tune is important !!!! - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-14-2017, 03:13 AM Thread Starter

Unhappy tune is important !!!!

so i changed the cam and was waiting for the tuner to come back from his vacation so i took it for spin and that what happened

the question is would you guys recommend to re-build the engine or get a new one? the dameged parts are piston obv, exhausts valve and crankshaft. so what i mean is it ok to use the engine block or nah
Attached Images
File Type: jpg piston.jpg (95.5 KB, 134 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-14-2017, 07:26 AM

Garage
You need to get the piston out and take a look at the bore. If it is scratched you can have the block re-bored unless the gouges are really deep beyond the capability of resurfacing.

I'd take the block into a machine shop to have them take a look at the bore. If they can bore it, have it x-rayed and otherwise examined for integrity. Then you can choose some pistons to their recommended size and have them bore it to that size.

They'll polish the bearing journals and make sure they're aligned, and they'll top it off with a cam bearing installation. It'll be like a new block.

I'm curious, though.... Driving before a tune shouldn't damage the engine. Did you go full tilt with that pedal? Still, it is a mechanical system and those are some pretty rough strikes. What did you install for rockers and springs?

'09 PSM G8 GT - OPG Intake, DOD-Delete w/ Stage 1C 218/229 .600 Lift 117.5LSA, Kooks 1 7/8 Mids, Solo Axle-Back w/ X-Pipe, SuperPro Bushings (Front and Rear). BMR Sway Bars (Red)
Power: 400HP/392TQ

"If you want to criticize someone else's work, be sure that your own is in order first."

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-14-2017, 08:34 AM

Garage
Without a tune, the engine would have been running extremely lean, especially if he went WOT, which is what I'm guessing happened.

[SIGPIC]https://www.g8board.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic85730_2.gif[/SIGPIC]

Comp Cams 222/234 113 lsa, 1.8 roller rockers, 2800 stall, Kooks Mids, Borla Catback, Brembos, VMR V710's, Pedders XA Coilovers, Tuned it myself with HP Tuners

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-14-2017, 08:57 AM

Looks like a valve dropped to me. I suspect that the valvetrain was installed incorrectly.
warpig likes this.

PBM G8 GXP M6-Self flex fuel tune,OBX LTs, Kooks A/B, Monster clutch, 3.45 gear,LSA S/C, cam, fuel system, stock block and stock heads, 12 PSI.
Best e.t 10.41/ best mph 138.7 Half Mile: 168.3 mph
2007 TBSS-Self tune, bolt ons [email protected], 1,560 D.A
1991 GMC Syclone- Self tune/catback [email protected], 4,200ft D.A
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0o...xsBDzFImcyBfeA
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-14-2017, 09:57 AM

So it dropped the exhaust valve? Bring the piston down to Bottom Dead Center and inspect the cylinder wall. Dont worry about damage above where the top ring stops. Any damage below that is a problem, general rule of thumb is if you can feel the scratch or ding with your fingernail running across the wall its no good. If you have cylinder wall damage you have 3 options. 1) take it to a machine shop and have them machine it. 2) get a new/replacement engine. 3) if it is light damage, live life on the wild side. take some fine sand paper and gently work it until your nail no longer catchs on it.(not advised to do this, but at this point what do you have to loose) And most important you need to check your valvetrain and figure out why this happened. Stock valves couldnt hack it, bad piston to valve clearance, valve float due to the springs not being up to the task, timing being off, or valve/spring not being installed correctly. But best case right now is you are going to need a new piston/ connecting rod/ bearing/ rings, cylinder head and valve, and any other parts that were damaged. Look all the valves and pistons over good and check for additional damage.

09 MGM GXP A6 #1002
BTR Stage 2 LS3 Cam, Vigilante 2800 stall, Kooks LT, Corsa Catback, VCM OTR, GXP wheels widened 1.5" with 285 rears. 444rwhp, 398ftlbs, [email protected]
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-14-2017, 10:23 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfoster View Post
Without a tune, the engine would have been running extremely lean, especially if he went WOT, which is what I'm guessing happened.
That is true, but I can't see it causing a major piston strike due to a busted valve. If the motor ran without strikes at idle, then it suggests the springs either got into float, or were still open due to the lifter pumping up.

