$#^@.........I'm getting a GM - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 12:35 PM Thread Starter

$#^@.........I'm getting a GM

Well, I've disliked GM for many years now as a Ford owner. But one thing I can say is I've always respected them.

The time has come that I HAVE to get a family 4 door and Ford doesn't really offer me anything I'd want. So my options were a BMW 335i Sedan or a Audi S4. I did look at the CTS-V but meh...And with a $25k limit I wasn't going to be able to afford the supercharged ones.

The BMW 335i is pretty cool and I work with BMW so it would be a plus for when the big-wigs come over. Buuuuuut the owner community is a bunch of ***gots. They are more concerned with which tune gets the most burbles out of their exhaust and the literally complain of catless exhaust smell. No way I could mesh with that community.

The Audi is another story. Pretty cool community and the cars can run 121mph'ish in the 1/4 before they are done. Eh... What kills it for me is the maintenance cost and parts cost.

Oh why couldn't there be a nice 4 door V8?! Then I remembered I always loved the look of the G8s but didn't care much for Pontiac honestly. So I looked into them. They check off every box I want and need. When I saw the LSA from the CTSV is pretty much a drop it that seals the deal for me!

So guys...Make room for a Mustang owner. I'll be joining your ranks soon.

First thing I want to do is get rid of the lifter DoD liability. I'd like to do this ASAP when I get the car but does it make sense to do a camshaft when I do the DoD delete? I'm really thinking of a BTR stage 2 or 3.
Glynn and ekt8750 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stopsign32v View Post
Well, I've disliked GM for many years now as a Ford owner. But one thing I can say is I've always respected them.

The time has come that I HAVE to get a family 4 door and Ford doesn't really offer me anything I'd want. So my options were a BMW 335i Sedan or a Audi S4. I did look at the CTS-V but meh...And with a $25k limit I wasn't going to be able to afford the supercharged ones.

The BMW 335i is pretty cool and I work with BMW so it would be a plus for when the big-wigs come over. Buuuuuut the owner community is a bunch of ***gots. They are more concerned with which tune gets the most burbles out of their exhaust and the literally complain of catless exhaust smell. No way I could mesh with that community.

The Audi is another story. Pretty cool community and the cars can run 121mph'ish in the 1/4 before they are done. Eh... What kills it for me is the maintenance cost and parts cost.

Oh why couldn't there be a nice 4 door V8?! Then I remembered I always loved the look of the G8s but didn't care much for Pontiac honestly. So I looked into them. They check off every box I want and need. When I saw the LSA from the CTSV is pretty much a drop it that seals the deal for me!

So guys...Make room for a Mustang owner. I'll be joining your ranks soon.

First thing I want to do is get rid of the lifter DoD liability. I'd like to do this ASAP when I get the car but does it make sense to do a camshaft when I do the DoD delete? I'm really thinking of a BTR stage 2 or 3.

Not only does it makes sense to do them cam when you do the DoD delete, but you absolutely HAVE to do it. Old baby cam is cut for DoD and I doubt it'll work.

I am actually thinking of going with BTR Stage 2 cam myself when I do the DoD delete this summer. Keep us posted of your process. Good luck and have fun!
post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 12:44 PM

Welcome.
I'm at the other side of the spectrum, never owned a Ford.
GM and especially Pontiac for 47 years now.
Jeez, I sound like a geezer....
I'll leave your cam question to the V8 boys.
Drive safe.
tchr49 likes this.

post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 12:55 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnagexz View Post
Not only does it makes sense to do them cam when you do the DoD delete, but you absolutely HAVE to do it. Old baby cam is cut for DoD and I doubt it'll work.

I am actually thinking of going with BTR Stage 2 cam myself when I do the DoD delete this summer. Keep us posted of your process. Good luck and have fun!

Well there you go, thanks for that info!

Only thing is if I get a stock G8 it won't make much sense to put a rowdy cam in a basically stock car. LOL I read too much about lifter failures though...

