G8 GT Wheels/Tires - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 04:11 PM Thread Starter

G8 GT Wheels/Tires

Hey guys, first time posting on this board although I've always skimmed through.

So quick run down of my situation I bought my G8 a couple years ago and the previous owner threw some 20s on with 245/35R20's. Recently, I've been blessed with a separation in one of the tires and it's time to replace it. Yet all of the tire shops in my surrounding area deem that tire not worthy due to weight allowances. Understandable and I don't know much about tires so I'm in no place to disagree.
Since buying the car and having miles of fun, the "honeymoon phase" if you will has come to an inevitable end. Don't get me wrong I love the car and honestly have no plan on resale because I've been a Pontiac fanboy since a young age. Although now my priorities are leaning more towards with lack of a better word, Practicality. Not so much in a sense of keeping it as a grocery getter but at least in terms of wheels/tires I want at least a LITTLE bit of visible sidewall.
When I bought the car I noticed it was a relatively rough ride and I knew what it was and what I was getting but I didnt care because it sounded mean and was quick. ie Honeymoon phase. Overall I'm looking for a wheel/tire combo that will provide performance, a smooth ride, and really just some insight into your setups and and why they work for you.

Tl;dr I am tired of the no sidewall roughness and want to learn about wheels and tires so I can pick something that will work for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 02:07 AM

Garage
Wow, I run 18 x8's, it's what came on the vehicle and tire wise I am currently running the alternate size 275x40's on the back and 245x40 on the front. 10" of tread in the back 9" on the front. They are Z's but the ride, handling, traction is awesome. Plus the rake is awesome. I know allot of people change to the Camaro 20" and 19" or the CTS sizes. But they are all for performance reasons. You have so many choices. That's my 2 cents. Good luck.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 08:37 PM

Stayed with the stock 245/45-18s for a smoother ride on the crap roads here in the NE. Got Michelin Pilot Sport AS3s on and they are one of the better performing all season tires out there but ride smooth enough to be my road trip ride. I thought of switching to a grand touring tire for a better ride but after driving the switch backs of the blue ridge mountains and back to upstate New York, this is the combo I’m staying with. The handling was so tight yet the ride was comfortable. Of course new tires will be the newer + version of the AS3s.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 10:00 AM

If you want a smooth ride, I would highly recommend a set of Michelin's. Best tire money can buy as far as I'm concerned.

Stay away from General and Cooper tires. In my 25 years as a suspension mechanic and having done thousands of alignments, Michelin is the best.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 02:05 PM

I understand what you're talking about with the terrible roads. I'm running the Camaro 20's and keep considering 19's but I will be going aftermarket. You can get a wider and lighter wheel that looks way better than stock for about $1300 for the wheels. Tires depend on your driving needs. I would agree that Michelin tires are the best. But they will not last any longer than the hankook or nitto. So if you don't spin your tires often and can afford them go Michelin.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 08:16 PM

Garage
I recently got KMC brand KM703 wheels and Nitto tires. Fronts are 19x8.5 wrapped with 255/40-19. Rears are 19x9.5 with 275/35-19. By far the best riding set up I have had in the entire 10 years I've had the G8.

2009.5 LR G8 GT
SHOW: spt/prem
, V8 badges
, Wheelskins, custom console lid, VG sharkfin, 20% tint, custom embroidery, GXP wheels.
GO: Roto-fab, Kooks LTs & H/F cats, Corsa, VMS.

371 rwhp 378 rwtq (dynojet)
Best 60ft. time: 2.01
Best 1/4 mile: 12.979 @ 108.79mph

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 08:30 PM

Very nice! Good to here it is working out. Are you at stock ride height or running Brembos?
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 06:38 PM Thread Starter

Thank you all for your input I appreciate it. I am currently stock ride height and no brembos.... yet 🤙🤙
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page