Buying my 1st G8.- Help - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Unread 07-08-2019, 08:00 PM Thread Starter

Buying my 1st G8.- Help

I'm an older Pontiac kind of guy, got a 67 400 in the garage, owned a WS6 TA, currently driving a gxp Bonneville..
I want G8 GT, would be happy with stock, but I'm 0 for 2 in finding that. Drove 90 minutes Saturday to have a guy pull up with a loud, (no mufflers) cammed, headers. And he admitted it needs something cuz it's throwing error codes...too much for me, so I thanked him and declined.
Today i started talking to a dealer in Linden NJ, I'm down in Marland btw... Oh no he said, this car is Bone Stock, but I can see the Volant Air Induction i said, so please check it out.
He drove it, said it's fine, not sure if it's cammed.
Can i get a Video??
Before he takes the video, he tells me the service desk just told him it's got Headers, a new Cam and Differential..

I've been reading this forum for a week, I know you guys like to play with these cars, will I find a stock GT??

Anyway, I'm starting to think it might not be too bad, he sent this video...let me know what you think of the sound, is it too annoying, my WS6 with Borla cat back was loud, but reasonable..here's the vid.

Sorry, cant figure out how to post video.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Unread 07-09-2019, 08:20 AM

Welcome! Unmodded cars are out there. If you see one with aftermarket exhaust, make sure the AFM/DOD is turned off/removed. The changeover drone gets annoying.

2009 G8 GXP, #715 0f 1829 (#18 of 23 as optioned), MSM, 6M, Sunroof, Onyx/Red

2009 G8 GXP, #807 of 1829 (#37 of 68 as optioned), MSM, 6A, Sunroof, Onyx

2016 Chevy SS, Mystic Green, roof, #555 of 2221

Forum junkie at the G8Board and "The G8 Forum That Shall Not Be Named"!
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Unread 07-09-2019, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly Heflin View Post
I'm an older Pontiac kind of guy, got a 67 400 in the garage, owned a WS6 TA, currently driving a gxp Bonneville..
I want G8 GT, would be happy with stock, but I'm 0 for 2 in finding that. Drove 90 minutes Saturday to have a guy pull up with a loud, (no mufflers) cammed, headers. And he admitted it needs something cuz it's throwing error codes...too much for me, so I thanked him and declined.
Today i started talking to a dealer in Linden NJ, I'm down in Marland btw... Oh no he said, this car is Bone Stock, but I can see the Volant Air Induction i said, so please check it out.
He drove it, said it's fine, not sure if it's cammed.
Can i get a Video??
Before he takes the video, he tells me the service desk just told him it's got Headers, a new Cam and Differential..

I've been reading this forum for a week, I know you guys like to play with these cars, will I find a stock GT??

Anyway, I'm starting to think it might not be too bad, he sent this video...let me know what you think of the sound, is it too annoying, my WS6 with Borla cat back was loud, but reasonable..here's the vid.

Sorry, cant figure out how to post video.
I found mine last summer from an older gentleman and the only mod it had was a Borla cat-back, which sounds perfect for the car. Had to drive from Southeast Missouri to Northeast Michigan to get it, but it was totally worth it for being a well kept car with records and only 39,xxx miles. Might just have to open up your search area. Don't let a cold air and exhaust turn you away unless it has a bunch of other mods as well.

2009 Liquid Red GT

Currently Enjoying : WeatherTech Floor Liners, Tein S. Tech Springs, Monroe PPV Shocks/Struts, SuperPro Polyelast Top Mounts, 19" Sport Wheels & Firehawk Indy 500 Tires, 18" GT Wheels & Continental DWS06 Tires, Subwoofer Wire Mod, Kayhan Audio Headunit, 35% Llumar Ceramic Tint, Morimoto 35W HID Kit

Soon to come: CTS-V 4 Piston Brembos, CTS-V2 Sedan Wheels

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Unread 07-09-2019, 01:17 PM Thread Starter

Looking at this tonight hopefully..what do you think of the sound? Any comments appreciated. Link to car and separate link to video. Thanks.

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...mp2&CMP=stemp2

https://photos.app.goo.gl/GXUHcAKqKeZdH4Wr8
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Unread 07-09-2019, 02:16 PM

I see some damage to the lower front bumper and I don't like that the ad description doesn't match the vehicle. Says the car has leather and the sport package of which it has neither. Not sure it is will have bluetooth either. Engine sounds healthy at least, you'll have to decide if the muffler delete is too much for your preference. Price for the mileage doesn't seem to unreasonable, maybe just a touch on the high side considering cloth interior. Be sure to drive/see it at night to see if you like the aftermarket headlight output.

