Need Help!! G8 first experience. - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By 345G8
  • 1 Post By APL111
  • 1 Post By J Wikoff

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-22-2018, 08:57 PM Thread Starter

Need Help!! G8 first experience.

Hello. I joined the forum because I need your assistance. I figured this would be the best place because people here actually OWN a G8. There is this guy selling his for 10k. I told him id give him 10 for the car. Due to me recieving money from a lawyers firm. I called them and they told me the ACTUAL final amount was 8100.... told the dude, was upset, but eventually worked out to 9600.

The car is a:
-2008 G8 GT
-Has Aftermarket heads
-"Dod delete" whatever that means
-Long tube headers
-75-175 shot of nitrous 2x bottles.
-K&N CAI
-Lowered about 1/2 inch from stock height
-has 134xxx M on the clock.
-Needs a lower control arm soon.
-straight piped no cats.

Dude bought it as a pace car? I think thats what he said. Basically he's had it since about 20k Miles. Ran it hard through all of his ownership.

NOW here is my questions to you higher ups. Ive read about the 6l80e and how eventually around 130k itll need a rebuild. How has y'alls held up? What is this Flare shift term i keep reading about? Has any of you had major problems with trannys? What are common things to look out for? What are signs that its a bad tranny/buy?
Guy told me some kind of tune is on the transmission... what would this be affecting? Told me off nitrous around 520hp. Has the 6.0 L76? (I think) ive never owned a GM product due to me always believing that they arent good products. Always seem to see stuff about the trans (4l60, 6l80e, 6l90) should i spend it on this car? Im 18 and this is probably the most money ive ever spent in one shot. I come from Jeeps, Fords, Mazdas. Etc. (this would be my first GM product)

(Also I test drove it used the manual mode and shifts feels a little delayed is this normal?)

Sent from my SM-J327T1 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-23-2018, 09:32 AM

DoD means "displacement on demand".....and in stock form the L76 drops 4 cylinders when specific engine operating parameters are met. About the tranny what you are describing sounds normal with the delay in shifting about the rebuild at a certain mileage I have no idea. I 'm new to the g8 as well, had mine almost a month now. Hope I could be of some help.
MobbinJeep likes this.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-23-2018, 03:37 PM

Dude bought it as a pace car? I think thats what he said. Basically he's had it since about 20k Miles. Ran it hard through all of his ownership.
So he has beat the [email protected] out of it. I personally would be very\, very careful about buying this.
MobbinJeep likes this.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-23-2018, 07:30 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by APL111 View Post
So he has beat the [email protected] out of it. I personally would be very\, very careful about buying this.
Yeah. Ive known him and the car for a while. He is the leader of one of our major car scenes here in co.

Sent from my SM-J327T1 using Tapatalk
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-31-2018, 09:55 AM

Garage
If you are able to, get every receipt and service record you can on the car including any documentation to support the claim of it being an actual "Pace Car". This could help you in your journey with this car. Also, have a reputable GM service shop do a service inspection on the car. Yes you will pay for this but it will give you a base line on what the car does and doesn't need, and possibly point out any real issues that may need to be addressed. Now, whether or not you have bought this car or not...... The G8 GT and GXP are not just any GM car. These cars (ladies) are highly sought after and very identifiable cars in the automotive world. And they are extremely worthy cars to customize, there really isn't anything you can't do. I too recently purchased my first G8 GT and I'll never look back! I found quickly that there is a very welcoming G8 community that are happy as can be in answering questions, technical write-ups, and some of the best car meets around (I plan to attend as many as I can).

Good luck, and I hope you enjoy the car as much as we all do.

"Do or do not, There is no try!"

2009 G8 GT
2004 Grand Prix GT2
2014 Cruze LT RS
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-31-2018, 11:38 AM

I've re-read a few times and I'm still confused. You said you'd pay 10,000, they said they want 8100, so you agreed on 9600?

I've got a house I'd like to sell you.
MGMGXP likes this.

2009 SRM GT - Premium, Sport, Sunroof - HSV triple gauges and trim, HSV Supersport Red/Black Steering Wheel, GXP rear sway bar, GXP Diffuser, Rotofab, SOLO Axlebacks, Magnaflow Cats, Red Hot shift knob, Autodim mirror, Removed intake cover, Chrome lug nut covers, Infinity door speakers, 10" DVC RF Sub, Switchbacks, Slotted rotors & Braided stainless brake hoses, Cortex tuner

Admin: www.pontiacbonnevilleclub.com
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-31-2018, 01:08 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Wikoff View Post
I've re-read a few times and I'm still confused. You said you'd pay 10,000, they said they want 8100, so you agreed on 9600?

I've got a house I'd like to sell you.
Seller was asking $10k. OP only got $8100 in his settlement from lawyers. They agreed to $9600.

2009.5 LR G8 GT
SHOW: spt/prem
, V8 badges
, Wheelskins, custom console lid, VG sharkfin, 20% tint, custom embroidery, GXP wheels.
GO: Roto-fab, Kooks LTs & H/F cats, Corsa, VMS.

371 rwhp 378 rwtq (dynojet)
Best 60ft. time: 2.01
Best 1/4 mile: 12.979 @ 108.79mph

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-31-2018, 01:35 PM

Get it looked over by a reputable mechanic.

The DOD delete isn't cheap to do. So he's thrown some money into this car.

Best of luck!

PBM GT W/SPORT PACK
GO:
Pat G tune
CIA: ORSSOM
EXHAUST: BADLANDZ CUT OUTS W/ X PIPE AND RESONATOR DELETE
KOOKS 1 7/8 mids and HFC's (coated)

SHOW:
PONTIAC EMBLEMS REMOVED. HOLDEN TRUNK LOGO ADDED.
TINT
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-31-2018, 08:41 PM

Seems like a pretty good deal.

I got my 09 G8 V6 at 119,000 miles for $8000.

PONTIAC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page