Here's a quick plan of my mods:

1 7/8 headers
Custom 3" exhaust all the way back (I like the Corsa but I think this car will NEED 3")
3200 Yank or Circle D stall
Weld wheels 15" in the rear (?if it will fit) and maybe 16-17" up front. Not crazy skinnies though, been there done that on the street and it's flat out not fun IMO. Maybe 5-6" wide'ish up front and 10" in the rear with 275 drag radials.
Not sure on rear gears? Maybe 3.45s

Vararam intake (This is actually interesting to me. I've read the Roto Fab intake is the best. That flat out doesn't make sense to me. Vararam is shorter, straighter, and fresh air. How could it not be best design?)
Maybe some juice too!>!?!

Stage 2 will be LSA blower and a goal of......650whp. Maybe 700 if I feel stupid
post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 01:14 PM

Quote:

Only thing is if I get a stock G8 it won't make much sense to put a rowdy cam in a basically stock car. LOL I read too much about lifter failures though...

1 7/8 headers
Custom 3" exhaust all the way back (I like the Corsa but I think this car will NEED 3")
Weld wheels 15" in the rear (?if it will fit) and maybe 16-17" up front. Not crazy skinnies though, been there done that on the street and it's flat out not fun IMO. Maybe 5-6" wide'ish up front and 10" in the rear with 275 drag radials.
Not sure on rear gears? Maybe 3.45s

Vararam intake (This is actually interesting to me. I've read the Roto Fab intake is the best. That flat out doesn't make sense to me. Vararam is shorter, straighter, and fresh air. How could it not be best design?)
Maybe some juice too!>!?!

Stage 2 will be LSA blower and a goal of......650whp. Maybe 700 if I feel stupid
From what I've been seeing it's all over the place for intakes. From Aussie's it seems that OTRs are great for up top power when air is pushed in. CAI is great for consistent results. Though on the OTR front I've heard that VCM > Vara.

You've definitely done your research, those would be the same mods I'd get myself. (Though I didn't bother looking up the wheels.) Im sure you know, but you'll need a trans cooler for 3200.

For anything above 500whp I believe reinforcing trans will be necessary since I believe that's when it'll start to clock out on you. Can't criticize anything.

Only thing is that I can't decide if at some point I want TT setup of LSA. Hard choices...
post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 01:23 PM

Quote:

1 7/8 headers
Almost forgot to mention, for Stage 2 you may not need a converter since stock can still handle it. 3 and 4 you will need it.

(For stage 2-4 you will need to do valve work on the heads.)
post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 01:28 PM

Garage
Seems you have pretty good idea of the mods these cars typically get/need. 15" wheels are a pretty involved process on these cars, there are kits out there but in my opinion its too expensive unless you plan on strictly drag racing with high horsepower. 17" fit in almost every case and a good radial/suspension setup should have no problem holding a cam/LSA. 3.45s and boost are a bad combo with the auto trans, you probably won't make it past the beams without shifting to second lol. If you have intentions of going LSA, look at BTRs PD cams. The Vararam should theoretically be a better design, but its quality is severely lacking in comparison to Rotofab. Plus, some where having issues with sucking rain water in and hydrolocking engines using OTR intakes. Lastly, 700 whp is a high goal for LSA. Not saying its impossible by any means, but it will require some assortment of additional parts, whether it be meth injection, porting, E85, etc.

I doubt you couldn't have fun either way, there is plenty of potential with the LS platform and the G8 combines the best of both worlds as far as powertrain and practicality go. Good luck!

BTR Stage 2 Kooks LTs SLP Powerflo 3.27 Rear
6/4-pot Brembos Tein/PPV BMR Bars/Arms TSW Nurburgrings
post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 01:34 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by L_Alvis View Post
Seems you have pretty good idea of the mods these cars typically get/need. 15" wheels are a pretty involved process on these cars, there are kits out there but in my opinion its too expensive unless you plan on strictly drag racing with high horsepower. 17" fit in almost every case and a good radial/suspension setup should have no problem holding a cam/LSA. 3.45s and boost are a bad combo with the auto trans, you probably won't make it past the beams without shifting to second lol. If you have intentions of going LSA, look at BTRs PD cams. The Vararam should theoretically be a better design, but its quality is severely lacking in comparison to Rotofab. Plus, some where having issues with sucking rain water in and hydrolocking engines using OTR intakes. Lastly, 700 whp is a high goal for LSA. Not saying its impossible by any means, but it will require some assortment of additional parts, whether it be meth injection, porting, E85, etc.

