The day has come my friends. Now I need help - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com
 7Likes
  • 1 Post By BAS G8
  • 1 Post By move-over
  • 1 Post By Steve R
  • 1 Post By Billyboy17
  • 2 Post By Billyboy17
  • 1 Post By gmpontiacguy

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-28-2018, 02:13 PM Thread Starter

The day has come my friends. Now I need help

Well it finally happened. The thing that we all dread, the moment when your baby gets into an accident and the insurance company wants to total your baby. I was getting ready to leave my house for work and I was pulling out of the drive way looking at the appropriate way for oncoming traffic, its clear. I go to make the right hand turn out of my driveway and wham! Some lady in her jeep liberty was coming in reverse up the block to get a parking spot and she was doing about 35 - 40 in reverse. She hit the front end on the passenger side. I took photos for the insurance company. Now they want to total it and give me 11k. I don't know weather or not to fix it or should I get a new car because I want to keep it but its getting harder for me to find good quality parts.

What I want to know is should I keep it or let it go. If so to keep it, where can I find a good reliable aftermarket company that makes quality parts for it and if the new chevy SS is a good candidate for parts. If weather or not I can take parts form a chevy ss and bolt them up to my g8.

Thank you guys.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20180620_072932278_HDR.jpg (150.2 KB, 100 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20180620_072938454_HDR.jpg (150.4 KB, 97 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20180620_072947176_HDR.jpg (150.0 KB, 88 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-28-2018, 02:50 PM
CCG8 Member

That sucks..

No one really makes aftermarket body parts for these and the Chevy SS front end will not work (other then maybe the core support if you need one).

There's always people parting out cars and the GXP bumper is an option for the front. You're gonna need to figure out just how bad the damage is (is it just bolt on parts that need replacing or is the frame bent too?) and if 11k will cover buying it back and fixing it..

Did the airbags fire? That'll add a significant amount to fixing it also.

Matt Jones
2009 WH G8 GT Vararam/Kooks LT's/Corsa/BLP Probationary LL 219/223 .612/.615 112LSA/3.45s
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-28-2018, 03:41 PM Thread Starter

Air bags did not fire and what the body shop had said was that it looks like there wasn’t any frame damage.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-28-2018, 05:31 PM

man,sorry to see that! if it was me,move on to the next car. think of the time and headaches if you try to have this fixed,and the long term results. lotta g8s for sale.... just my opinion!
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-28-2018, 08:41 PM

^^^^Sadly I have to agree, its time to move on.
The damage looks cosmetic and there are parts out there but once they start digging deeper who know what they'll find.
I would try to bump up the $11K settlement, go on Auto Trader, Car Guru's and Craig's List and price out G8's like yours.
If they're going for more go for a larger settlement.
hexagod likes this.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-29-2018, 01:28 AM
out front & pulling away

I saw a video on youtube of a damaged G8 being fixed. both front fenders look good just a little damage where they attach to windshield pillars. Even both headlights are good. Seems to be hood, core support need replaced. Good luck either way.
skycrzy likes this.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2009 GT, WH, SPORT/PREM, W/SUNROOF, CARGO LINER, CUSTOM- FITTED SUNSHADE, SONY GPS. LED REAR LICENSE PLATE LIGHTS. STOCK ENGINE COVER REMOVED. FULL-SIZE FACTORY SPARE W/ PACE PERFORMANCE TIRE-CHANGE KIT, Diode dynamics SL1 led lowbeams, XPEL HEADLIGHT PROTECTORS, CALIFORNIA CUSTOM EXTREMEWEAVE CAR COVER, RACERAMP FLATSTOPPERS, REDLINE ARMREST COVER, LED REVERSE LIGHTS, LED FOGLIGHTS, NO PERFORMANCE MODS FOR NOW. MAYBE SOMEDAY I'LL JUST GET A 480HP CRATE MOTOR FROM GMPERFORMANCE.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-29-2018, 06:24 AM

Sad to read about your unfortunate experience and presume both parties were uninjured? Did the other individual have current automotive insurance? Regarding your question, considering how little incidentals tend to drastically increase collision repair costs, would accept the total option and purchase another G8 if you do so choose. Years ago, after an accident in the G8 with significantly less damage, the repair bill was well over $8,000 with the hood carrying the biggest price at slightly over $1500. However, there were hoods on eBay for a fraction of the cost and one included the hood scoops. Think you would do better looking for a salvaged G8 perhaps with a blown motor or damaged transmission and swapping parts between the two of them.

