Rear Seal? - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 12:30 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Rear Seal?

Was checking on mid-pipe bolts from the headers I put on last winter and saw this. Was clean as a whistle when I put it away and I've only driven it twice since pulling her back out. Guessing it's a rear main but thought I'd see if anyone else thought any different (pic's not the greatest but the stain goes back to just beyond the TC peep hole cover). No spots on the floor and the level on the dipstick is fine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20190504_103751[1].jpg (145.4 KB, 30 views)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 02:20 PM

Garage
Take off the inspection cover and get a look up inside to see if the oil is in there as well. It should be if it is a rear-main.

Otherwise, a rear oil pan leak (more common) may be the culprit. Once it runs down and air blows it around it'll go all over the place and it doesn't have to be a ton of oil.

'09 PSM G8 GT - OPG Intake, DOD-Delete w/ Stage 1C 218/229 .600 Lift 117.5LSA, Kooks 1 7/8 Mids, Solo Axle-Back w/ X-Pipe, SuperPro Bushings (Front and Rear). BMR Sway Bars (Red)
Power: 400HP/392TQ

"If you want to criticize someone else's work, be sure that your own is in order first."

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 02:23 PM

Looks like the rear main. These cars are getting older, so seals are starting to weaken, and get brittle.

PBM G8 GXP M6-Self flex fuel tune,OBX LTs, Kooks A/B, Monster clutch, 3.45 gear,LSA S/C, cam, fuel system, stock block and stock heads, 12 PSI.
Best e.t 10.41/ best mph 138.7 Half Mile: 168.3 mph
2007 TBSS-Self tune, bolt ons [email protected], 1,560 D.A
1991 GMC Syclone- Self tune/catback [email protected], 4,200ft D.A
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0o...xsBDzFImcyBfeA
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 02:53 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jova007200 View Post
Take off the inspection cover and get a look up inside to see if the oil is in there as well. It should be if it is a rear-main.

Otherwise, a rear oil pan leak (more common) may be the culprit. Once it runs down and air blows it around it'll go all over the place and it doesn't have to be a ton of oil.
I checked up the inspection hole as soon as I saw the leak, looks clean as a whistle up there. Also pulled the little plastic flex plate inspection cover, the outside was covered but the inside was fine (and the flex plate and surrounding area was bone dry).

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jova007200 View Post

What's involved with changing the oil pan gasket?

I [stupidly] did not change the gasket when I replaced the clutch a couple of years ago. Even though I replaced the rear main seal.

#754 of 1829: GXP
#23 of 67: LR, M6, Roof, Onyx/Red
#22 of 37: Summer-only Potenza tires
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 04:34 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GXP25 View Post
What's involved with changing the oil pan gasket?

I [stupidly] did not change the gasket when I replaced the clutch a couple of years ago. Even though I replaced the rear main seal.

With an old gasket I'd fully remove the pan so that I could clean both surfaces. The RTV that will almost certainly be in there will have to be removed and reapplied to a clean surface. I did all four corners where the gaskets meet when I did my rebuild. Enough to cover the gap with as little residual as possible.

It's probably going to be a royal pain under the car without a lift. Lots of colorful metaphors will be used.....

'09 PSM G8 GT - OPG Intake, DOD-Delete w/ Stage 1C 218/229 .600 Lift 117.5LSA, Kooks 1 7/8 Mids, Solo Axle-Back w/ X-Pipe, SuperPro Bushings (Front and Rear). BMR Sway Bars (Red)

"If you want to criticize someone else's work, be sure that your own is in order first."

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 04:41 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyC View Post
I checked up the inspection hole as soon as I saw the leak, looks clean as a whistle up there. Also pulled the little plastic flex plate inspection cover, the outside was covered but the inside was fine (and the flex plate and surrounding area was bone dry).

UV Leak Dye time.

If it is squeaky clean inside there, then I don't see how it really could be a rear main. I'm sure I could be surprised - the view into that space isn't exactly great - but my instincts say you need to clean it up and let the dye work for you.

UV Light + UV Glasses should point it out to you.

Related experience.....Short version ..... I had a similar leak on the other side of the motor. It pooled in the same spot bot also near the inspection plate. I panicked thinking I fudged the rear main replacement. I, too, looked inside the bell housing and found no oil. I traced it up the side when I noticed it leading to the dipstick....

I made a flexible dipstick tube (long story) that ended up popping out of the port causing the leak. I ordered a new dipstick and installed it and the problem went away.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page