I doubt you couldn't have fun either way, there is plenty of potential with the LS platform and the G8 combines the best of both worlds as far as powertrain and practicality go. Good luck!

I've been researching for less than 24 hours. But I've come from a long line of high output V8 cars. So I have an advantage over newbies.
post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 02:00 PM

Don't forget the G8's newer sibling, the Chevy SS!

2009 G8 GXP, #715 0f 1829 (#18 of 23 as optioned), MSM, 6M, Sunroof, Onyx/Red

2009 G8 GXP, #807 of 1829 (#37 of 68 as optioned), MSM, 6A, Sunroof, Onyx

2016 Chevy SS, Mystic Green, roof, #555 of 2221

Forum junkie at the G8Board and "The G8 Forum That Shall Not Be Named"!
post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 02:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GXPaycheck View Post
Don't forget the G8's newer sibling, the Chevy SS!

Eh...
post #11 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Eh...

Curious, what do you dislike?

2009 G8 GXP, #715 0f 1829 (#18 of 23 as optioned), MSM, 6M, Sunroof, Onyx/Red

2009 G8 GXP, #807 of 1829 (#37 of 68 as optioned), MSM, 6A, Sunroof, Onyx

2016 Chevy SS, Mystic Green, roof, #555 of 2221

Forum junkie at the G8Board and "The G8 Forum That Shall Not Be Named"!
post #12 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 02:09 PM

Garage
Having just re-entered the community I was just as recently shopping for what G8 I wanted. I in particular wanted a GXP, however, there were two GTs that had my eye. There was a silver Firehawk which might still be for sale, around $22K-$24K, look up the Firehawk upgrade (like a Hennessy/Lingenfelter kind of deal), and more attractive to me, there is STILL a SBM G8 GT, supercharged and putting out crazy numbers and looks to match. The mods on it are probably worth more than the car if stock. I think it's around $22K, don't quote me, but a great deal and a solid "start" for the directions you are going.

Good luck, happy hunting!

I'm back!
'09 GXP - Stryker Blue, name pending
'18 Road Glide Special, Bonneville Salt
Days of Yore
'08 G8 GT (Vanna) White Hot
'09 G8 GT (LeVana) White Hot
Go Air Force!
post #13 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 02:25 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GXPaycheck View Post
Curious, what do you dislike?

I don't care for the looks, I like Pontiac over Chebby (Firehawk is my long time secret love), and I don't need all the tech of the newer cars. If I could get a G8 with a cable throttle I would. I'm a dinosaur at heart, can't stand tech.
post #14 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 02:36 PM

Chevy ss is the closet you can get to a nice rwd 4 door sedan that resembles a g8 for few hounded $$ you can convert it to Holden and no one will ever know its a Chevy GXPaycheck you agree ?
GXP25 likes this.
post #15 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 02:44 PM
F1rehawk

Garage
Great wise decision. I could not care less for Audi and BMW and they all look the same to me. Was a big fan of the E36 and E46 M3 but they don't make em like that anymore. Heard plenty of reliability issues on the newer Audis and BMWs, hence their value dropping rapidly in the used market. Not a fan of Ford either, but I have a very sweet spot for the Mercury Marauder and Ford Lightning.

The G8 is a keeper, best damn car I have ever owned, feels solid in every possible way. Except for the damn lifter, but mine is not ticking yet. Will get that done along with a Stage 4 Cam (or less if reliability is affected, gotta talk with my tuner).

The community is great, except for a douchebag or two at the meets that believe their cars should be in the front row during the group picture.

Have fun with your future ride. Keep us updated and stay safe.
USAFA_09 likes this.

