Crank shaft sensor and knock sensor codes issues - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 08:14 PM Thread Starter

Crank shaft sensor and knock sensor codes issues

Was on the way to work yesterday with the windows down, I hit a long light so I decided to roll up the windows and turn on the ac. Was sitting for about 2 mins and car just decided to die out of no where. I tried to start it up and it seem like it didnt want to start. Once it finally started check engine light popped up with the esp off light on. It was idling weird and seemed like it had no power. I pulled off the side of the road and turned it off, I pulled my scanner out and it said it was the crankshaft position sensor. Popped the hood and tried checked but could see the sensor. Cleared the codes and tried to start it again and still had a hard time starting. Still idling weird. Turned it off again let it sit for a min trying to figure what the issue was. Just decided to clear the codes once more and try to start it again. Started right up no hesitation. Reved it a couple times, no issues. Get on the freeway and 10 miles later it like down shifted or something and check engine light came on again. Only this time it was knock control system error. The car would backfire around 50 when I would let off the gas and normally it does it around 80-70 but not as loud. I got to work and had it towed home. Next morning I started the car to move it so I couldtake a look to see if i could see anything. It started right up no issues, the check engine light was gone, my esp was working. So I decided to drive the car with the ac on and probably 15 mins into driving it did the samething like down shifted, light came on for check engine and esp and had no power when stepping on the gas.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 08:45 PM

There are at least 4 different fault codes assigned to the crankshaft sensor. I think a couple of them could be left out of the problem for now. The 2 remaining both would cause the car to default to the limp home mode if they were detected. You never say what fault code(s) you were displaying however. Do to the location of the CKP sensor itself, I highly doubt you could ever see *it* an its wiring, unless you actually crawled around under the car to view above the starter. Even then I'm sure you would need an inspection mirror an light source to have any chance of checking it out. Were either of the fault codes P0335 or P00336 ? Those are the 2 that seem to affect the car the way yours is acting.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 09:27 PM Thread Starter

P0335

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 10:16 AM

The circuit testing for the sensor is pretty involved (like service center computer hookup). My take is that the sensor looses its ability to pulse (as each segment of the reluctor wheel on the crankshaft passes by it). In order to see an verify the condition of the wiring going to the sensor, you'd have to remove the starter. If no visible damage to the wire loom, you most likely would have to replace the sensor (which looks to be very easy). Its P/N is 12585546 for about $38 from several sources. Or as low as $9 for after market versions from Ebay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page