OP. Do tell us the specs of your Valve train build. Also, what size pushrods did you use, and what level of preload did you achieve on the lifters?

Many times, incorrect preload (too much) causes the valvetrain to be too stiff. The lifters pump up with oil and the valves fail to seat or even bounce thus causing a piston strike (in this case multiple).

Since it was one valve, it appears to be a tolerance issue with that cylinder but surely all of the other ones are now suspect.

'09 PSM G8 GT - OPG Intake, DOD-Delete w/ Stage 1C 218/229 .600 Lift 117.5LSA, Kooks 1 7/8 Mids, Solo Axle-Back w/ X-Pipe, SuperPro Bushings (Front and Rear). BMR Sway Bars (Red)
Power: 400HP/392TQ

"If you want to criticize someone else's work, be sure that your own is in order first."

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-14-2017, 11:28 AM
F1rehawk

Garage
I really feel bad for you man, good luck with everything. I thought you could not even start an engine with a new cam and no tune, guess I was wrong.

2009 SRM PONTIAC G8 GT
VCM OTR Cold Air Intake
Kooks Long Tube Headers / HF Cats
Solo Mach Shorty Catback
Continental Extreme Contact DWS6 Tires
Shadow Chrome Camaro SS Wheels
91 Octane Tune @ JLS Tuning Performance
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-14-2017, 11:47 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jova007200 View Post
That is true, but I can't see it causing a major piston strike due to a busted valve. If the motor ran without strikes at idle, then it suggests the springs either got into float, or were still open due to the lifter pumping up.

OP. Do tell us the specs of your Valve train build. Also, what size pushrods did you use, and what level of preload did you achieve on the lifters?

Many times, incorrect preload (too much) causes the valvetrain to be too stiff. The lifters pump up with oil and the valves fail to seat or even bounce thus causing a piston strike (in this case multiple).

Since it was one valve, it appears to be a tolerance issue with that cylinder but surely all of the other ones are now suspect.
I thought those were burn marks, looked at it on my phone the first time. Is that the actual valve sitting there?

Comp Cams 222/234 113 lsa, 1.8 roller rockers, 2800 stall, Kooks Mids, Borla Catback, Brembos, VMR V710's, Pedders XA Coilovers, Tuned it myself with HP Tuners
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-14-2017, 11:51 AM

Are those pistons stock? Thought we all had flattop pistons, or were those valve reliefs flycut? It it were me, if the bores were in any way questionable, I'd put my money towards a new LS3 block. $1700. I have to admit having 0.2L of envy.

I also agree that was not the tune.

2009 SRM G8 GT, GMPP CNC heads milled .035", RCR backcut intake valves, RCR Lunati 219/223 .612/.615 112+1, PSI 1511ML springs, Ti retainers, BTR 7.375 pushrods, Straub trunion bushings, RCR Airram intake, IWIS chain, Melling hi-vol hi-pressure oil pump, oil bypass blockoff, LS7 MAF in Spectre 4", Blox velocity stack, Rotofab, Kooks 1-3/4" LT's, Kooks catted X, Hooker Maxflow axlebacks. 426/383.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-14-2017, 11:56 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jova007200 View Post
You need to get the piston out and take a look at the bore. If it is scratched you can have the block re-bored unless the gouges are really deep beyond the capability of resurfacing.

I'd take the block into a machine shop to have them take a look at the bore. If they can bore it, have it x-rayed and otherwise examined for integrity. Then you can choose some pistons to their recommended size and have them bore it to that size.

They'll polish the bearing journals and make sure they're aligned, and they'll top it off with a cam bearing installation. It'll be like a new block.