2009 SRM PONTIAC G8 GT
VCM OTR Cold Air Intake
Kooks Long Tube Headers / HF Cats
Solo Mach Shorty Catback
Continental Extreme Contact DWS6 Tires
Shadow Chrome Camaro SS Wheels
91 Octane Tune @ JLS Tuning Performance
post #16 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 02:54 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmpontiacguy View Post
Chevy ss is the closet you can get to a nice rwd 4 door sedan that resembles a g8 for few hounded $$ you can convert it to Holden and no one will ever know its a Chevy GXPaycheck you agree ?

Most are almost double the amount and don't look near as good as a G8. So where is the benefit? I'd say a nicer 8 speed and LS3 but other than that...?
post #17 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 02:56 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRenegade911 View Post
Great wise decision. I could not care less for Audi and BMW and they all look the same to me. Was a big fan of the E36 and E46 M3 but they don't make em like that anymore. Heard plenty of reliability issues on the newer Audis and BMWs, hence their value dropping rapidly in the used market. Not a fan of Ford either, but I have a very sweet spot for the Mercury Marauder and Ford Lightning.

The G8 is a keeper, best damn car I have ever owned, feels solid in every possible way. Except for the damn lifter, but mine is not ticking yet. Will get that done along with a Stage 4 Cam (or less if reliability is affected, gotta talk with my tuner).

The community is great, except for a douchebag or two at the meets that believe their cars should be in the front row during the group picture.

Have fun with your future ride. Keep us updated and stay safe.

So will a "LS3" Stage 3 or 4 cam work in a L76? I'd assume so but then I don't understand why BTR would call it a "LS3 cam".
post #18 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 02:57 PM

If you're going LSA here are a couple things to do when they come up...

- Go ahead and get a blower cam when you do your DOD delete. The BTR Stage 3 PDS is solid
- LSA requires the LS3 style water pump, which has the inlet on the opposite side than the L76. It's direct bolt-on on the L76 block, just need the new upper hose too. Again, do with DOD-delete
- Power steering reservoir relocation. Pretty sure it's required for LSA as well. Check out Glanzer performance for the bracket (and other G8 LSA stuff)
- The ZL1/CTSV converter is a good/cheap option for LSA cars. Again, direct drop in
- Johnson lifters. Pricey, but seem to be holding up much better than the LS7 lifters. Seen a lot of the LS7s fail on people.
GXP25 likes this.

2009 PBM GT
DOD-delete, BTR Stage 2 cam, Roto-Fab, BLP Ported Intake and Throttle Body, Kooks 1-7/8 long tubes, XForce Varex Catback, ZL1 Converter, Elite E2 Catch Can, HSRK, Camaro Trans Pan/Filter, GXP Brembos, Cold Case Radiator
Breyton GTS-AV Wheels, 6k HIDs, Holden Steering Wheel and Paddle Shifters, Eibach Springs, 35% Tint
Tuned by Day Tuning

post #19 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 02:58 PM

Quote:
So will a "LS3" Stage 3 or 4 cam work in a L76? I'd assume so but then I don't understand why BTR would call it a "LS3 cam".
Yes, the LS3 cams are the correct cams for the L76. Other than the displacement being slightly less, it's very close to an LS3.

2009 PBM GT
DOD-delete, BTR Stage 2 cam, Roto-Fab, BLP Ported Intake and Throttle Body, Kooks 1-7/8 long tubes, XForce Varex Catback, ZL1 Converter, Elite E2 Catch Can, HSRK, Camaro Trans Pan/Filter, GXP Brembos, Cold Case Radiator
Breyton GTS-AV Wheels, 6k HIDs, Holden Steering Wheel and Paddle Shifters, Eibach Springs, 35% Tint
Tuned by Day Tuning

post #20 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 03:27 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebg8gt View Post
- Go ahead and get a blower cam when you do your DOD delete. The BTR Stage 3 PDS is solid

Thanks for the other pointers but can you or someone else comment on how the BTR Stage 3 PDS performs on a NA engine? LSA is probably 2-3 years out after I get the G8 honestly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page