#NEVER GIVE UP
#AUDACITY OF HOPE

"Rather not run the risk of offending anyone, so let me just go ahead and offend someone". -PONY MAN

"When you write the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen". -UNKNOWN

post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-29-2018, 06:34 AM

Billyboy17 assuming you are in Brooklyn I am pritty sure I saw your car on east 24 bet w and v ? I used to live few blocks away. That looks like you can easily fix it withjust pannel replacement Buy it back and fix it
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-29-2018, 08:20 AM

I say buy it back in the settlement and part it out.. When I totaled my red GXP ,I bought it back for about 2300 ,sold the engine and trans for 3500 and after it was all said and done made a little over 6000 after storage fees and buy back .Takes some time but there is a great market for parts.
hexagod likes this.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-29-2018, 08:38 AM

11k is too low, unless it has pretty high miles.

2009 SRM GT - Premium, Sport, Sunroof - HSV triple gauges and trim, HSV Supersport Red/Black Steering Wheel, GXP rear sway bar, GXP Diffuser, Rotofab, SOLO Axlebacks, Magnaflow Cats, Red Hot shift knob, Autodim mirror, Removed intake cover, Chrome lug nut covers, Infinity door speakers, 10" DVC RF Sub, Switchbacks, Slotted rotors & Braided stainless brake hoses, Cortex tuner

Admin: www.pontiacbonnevilleclub.com
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-29-2018, 01:17 PM Thread Starter

Well its clocking a little bit over 150K miles
hexagod likes this.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-29-2018, 01:25 PM

Well, the total valuation offer seems sensible and does the vehicle hold any significant sentimental value? Three pictures pail in comparison to seeing the damage in person and suspect it's more significant than what is captured in the photos. Decisions. Decisions.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-29-2018, 01:57 PM

The big factor that's missing is what are they saying the buyback is? If it is stupid low versus stupid high then that can clear the decision up in a hurry. I think all of the responses above are assuming a reasonable buyback, but that isn't always the case.

2009 G8 GT - wife's daily
2008 Sky Redline - wife's old daily (for sale)
2014 Mini JCW - my daily
2005 Elise - weekend car
2017 FZ07 - sunny day commuter
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-29-2018, 02:12 PM Thread Starter

Ponyman

This car has been all over the place. It does carry a hell of a lot of sentimental value. I think thats whats making it so hard. But I think I might fix it and keep it in a safe place for a while.
GXP25 and hexagod like this.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-30-2018, 12:31 AM

So, what is the insurance company asking for a buy back amount. That is really the most important part of the equation.
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-24-2018, 02:37 PM

looks like its for sale at the auction probably did not want to bother with it

https://www.iaai.com/Vehicle?itemID=...oadRecent=True
hexagod likes this.
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-24-2018, 03:11 PM

noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo... she was too young/beautiful to die =[

Take the check and buy a GXP =D
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-25-2018, 08:02 AM

Lefthandutes.com
Might be time for a real mod!

2009 G8 GXP, #715 0f 1829 (#18 of 23 as optioned), MSM, 6M, Sunroof, Onyx/Red

2009 G8 GXP, #807 of 1829 (#37 of 68 as optioned), MSM, 6A, Sunroof, Onyx

2016 Chevy SS, Mystic Green, roof, #555 of 2221

Forum junkie at the G8Board and "The G8 Forum That Shall Not Be Named"!
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-26-2018, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmpontiacguy View Post
looks like its for sale at the auction probably did not want to bother with it

https://www.iaai.com/Vehicle?itemID=...oadRecent=True
Are we sure that's the same car? It looks a lot like it, but the OP said it had a bit over 150k, and this one has 120k. Also, no mention of rear damage the IAAI car has, and the right side marker was knocked out on the OP's car where as this one is still intact..... It is however in NY, so maybe it is???
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-27-2018, 04:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmpontiacguy View Post
looks like its for sale at the auction probably did not want to bother with it https://www.iaai.com/Vehicle?itemID=...oadRecent=True
It doesn't appear this is the same G8 mentioned here in the thread.

#NEVER GIVE UP
#AUDACITY OF HOPE

"Rather not run the risk of offending anyone, so let me just go ahead and offend someone". -PONY MAN

"When you write the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen". -UNKNOWN

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
accadent , aftermarket , information , parts , request

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page