Sourcing Pontiac G8 parts such as bumper covers - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-01-2019, 12:17 PM Thread Starter

Sourcing Pontiac G8 parts such as bumper covers

Hi guys,

I've decided to hold onto my G8 a little longer and fix it up and get it in better selling condition. May sell it if I find something I like, but I went car shopping and could not get myself to move into the different cars I looked at with the price points. Maybe I'll keep it, who knows. Decided to change out my wife's car for now with an newish SUV.

I want to replace my bumper cover that is splitting at the nose area and paint chipping off on the nose area (it was repaired before and lasted 2-3 years). I think this part is dragging the value of my car the most and a sagging headliner, at least at the trade-ins. I've searched all over Google and the front bumper covers seem to be gone. Will I have to order a bumper cover from gmpartsdirect at a high price? What are the options here?

Also, I've had one upholstery shop say they have to remove the windshield to do the headliner but another one said that's not necessary. Any gotchas on the headliner replacement? It's been in bad shape for a few years now and I need to get it fixed since it's very unappealing to someone who might want it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-01-2019, 12:27 PM
F1rehawk

Garage
I would find a reputable body shop and pay to get it fixed properly. You can also go to Junkyards in your area and look for one in decent condition and get it repainted if the color does not match. Call first, these cars are rare as you already know. Upload a picture of your bumper, it may help us with suggestions!

2009 SRM PONTIAC G8 GT
VCM OTR Cold Air Intake
Kooks Long Tube Headers / HF Cats
Solo Mach Shorty Catback
Continental Extreme Contact DWS6 Tires
Shadow Chrome Camaro SS Wheels
91 Octane Tune @ JLS Tuning Performance
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-01-2019, 02:35 PM

Recommend not purchasing a brand new front bumper cover as the prices are rather exorbitant. Plus, you're still undecided if the G8 is staying or going to be sold in the near future. If the body shop nor junkyard idea don't pan out, try looking for a used bumper cover (perhaps a different color) on eBay. Read of members having the headliner replaced during their lunch break and am pretty sure removing the windshield is unnecessary. Good luck

#NEVER GIVE UP
#AUDACITY OF HOPE

"Rather not run the risk of offending anyone, so let me just go ahead and offend someone". -PONY MAN

"When you write the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen". -UNKNOWN

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-01-2019, 07:24 PM Thread Starter

Here are pics. You can see it was actually pulled down and warped when backing out from years ago when I first ran over a big parking curb. Main issue is the cracking and paint damage. In the first repair the body ship reinforced it with epoxy and a piece of plastic on the low part of the crack but it looks like it is failing.

Should I have a body shop re epoxy and repaint? or replace? It will be very hard to find from junkyards because I did try about 3 years ago to no success.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190101_190915_1546391964299.jpg (152.2 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg 20190101_190909_1546392110332.jpg (154.3 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg 20190101_190859_1546392176157.jpg (149.4 KB, 43 views)
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-01-2019, 08:35 PM

headliner

#NEVER GIVE UP
#AUDACITY OF HOPE

"Rather not run the risk of offending anyone, so let me just go ahead and offend someone". -PONY MAN

"When you write the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen". -UNKNOWN

post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-01-2019, 10:24 PM Thread Starter

Read the headliner thread. I did the black thumbtacks to keep it up but then the black covers on the tacks fell off because they are so cheap. I also got a quote locally for $170 and he says he does not need to take out the windshield. Just hope they out the panels and mirrors back correctly.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-02-2019, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruxpot View Post
Hi guys,

I've decided to hold onto my G8 a little longer and fix it up and get it in better selling condition. May sell it if I find something I like, but I went car shopping and could not get myself to move into the different cars I looked at with the price points. Maybe I'll keep it, who knows. Decided to change out my wife's car for now with an newish SUV.

