. This is my first V8, so I'm still trying to sort out what has been done.

The pull of the V8 is constantly rewarding. This car puts a smile on my face every time and the laughter from my kids will make selling my M3 worth it.

pir4te likes this.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-14-2017, 07:32 AM

Have fun modding the G8 it is a blast once you start.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]K&N CAI, Pypes headers, Solo HFC's,Solo axle backs, Custom tune, FE3 Struts & Shocks, White line bushings & bearings, Rear Cradle inserts, Moog end links.Little lunati cam,SLP 25 %UDP, AC tensioner upgrade.15% tint.12" sub woofer with amp.Future upgrade Power slot rotors & posi quiet pads.

V6 Spectre CAI, Original Overkill tune,FE3 Struts & Shocks, White line bushings & bearings, BMR Rear Cradle inserts, Moog end links.12" sub woofer with amp.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-14-2017, 07:44 AM Thread Starter

The car has a good baseline with the prexisting mods.
There lots of things I want to do, but it will all be a time issue.

I'd love to go LSA, CTSv2 front calipers, finish de caroming the car. Lowering springs....But first the kids and house get priority.

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-14-2017, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonaddis72 View Post
The car has a good baseline with the prexisting mods.
There lots of things I want to do, but it will all be a time issue.

I'd love to go LSA, CTSv2 front calipers, finish de caroming the car. Lowering springs....But first the kids and house get priority.

The kids & house play second fiddle to this car. Just kidding but you do not have to spend a lot to do some modest modes to this car.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]K&N CAI, Pypes headers, Solo HFC's,Solo axle backs, Custom tune, FE3 Struts & Shocks, White line bushings & bearings, Rear Cradle inserts, Moog end links.Little lunati cam,SLP 25 %UDP, AC tensioner upgrade.15% tint.12" sub woofer with amp.Future upgrade Power slot rotors & posi quiet pads.

V6 Spectre CAI, Original Overkill tune,FE3 Struts & Shocks, White line bushings & bearings, BMR Rear Cradle inserts, Moog end links.12" sub woofer with amp.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-14-2017, 08:25 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by norton13 View Post
The kids & house play second fiddle to this car. Just kidding but you do not have to spend a lot to do some modest modes.

I've seen that. The after market is much easier than the BMW after market.

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-14-2017, 08:36 AM

A lot cheaper with many after market parts to play with.

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-14-2017, 09:16 AM

Garage
It can easily get expensive....

'09 PSM G8 GT - OPG Intake, DOD-Delete w/ Stage 1C 218/229 .600 Lift 117.5LSA, Kooks 1 7/8 Mids, Solo Axle-Back w/ X-Pipe, SuperPro Bushings (Front and Rear). BMR Sway Bars (Red)
Power: 400HP/392TQ

"If you want to criticize someone else's work, be sure that your own is in order first."

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-14-2017, 04:37 PM
Naturally as-pirated

Garage
Yeah the prices snake oil scoundrels gouge Bimmer owners is, well indicative of the price owners pay for Bimmers!
I'm into tuning, specifically resonance design of headers, induction and exhaust. For years went through SS aftermarket with brand lore and recommendation before I fabbed or modified my own gear. So I know what it costs to design, source and mandrel bend steel pipes.
Take exhaust catback, the least expensive most basic all noise no performance component, best example of price vs ego: GM aftermarket will wear being gouged up to say $3000 if the company has good marketing and wholesale margin that fitters back it too. Same component and positioning in Euro afterworld costs $7200... for magic bent steel pipes.
In essence a suitably fancy (400 HP ) exhaust and muffler costs more than a new compact car!
Jasonaddis72 likes this.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-14-2017, 04:40 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Yeah the prices snake oil scoundrels gouge Bimmer owners is, well indicative of the price owners pay for Bimmers!
I'm into tuning, specifically resonance design of headers, induction and exhaust. For years went through SS aftermarket with brand lore and recommendation before I fabbed or modified my own gear. So I know what it costs to design, source and mandrel bend steel pipes.
Take exhaust catback, the least expensive most basic all noise no performance component, best example of price vs ego: GM aftermarket will wear being gouged up to say $3000 if the company has good marketing and wholesale margin that fitters back it too. Same component and positioning in Euro afterworld costs $7200... for magic bent steel pipes.
In essence a suitably fancy (400 HP ) exhaust and muffler costs more than a new compact car!

There are some amazing sounding pieces on the E46 and E9x M cars but hot damn, I'm not spending over 4000 for an exhaust.

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-14-2017, 04:54 PM
Naturally as-pirated

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonaddis72 View Post
There are some amazing sounding pieces on the E46 and E9x M cars but hot damn, I'm not spending over 4000 for an exhaust.

I have spent that and more on headers (designed and built with jigs from scratch) because on our cars that part of the exhaust can actually be a significant performance enhancement (180 crossover / PWTB) before the cats. But seriously, paying $5k-$8k to have some familiar catback like this fitted:

Nuts! All ego racing, sub 400 HP. To me is like buying a coffee on piazza in Rome.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-15-2017, 12:07 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
I have spent that and more on headers (designed and built with jigs from scratch) because on our cars that part of the exhaust can actually be a significant performance enhancement (180 crossover / PWTB) before the cats. But seriously, paying $5k-$8k to have some familiar catback like this fitted:

Nuts! All ego racing, sub 400 HP. To me is like buying a coffee on piazza in Rome.

For me when it comes to 5 large I better be seeing some serious HP and torque gains lol.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page