airbag fault, car doesn't start, contact dealer msg. Help please - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By GOPHERIT

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-21-2017, 10:27 AM Thread Starter

airbag fault, car doesn't start, contact dealer msg. Help please

About a month ago I hit a pothole on the interstate. Since then, I have been getting different error messages randomly. Starts with the airbag fault message. When this occurs, my blinkers do not work. This error usually appears every other day during my short 5 mile commute to work. Sometimes I receive the airbag error along with the contact dealer message. My speedometer/rpm needles get stuck (It will say I'm going 35 when I really going 70 on interstate) this will stick for 4-8 seconds until it goes back to the speed I am actually driving at. The radio/AC will cut out briefly, the center screen will flash an error. Another problem is my key fob won't work to lock/unlock or start the car. When this happens, I know it won't crank right away when I put the key in. I've searched high and low for this issue. I was thinking it could be a bad BCM but I've checked all the wiring and nothing is lose. This has been an annoying issue since all of these errors do not happen all the time. It is always random. Any help on this would be much appreciated. (66k miles)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-21-2017, 11:14 AM

First thing is get all the codes from PCM.BCM,ABS and SIR modules

2009.5 G8 GT Maverick Silver;Sport/Prem. SunRoof. Nav kit, Vararam,Holden badge kit,Kooks 1 7/8" Headers, VMS Tuned
2009 White Hot G8 GT;Onyx/Red,Sport/Prem,SunRoof, Nav kit,Holden badges,VMS Tuned,Kooks 1 7/8 Headers, Maggie TVS1900, Injection is Great but i love being Blown !
2001 Trans Am WS6 NBM/Camel, 6Spd 21K Miles
2001 G/P GT
Quote:
When The People Finally Lead,The Leaders Will Follow
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-21-2017, 12:06 PM

Garage
You must have hit a very big pothole VERY hard... Start as T-hawk says. You've got an electrical issue somewhere as evident by the random systems cutting out. The wiring harness wouldn't have seen enough shock to damage the actual wiring or plugs, however the fuse-boxes may have.

Maybe the fuse box got roughed up...

When I turned my car on to shift into neutral this past weekend (with the engine out), all sorts of messages came up because of all of the unplugged cables, including "Contact your dealer"

In short, you computer thinks there is something very wrong, and you really need to find where the problem is in that electrical system. It could be a serious danger to drive with such malfunctions.

'09 PSM G8 GT - OPG Intake, DOD-Delete w/ Stage 1C 218/229 .600 Lift 117.5LSA, Kooks 1 7/8 Mids, Solo Axle-Back w/ X-Pipe, SuperPro Bushings (Front and Rear). BMR Sway Bars (Red)
Power: 400HP/392TQ

"If you want to criticize someone else's work, be sure that your own is in order first."

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-21-2017, 12:57 PM Thread Starter

I am receiving multiple codes (20+) that are all stating miscommunication with the BCM (can provide codes if needed).
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-21-2017, 01:09 PM

Garage
Nah, forget providing the codes. You've found all the evidence that you need.

I would take a look at the main wiring harness connection and be sure the tab isn't pulled out. (Behind the fusebox passenger side under the hood).

Somewhere, a wire is loose, and it is either in the main connections or on the computer connections. Check everything back to the battery connections, and all around the fusebox.

Essentially, at any given point of time the computer thinks all sorts of sensors have gone dark... Yet it is unlikely for all of those plugs to have been damaged.

Man... you really hit that pothole hard didn't you.... I hate it when that happens...

'09 PSM G8 GT - OPG Intake, DOD-Delete w/ Stage 1C 218/229 .600 Lift 117.5LSA, Kooks 1 7/8 Mids, Solo Axle-Back w/ X-Pipe, SuperPro Bushings (Front and Rear). BMR Sway Bars (Red)
Power: 400HP/392TQ

"If you want to criticize someone else's work, be sure that your own is in order first."

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-21-2017, 03:42 PM

I like what I'm reading above from other posts. You need to verify that the incoming master power wire to that fuse box, is clean an tight. Also verify that the 2 hex screws (in view after removing the fuse box cover) are secure. I'm sure those screws each secure a master cable run connector that is routed from the fuse box, out to the various circuits. A bunch of those circuits talked about, appear to get their power from the FU7-50A fuse (buss #2) in that box. If there is any doubt about the condition of that fuse, you could swap it with one of the other fuses (with the same rating) in that box. Like FU4-50A buss #3 or FU5-50A buss #1. All easy to do, an no cost.

Granted the radio is powered of from the rear fuse panel. But since radio command functions have to come from that HVAC panel assembly (an it looses it way from time to time), I thinking that is why it takes the radio out of service at the same time.
Jova007200 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page