I'm curious, though.... Driving before a tune shouldn't damage the engine. Did you go full tilt with that pedal? Still, it is a mechanical system and those are some pretty rough strikes. What did you install for rockers and springs?
if i am guessing the reason i would say because of the cam shaft being too large that it was hitting the piston or because of the valve open- close timing it was hitting the piston, not sure yet
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-14-2017, 11:57 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooker9110 View Post
So it dropped the exhaust valve? Bring the piston down to Bottom Dead Center and inspect the cylinder wall. Dont worry about damage above where the top ring stops. Any damage below that is a problem, general rule of thumb is if you can feel the scratch or ding with your fingernail running across the wall its no good. If you have cylinder wall damage you have 3 options. 1) take it to a machine shop and have them machine it. 2) get a new/replacement engine. 3) if it is light damage, live life on the wild side. take some fine sand paper and gently work it until your nail no longer catchs on it.(not advised to do this, but at this point what do you have to loose) And most important you need to check your valvetrain and figure out why this happened. Stock valves couldnt hack it, bad piston to valve clearance, valve float due to the springs not being up to the task, timing being off, or valve/spring not being installed correctly. But best case right now is you are going to need a new piston/ connecting rod/ bearing/ rings, cylinder head and valve, and any other parts that were damaged. Look all the valves and pistons over good and check for additional damage.

yup the exhaust valve was in the piston chamber
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-14-2017, 11:58 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfoster View Post
I thought those were burn marks, looked at it on my phone the first time. Is that the actual valve sitting there?
yeah lol
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-14-2017, 12:00 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgeorger View Post
Are those pistons stock? Thought we all had flattop pistons, or were those valve reliefs flycut? It it were me, if the bores were in any way questionable, I'd put my money towards a new LS3 block. $1700. I have to admit having 0.2L of envy.

I also agree that was not the tune.
its actually ls7 engine, yup ls7 swap it was running fine daily driven but i needed more power
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-14-2017, 12:01 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kabbas1 View Post
yeah lol
WOW I bet that made one hell of a racket!

post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-14-2017, 12:54 PM
CCG8 Member

Unfortunately nothing in the tune would have prevented that. What year LS7? Some of them were prone to drop exhaust valves.

Matt Jones
2009 WH G8 GT Vararam/Kooks LT's/Corsa/BLP Probationary LL 219/223 .612/.615 112LSA/3.45s
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-14-2017, 01:26 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjones73 View Post
unfortunately nothing in the tune would have prevented that. What year ls7? Some of them were prone to drop exhaust valves.
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-14-2017, 01:45 PM

LS7 is a very important piece of the puzzle here. LS7s have alot of problems with valve guides and dropping valves. This is a very common issue, and gm has a service bulletin out on it. Due some research and you will find alot of info, and get a better idea of the direction you need to be heading. But your cylinder wall inspection and how you are going to fix that still applies.

09 MGM GXP A6 #1002
BTR Stage 2 LS3 Cam, Vigilante 2800 stall, Kooks LT, Corsa Catback, VCM OTR, GXP wheels widened 1.5" with 285 rears. 444rwhp, 398ftlbs, [email protected]
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-15-2017, 07:59 AM

Oops.

2009 G8 GXP, #715 0f 1829 (#18 of 23 as optioned), MSM, 6M, Sunroof, Onyx/Red

2009 G8 GXP, #807 of 1829 (#37 of 68 as optioned), MSM, 6A, Sunroof, Onyx

2016 Chevy SS, Mystic Green, roof, #555 of 2221

Forum junkie at the G8Board and "The G8 Forum That Shall Not Be Named"!
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-15-2017, 01:07 PM
CCG8 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kabbas1 View Post
That year would be in the range, have the guides checked in the heads, it's believed the sodium filled guides are part of the problem.

Matt Jones
2009 WH G8 GT Vararam/Kooks LT's/Corsa/BLP Probationary LL 219/223 .612/.615 112LSA/3.45s
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-17-2017, 06:06 PM Thread Starter

after research i found out that yeah the reason wasn't the tuning it is a manufacture default the exhaust valve is weak on the ls7
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page