I want to replace my bumper cover that is splitting at the nose area and paint chipping off on the nose area (it was repaired before and lasted 2-3 years). I think this part is dragging the value of my car the most and a sagging headliner, at least at the trade-ins. I've searched all over Google and the front bumper covers seem to be gone. Will I have to order a bumper cover from gmpartsdirect at a high price? What are the options here?

Also, I've had one upholstery shop say they have to remove the windshield to do the headliner but another one said that's not necessary. Any gotchas on the headliner replacement? It's been in bad shape for a few years now and I need to get it fixed since it's very unappealing to someone who might want it.
https://www.gmpartsprime.com/ has a lot of hard to find/discontinued/vintage parts at very affordable prices. Their parts come with GM's factory warranty as well. Hope this helps.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-02-2019, 02:00 PM
CCG8 Member

The headliner fits out the back door, you just need to recline the seat back fully for room.

Matt Jones
2009 WH G8 GT Vararam/Kooks LT's/Corsa/BLP Probationary LL 219/223 .612/.615 112LSA/3.45s
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-02-2019, 02:30 PM
F1rehawk

Garage
I have seen the pictures of your bumper and in my own opinion I would replace it. The cost to fix that in a professional manner would be more expensive than getting a new one. Call your local junkyards again, there MUST be more G8 in the yards now than 3 years ago. Some have online inventories that you can check weekly as well. Watch the forums as some user do the GXP bumper swap as well and a GT could pop out.

2009 SRM PONTIAC G8 GT
VCM OTR Cold Air Intake
Kooks Long Tube Headers / HF Cats
Solo Mach Shorty Catback
Continental Extreme Contact DWS6 Tires
Shadow Chrome Camaro SS Wheels
91 Octane Tune @ JLS Tuning Performance
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-02-2019, 04:03 PM

any reputable body shop can fix that and dont have to buy a $650 new one
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-03-2019, 06:21 AM

You could definitely get that bumper fixed with proper plastic welding and paint for around $400-$500. Maybe ask some of the local car guys/hot rodders who they recommend for paint work. In my area we have a local cars and coffee with a facebook group. If I ever need any special bodywork, I post up in there and get taken care of. Usually, the people that work on supercars really protect their reputation and do the work right.

2009 LR GT,Red/Onyx, Sport, Roof
Vararam, pypes headers, Borla X pipe, 2014 SS mufflers, Pat G custom cam, 3.45 Camaro diff, Powerhaus/ Sky tune
Koni yellows, H&R springs (cut dead coil), Polyelast strut bushings, BMR Toe Rods and Trailing arms, Whiteline radius rod, front lower control arm and rear cradle bushings, GXP Front Bumper and Diffuser,
Axis 18's, 255/40 (front), 275/40 (rear) Firestone Indy 500 Tires

12.29 @ 114
1.9 60 ft
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-05-2019, 12:52 PM Thread Starter

I have called around junkyards. No luck for any G8 parts locally. Even junkyard search sites nationally do not really return bumpers used. Most likely will have to do a weld repair that was mentioned or it will be north of $800 for a new one after shipping and that is just for the part.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-05-2019, 01:35 PM

Don't know where you live in Texas, but here are a couple of options available to you if desired. There is a GM dealer/parts source in Dallas that will sell you a new GT front fascia for $599. If your near by, maybe they allow for pick up from their place an no shipping charges (GM Parts Club) in Dallas. Or from Amazon (thru a third party GM source), you can get one delivered to your door for $644. The P/N is 92250666.

But then again, I see that you are trying to unload the car. So fascia correction doesn't seem to be that relevant.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-05-2019, 02:32 PM Thread Starter

I was thinking a detail, fixing front bumper and the tacked up headliner should help me fetch a higher price in a private sale? You don't think its worth the trouble?
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-05-2019, 07:22 PM

The bumper and headliner repairs translating to a higher seller price is debatable as much of it is contingent upon total cost. However, it would help the car to appear like it was well taken care of and do you have a detailed estimate(s) to repair the bumper?

