• 1 Post By
  • 1 Post By Belo
  • 1 Post By Belo
  • 1 Post By Belo
  • 1 Post By J Wikoff
  • 1 Post By Jenson

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-23-2018, 11:37 AM Thread Starter

Question What Does Lifter Tick Sound Like?

Hey all, (08 G8 GT)

I've got a squeaking sound that kind of sounds like a slipping belt and it seems to go away when the temperature (external or engine bay) rises. I am wondering what the lifter tick sounds like? Initially I though this was a belt slipping but today it almost sounded like a tick. Do they sound similar? What are the warning signs of lifter tick? This sound comes and goes and I just fixed my hood release cable. I was in a hurry to get to work, so I didn't have a chance to pop my hood before I left. by the time I got to work, the noise was gone.

I've still got DoD and the stock cam so always paranoid about this. But the gas mileage is pretty good, so I don't want to do a delete. What can you tell me about this issue and it's symptoms?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-23-2018, 11:43 AM

Lifter tick will be a tick or tap every other engine rotation, per lifter with tick. On another car, I've had a lifter roller with a fair amount of galling on it that was simply a tick. No squeak.

A squeak is more likely to be a belt or idler/tensioner problem.

A bearing squeak from inside an engine frequently gets worse fast, so you wouldn't be left wondering about it for very long.
hexagod likes this.

2009 SRM GT - Premium, Sport, Sunroof - HSV triple gauges and trim, HSV Supersport Red/Black Steering Wheel, GXP rear sway bar, GXP Diffuser, Rotofab, SOLO Axlebacks, Magnaflow Cats, Red Hot shift knob, Autodim mirror, Removed intake cover, Chrome lug nut covers, Infinity door speakers, 10" DVC RF Sub, Switchbacks, Slotted rotors & Braided stainless brake hoses, Cortex tuner

Admin: www.pontiacbonnevilleclub.com
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-23-2018, 12:04 PM Thread Starter

would the tick be any different with temperature? This seems to only happen when it's cold out, which would obviously tend to indicate that it's the belt.. since the rubber gets softer as the temp rises, and it gets better grip when it's softer. I was just a little thrown off today because it seemed like the belt would only slip or chirp once per second, so it was rhythmic; usually belts make a consistent noise in my experience.

Also, how loud is the tick? Is it audible with the windows shut?

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-23-2018, 12:10 PM

take your oil cap off and see if the sound increases or stays the same. That's one of the tests for lifter tick,

you could also do what i did here: https://www.g8board.com/forums/5-v8-...eal-chirp.html

there's some other decent youtube videos on lifter tick out there
hexagod likes this.

2009.5 G8GT Premium OnyxRed Interior
corsa catback, vararam intake, cortex tune
custom audio, sharksfin, HIDs, LED Fogs, 20" MRR GT1's, Kayhan headunit
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-23-2018, 12:15 PM

Once a second doesn't jive with an internal engine part. Too slow. Tap from a lifter not being fully pumped up would be about 5 to 10 times a second at idle. A bad bearing would be more frequent than that.

AFM lifters, and some of the normal ones, have been known to tap at cold startup for a few seconds while they pump up. I got mine replaced under warranty for that. The AFM lifters were redesigned to address it. Mine could be heard inside if I was listening for it.
hexagod likes this.

2009 SRM GT - Premium, Sport, Sunroof - HSV triple gauges and trim, HSV Supersport Red/Black Steering Wheel, GXP rear sway bar, GXP Diffuser, Rotofab, SOLO Axlebacks, Magnaflow Cats, Red Hot shift knob, Autodim mirror, Removed intake cover, Chrome lug nut covers, Infinity door speakers, 10" DVC RF Sub, Switchbacks, Slotted rotors & Braided stainless brake hoses, Cortex tuner

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-23-2018, 09:04 PM

Have you tried turning the A/C off and on when you hear the sound. Mine may be similar and found that the sound changes when the A/C is flipped on and off. Why it does this I don't know but I thought I'd throw it out there for you to try.
hexagod likes this.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
04 GP GT2 Bone stock, just like me!
09 PBM G8 GT, Spectre CAI ...more smiles per gallon!
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-24-2018, 08:09 AM

could be your compressor if it goes away with the a/c off. In my case as posted above it was the tensioner. They're both spinning all the time anyhow and mine didn't go away with the a/c off. I suspect that the compressor under load highlights the issue.
hexagod likes this.

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-24-2018, 12:56 PM Thread Starter

Yeah when I first bought the car I noticed if I turned off the A/C it would stop squeaking... thing is that the sound comes and goes and it usually sounds different, has different properties every time. I feel better though... don't think I've got the tick. I was planning on replacing the belts this weekend but I'm always busy. The sound the engine makes is closer to a squeak than a tick, and it sounds like belt issues I've had in the past. I just wanted to know what they sound like relative to each other.

Thanks for the responses, and I'll keep you guys posted.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-26-2018, 08:30 AM

if you really know what your doing it takes 5 minutes to replace both belts. If you haven't taken the belts off, then maybe 20 to fiddle with it. Hardest part is taking your intake off. In my case, my vararam is a sinch to take off and I cleaned and oiled it while i was at it.

Just keep the pulley routing diagram nearby for when you put her back together with the gatorback/continental replacements.
hexagod likes this.

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-26-2018, 11:55 AM Thread Starter

I've swapped belts before but I usually buy cars/trucks with lots of engine bay room. These come out from the bottom? Looks like a pretty tight squeeze. I've got the stock intake... I need to remove it from the throttle body then?

I tried purchasing a Haynes repair manual for my G8, but the seller just refunded the money and never sent it... they are usually my goto for model specific issues.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-26-2018, 12:27 PM

Yeah, take the intake out first. You will have plenty of room then.

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-26-2018, 01:24 PM Thread Starter

I read on another website to do it from the bottom of the car... so I take it that's not good advice? I'll basically remove the intake then have decent room? That's good to know. Should I disconnect it from the TB and the airbox? What are the recommended intake disconnect points? Is the intake attached to the radiator (and if so, how)?

Thanks so much! =]
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-26-2018, 02:36 PM

no, simple job from the top. without the intake it is literally a 10 minute job and plenty of room. Just need a 10mm socket on the tensioner. When putting the belts back on, don't be afraid to apply the pressure to the tensioner. There's a little extra give you need to slip the belt onto a smooth pulley.

you could also use this as a good excuse to do your intake. take out the stock, change both belts (best prices are on ebay), install new intake. smile.
hexagod likes this.

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-27-2018, 08:33 AM

Undo the clamps on the TB end and airbox end of the intake tube/resonator and you'll have all the room you need.

Doing it from below actually sounds like a big pain in the ass, trying to reach up in there and get the belt in place.
hexagod likes this.

post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-27-2018, 09:50 AM

Plus it takes longer to jack the car up and put it on stands than it does to pull the intake
hexagod likes this.

09 G8 GT - DD
06 Ram 2500 - Tow
00 Formula - Drag
14 JKU - wife's DD/trail rig
77 CJ5 - trail
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-27-2018, 10:39 AM Thread Starter

cool, thanks guys! I was supposed to do this this weekend but I gotta dog-sit for my pops =/ (will have to wait for next)

sounds like it won't be bad.

I am leaving this thing stock for the moment. I don't have a lot of extra cash laying around for mods . Just need to do maint items

What I really wanna do eventually is a T6060 swap, perhaps mild cam and subs lol, maybe a catback because I love hearing GM motors pur (haev mercaey )....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
dod , lifter tick , stock cam , valvetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page