P0455 Immediately After Low Gas Indicator - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By StBlGT

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-13-2017, 10:21 PM Thread Starter

P0455 Immediately After Low Gas Indicator

Hi All - I just picked up an '09 metallic red G8 GT this past weekend. Yesterday the gas light indicator flashed on, and then within a minute the check engine light came on too. Since then I've filled up, and driven 20 or so miles and the light is still on (made sure to tight gas cap tight too).

I read up on the code and it sounds like our gas caps are pretty finicky... so I figured it wouldn't hurt to buy a new one (should be here tomorrow).

Any ideas though? Most of the threads I've read deal with check engine lights coming on randomly, but the fact that it came on within a minute of the low gas indicator seems to indicate that it was directly related. My tentative plan is to fill up whenever it hits 1/4 tank for the next few weeks and see if that keeps the check engine light away.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-14-2017, 08:23 AM

Garage
Well, it's either the gas cap or the evap solenoid since that code denotes a leak. Both of those parts are in the $15-20 range, so not expensive.

If shutting with three clicks doesn't work, replacing the gas cap is worth "throwing" at the problem. If the gas cap doesn't work that EVAP solenoid would be a worthy attempted fix.

Those would be the two most common leakers in the EVAP system... The Gas Cap is by far THE most common of the two on this car.

If neither of those works, you may have another problem worthy of a mechanic looking over. I don't think it goes that far, though.

'09 PSM G8 GT - OPG Intake, DOD-Delete w/ Stage 1C 218/229 .600 Lift 117.5LSA, Kooks 1 7/8 Mids, Solo Axle-Back w/ X-Pipe, SuperPro Bushings (Front and Rear). BMR Sway Bars (Red)
Power: 400HP/392TQ

"If you want to criticize someone else's work, be sure that your own is in order first."

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-14-2017, 03:54 PM

Garage
What color are the letters on your gas cap? The white letter caps are problematic. The ones with blue letters will solve your problem (if that is what is causing the CEL). I had a similar problem...new cap fixed it. 7 years later and still going strong.
Jova007200 likes this.

Current: 2009.5 SBM G8 GT, Premium Package, Sunroof, Pat G. ECM/TCM Tune, Roto-Fab 102mm CAI, LS7/LS3 MAF, Kooks 1 7/8" LT's, SOLO HFC's, SOLO Mach-Shorty Balanced Catback, SOLO 3.5" Tips, 19" Sport Package Wheels, GXP Steering Wheel, GXP Diffuser, Neondials, VG Sharkfin II, Debadged (Except Arrowheads), Hood-Vent Mod, Lower Grille Mod

Next: RCR Modified Intake Manifold, RCR Ported TB, Powerbond UDP, Suspension Upgrades

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-21-2018, 12:11 PM

I was throwing both codes and I have a newer Amazon gas cap (blue lettering). I already tried to tighten the cap multiple times (not tried lubing the cap though).

I was ready to order a new evap solenoid from Amazon and suddenly my CEL turned off. It had been on for about a week.

Odd thing is when I tried to erase the codes and reset the CEL using my OBDII code reader, it would erase the codes from the reader but my CEL would stay on.

Anyone have the CEL turn back off while getting the po455 large leak evap code? When I turn the car off, I could hear a bunch of clicks from the right/rear. I assume from the evap solenoid?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page