#NEVER GIVE UP
#AUDACITY OF HOPE

post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-06-2019, 01:04 AM Thread Starter

Car is well maintained. I do not have an estimate yet but I believe I paid $350 for the first repair years ago and it is probably more expensive than that now. I suppose if I sell I can leave that as a negotiating point. I think headliner should be fixed and hitch should come off to make it more attractive. Unfortunately the tires are also getting a bit worn and need replacement soon. :\
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-08-2019, 11:38 AM

I would just buy a new bumper. I hate how insurance and auto shops try to get people to fix cracks in plastic bumpers.
It's plastic spend the money and do it with a new or used one that's solid.

600 give or take is actually a good price for a bumper.

If your going to keep the car it's worth fixing up. If spending 1500 or more to fix the car isn't what you want to do. List it as it sits and see if someone is willing to buy it like they see it. You won't be out the cash you don't seem to want to spend. And then you could find something else.

If a bumper is about 600 labor to paint and install will probably be about the same. You can save a bit of that if you do the labor yourself. Just get it painted. You also won't have to leave car at shop for any length of time.

09 Pontiac G8GT rebadge to a Holden VE SSv
Rotofab, 1-3/4 long tube w/ full KOOKS exhaust. VMS ecm/tcm tune. CTSV brake Upgrade. CTSV wheels 19x9 on all four.
07 350z Nismo, Stillen headers, injen long tube intake. Leather seats.
90 300zxTT Major build est 450hp on low boost, 650hp on high boost. 99 spec front end, have yet to install the wing and tails.
85 Rx7 12a street port with holley 565 est 190hp
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-11-2019, 06:31 PM

I got My bumper fixed for under 250.00 welded & painted so maybe I got a deal but it should not cost a lot more than that.

K&N CAI, Pypes headers, Solo HFC's,Solo axle backs, Custom tune, FE3 Struts & Shocks, White line bushings & bearings, Rear Cradle inserts, Moog end links.Little lunati cam,SLP 25 %UDP, AC tensioner upgrade.15% tint.12" sub woofer with amp.Future upgrade Power slot rotors & posi quiet pads.

V6 Spectre CAI, Original Overkill tune,FE3 Struts & Shocks, White line bushings & bearings, BMR Rear Cradle inserts, Moog end links.12" sub woofer with amp.
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-11-2019, 10:36 PM

I just had a gouge fixed in my wife's front bumper. It was only going to cost me under $250 to fix it itself. I had the spoiler repainted because we found mysterious scratches on it the same day we discovered the gouge. $440 sales tax and all for both. I was skeptical of how the repair would go,but you can't tell it's ever been hit. Shop is only an hour north of Texarkana. I highly recommend the shop.

We've had to have the headliner replaced also. My wife had to attend a board meeting in Little Rock,Arkansas once a month. There is a great old school upholstery shop near where she went to the meeting,and it was highly rated. One month I was on vacation when she had a meeting so we decided to use that shop. Not a good shop around here anymore. They had never done a G8 so they did it like they did at the factory and went through the windshield. Of course,it broke the windshield. The windshield had the delamination issue so I wasn't terribly upset about it. They did a KILLER job on the headliner though. Definitely suggest the backseat method if you do have a headliner done.

I have posted threads about my fascia and headliner repairs if you want to see some pics.

After we found the gouge and scheduled the repair work,I backed her car down the driveway some to move my truck out of the garage. I did this to get our Christmas decorations down from the attic. My wife asked if she needed to park in the street. In my best man voice I said "Naw, I got plenty of room! I backed it way down the driveway!" I have to watch the mirrors on one side to keep from hitting the garage door frame so I was watching that more than anything. I stopped the truck,got out,and my wife goes "Did you hit it?" You literally couldn't have slid a sheet of paper between her car and my truck bumper. It would've hit in about the same area as your damage,and I would've been ticked. Wife was just watching me and not saying anything....

2009 Liquid Red GT
GXP Mufflers
Spectre CAI
Camaro 20s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page