Stage 3 cam upgrade - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Blessed

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-14-2019, 04:58 PM Thread Starter

Stage 3 cam upgrade

Im rebuilding my G8 Gt. It has the 6.0. My engine hydrolocked and i need rods, pistons, and a new cam. Im not trying to do anything crazy because i drive about 500 miles a week and need it to get as much mpg as possible. Im thinking about getting a stage 3 cam with a CAI. Im also getting rid of the DOD. The engine had 208,000 miles so should i get all new parts, like fuel pump, water pump, power steering pump, timing chain, etc since its already torn down? And will i need to do anything other than a tune to get rid of the DOD and run the stage 3 cam? Like a new converter or anything?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-14-2019, 05:25 PM

how did it get hydrolocked? I only ask as a fellow GT owner with miles close to that range.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-14-2019, 05:31 PM

as far as the stage 3 cam goes: there are lots of stage 3 cams who are you buying it from (mfr)?

I think usually the steeper cams need headers and a stall (because you make your power up top).

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-14-2019, 05:38 PM Thread Starter

I drove thru some water on the road and it was deeper than i thought it was. The air vent in the fender sucked the water up into the engine. The car went dead and into limp mode but by me trying to crank the engine back up and the water sitting on the piston, it threw a rod thru the block. It wouldn't have happened if i took the plugs out before i tried to crank it so it could blow the water out. Oh well, i learned from it and now i can help others so it turned out to be a blessing. As far as the cam, im not sure yet
hexagod likes this.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-14-2019, 09:33 PM

I'd say post a link to the specific cam. There are lots of "stage 3" cams and the bolt ons/converter should be matched to the MFR spec. Typically they refer to cams designed to make their power in the top end while sacrificing low end torque but the specifics will vary.

usually you will need a higher stall to launch effectively and the headers provide extra flow to give headroom on the top end. Apparently, the stock mufflers are not very restrictive, so you might be able to get away without a catback but what fun is that? A steep cam'd motor only will be done justice by a nice catback/headers.

Water pump, I don't see why you would need that (if you're worried about temps it's easier to do cold tstat/tune and the tune is needed anyway w/new cam). Fuel pump.. I doubt you will be drawing that much extra fuel with LS3 heads N/A. I don't think you need to mess with the fuel system until you do E85 or forced induction. Power steering pump, not sure why that would matter unless it's already messed up. Timing chain, someone who knows more than me should advise.

If you have the heads off you might consider a port and polish as it's not that expensive. Polishing the TB might help aswell and wouldn't be that difficult with the motor apart.

Other than swapping the T/C you should be able to keep the tranny stock.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-14-2019, 10:00 PM Thread Starter

Thanks alot for your help. Ill decide on a cam then ill go from there.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-14-2019, 10:52 PM
Site Sponsor

Garage
Give us a call and we can set you up with everything you need. We have plenty of cam options to choose from but keep in mind you will need a DOD delete kit to go with the cam kit to remove the DOD. You will also need to have it tuned out.

We are your one stop shop for Holden Performance. We have the best deals on all the hottest parts such as Corsa, ARH, Kooks, SW, Roto-Fab Solo Performance and much more with installation and tuning available. When you're ready to order pm/call us for your G8Board discount. Our pricing and service is second to none.
224-63-JUICE (224-635-8423) OR [email protected]

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-29-2019, 07:03 AM

You will also need a stall converter that works with your cam. If you over cam the stall it will be a turd off the line and possibly midrange.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page