Question about GM vs aftermarket bumper after minor accident - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com
 6Likes
  • 3 Post By Josh Kinzey
  • 1 Post By BAS G8
  • 1 Post By mjones73
  • 1 Post By Jova007200

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-03-2017, 07:34 PM Thread Starter

Question about GM vs aftermarket bumper after minor accident

My wife had a little parking lot accident today in her G8 (in the parking lot at her work after running an errand for her boss) and gouged the rear bumper cover pretty good. She was really upset with herself.

She did some checking around online today, and I looked, too. OEM can be found for $750,and CarId has one for $250.

Yay or nay on the CarId part? $500 bucks is a big difference. She researched CarId and thought that their part MIGHT work just as well as OEM. (She's a car nut and not totally clueless about this sort of stuff.) She also thought about just paying out-of-pocket and not even filing on insurance.

Any thoughts on OEM v. CarId? And out-of-pocket v. insurance?

Also, has anyone had a similar repair? And if so, how much $$$? We already know who we want to do the work

2009 Liquid Red GT
GXP Mufflers
Spectre CAI
Camaro 20s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-03-2017, 07:58 PM Thread Starter

My wife says she wants to get an "appliance" to drive every day after this!

2009 Liquid Red GT
GXP Mufflers
Spectre CAI
Camaro 20s
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-03-2017, 08:26 PM

Did you take it to get an estimate? It might be cheaper to fix and blend the paint than get a whole new bumper.

2009.5 SBM GT: Lots of show with some go.
The garage queen.

2008 IOM GT: Some go, working on the show.
The daily driver.

2004 Blazer Xtreme: Lots of go.
Sold and will be missed.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-08-2017, 08:20 AM

I owned a body shop for a year or so back in 2012-2013. The OEM bumper is a much better choice. Any decent body guy can make the aftermarket bumper fit and look alright, but it will be under a fair amount of tension and most likely not have all the fasteners installed. That combination (tension, and less than all the bolts / clips) puts you in a position where a slight tap, something that normally wouldn't damage the bumper cover, will cause the cover to pop loose.

If you can swing it without too much financial pain, the OEM bumper is the way to go. When I was doing the body shop gig, I would rather have had a used bumper cover from a salvage yard that was an OE bumper cover as compared to the CarID cover.

Also, the damage you posted pictures of can probably be fixed without replacing the cover. I would explore that before jumping into replacing the cover.

Good luck!
AllenK, IZRED and BAS G8 like this.

2008 G8 GT - Grey / Black - stock on E85 & tune - 12.9 @ 106
2002 Trans-Am - Navy Blue Metallic / Black - M6 - Heads, Cam, N20 - 11.23 @ 127 - 525 RWHP
1991 Corvette - Black / Black - M6 - 383 - 11.37 @ 122 NA - No nitrous times - 415 RWHP NA - 550 RWHP N20
1989 Mustang LX - Gun Metal Grey / Black - M6 - Heads, cam, some other stuff - 12.57 @ 109
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-08-2017, 10:41 AM

^^^I worked in a wrecking yard for a time and sold replacement body panels/ bumpers.
One constant was calls from buyers complaining bolt holes and mounting points didn't line up and/or weren't even close as well as the quality of the parts.
Take into consideration this was over 20 years ago....
Josh Kinzey's advise is right on IMHO.
AllenK likes this.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-08-2017, 01:01 PM
CCG8 Member

Check car-part to see if you can find any good used ones.
AllenK likes this.

Matt Jones
2009 WH G8 GT Vararam/Kooks LT's/Corsa/BLP Probationary LL 219/223 .612/.615 112LSA/3.45s
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-08-2017, 06:13 PM

Garage
I second the motion for the OEM bumper. Bondo is not the way to go with plastic.

I suspect that the bumper that the body shop put on my car wasn't actually OEM as they said. It doesn't fit up right, and the gaps at the side panels are all wrong. Plus, it pops out of position. Either they missed the clips, or they didn't install OEM. The paint is also bubbling already at the corners, so I gotta take it back for that, too.

It's been about 7 months, but I gotta give them the opportunity to make it right..... again. >=(.

Do not accept your car from the shop until you are 100% satisfied with the job, the match, and the fit-up. You can bring it back, but that can be a hassle..
AllenK likes this.

'09 PSM G8 GT - OPG Intake, DOD-Delete w/ Stage 1C 218/229 .600 Lift 117.5LSA, Kooks 1 7/8 Mids, Solo Axle-Back w/ X-Pipe, SuperPro Bushings (Front and Rear). BMR Sway Bars (Red)
Power: 400HP/392TQ

"If you want to criticize someone else's work, be sure that your own is in order first."

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-02-2017, 04:41 PM Thread Starter

My wife and I drooped her car off on the 16th,and then started our vacation. We turned it in on our insurance,and the shop used a factory bumper. We also had a couple of dings and nicks fixed,and had the mirrors re-sprayed.

It really turned out nice. Just super happy the mirrors don't look like crap anymore. It's nice to look down the side and not see any dings.

I showed the shop owner where the previous body shop had screwed the paint with a buffer. He said one of his techs was a wizard with a buffer,and he was right. He knocked it out of the park. I cannot imagine how good it will look with a nice coat of wax or sealant.

Speaking of which,I asked how long to wait to wax the new paint. Guy said he didn't recommend waxing just washing. Okie-dokie. That was the only red flag from the whole deal.

2009 Liquid Red GT
GXP Mufflers
Spectre CAI
Camaro 20s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page