2009 Liquid Red GT

Currently Enjoying : WeatherTech Floor Liners, Tein S. Tech Springs, Monroe PPV Shocks/Struts, SuperPro Polyelast Top Mounts, 19" Sport Wheels & Firehawk Indy 500 Tires, 18" GT Wheels & Continental DWS06 Tires, Subwoofer Wire Mod, Kayhan Audio Headunit, 35% Llumar Ceramic Tint, Morimoto 35W HID Kit

post #6 of 25 (permalink) Unread 07-09-2019, 02:50 PM

If you're open to a V6 model, this one is at a dealer local to me. Kinda wish it was for sale when I bought my IOM.

https://www.barlowchevrolet.com/Vehi...-NJ/3430180133

2009.5 SBM GT: Lots of show with some go.
The garage queen.

2008 IOM GT: Some go, working on the show.
The daily driver.

2004 Blazer Xtreme: Lots of go.
Sold and will be missed.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Unread 07-10-2019, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Looking at this tonight hopefully..what do you think of the sound? Any comments appreciated. Link to car and separate link to video. Thanks.

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...mp2&CMP=stemp2

https://photos.app.goo.gl/GXUHcAKqKeZdH4Wr8
I would stay away from the white car. Based on the mileage and interior wear, it doesn't seem to have been well taken care of.

2009 LR GT,Red/Onyx, Sport, Roof
Vararam, pypes headers, Borla X pipe, 2014 SS mufflers, Pat G custom cam, 3.45 Camaro diff, Powerhaus/ Sky tune
Koni yellows, H&R springs (cut dead coil), Polyelast strut bushings, BMR Toe Rods and Trailing arms, Whiteline radius rod, front lower control arm and rear cradle bushings, GXP Front Bumper and Diffuser,
Axis 18's, 255/40 (front), 275/40 (rear) Firestone Indy 500 Tires

12.29 @ 114
1.9 60 ft
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Unread 07-10-2019, 07:00 AM

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...t&CMP=atempest

Here's a pretty clean example. I would pay for a carfax report first though. Also depending on where you are in MD, I could possibly lend a hand in checking out a car with you if you wanted someone who has experience with G8's.

2009 LR GT,Red/Onyx, Sport, Roof
Vararam, pypes headers, Borla X pipe, 2014 SS mufflers, Pat G custom cam, 3.45 Camaro diff, Powerhaus/ Sky tune
Koni yellows, H&R springs (cut dead coil), Polyelast strut bushings, BMR Toe Rods and Trailing arms, Whiteline radius rod, front lower control arm and rear cradle bushings, GXP Front Bumper and Diffuser,
Axis 18's, 255/40 (front), 275/40 (rear) Firestone Indy 500 Tires

12.29 @ 114
1.9 60 ft
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Unread 07-11-2019, 12:28 PM Thread Starter

The white one was sold before I hot to see it, but happy about that, I drove up from Maryland to see it, and they were expecting me...bad review of them coming.

Thanks, I talked to them about the white one in York Pa. It was on the list, but then I found the one linked below.
Done deal, I bought it!!! Only thing i dont like are the wheels, they are 17"..why would someone do that? I like the look of one of your red G8 with black rims, it may be my first mod.
Let me know what you think, be nice. I bought it, it's in the driveway.

https://www.belfordmotors.com/pre-ow...tiac-G8/377903
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Unread 07-11-2019, 01:01 PM Thread Starter

Couple pics in the driveway
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190711_133432_1562868005070.jpg (164.2 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg 20190711_133649_1562868029756.jpg (179.8 KB, 26 views)
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Unread 07-11-2019, 01:26 PM

Congrats on the purchase, paint looks in decent shape for the mileage. I see in the pictures that those are actually snow tires, which explains why they went down to a 17". Makes them cheaper and a softer ride. I would recommend getting another set of wheels with summer tires or swap out the winter tires for all-seasons if you only want one set.

2009 Liquid Red GT

post #12 of 25 (permalink) Unread 07-11-2019, 01:36 PM Thread Starter

Snow tires, really? Changing them and wheels can be an immediate thing. Let's open the floor to recommendations. 18" or 19" first...
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Unread 07-11-2019, 02:22 PM

My preference 19s give the best mix between ride comfort and style. 20s don't have enough sidewall in my mind(if you keep the size ratio the same), 18s look a touch too small but will ride better and those are what I use for a winter set. Up to personal preference really if you find a wheel you really like.

2009 Liquid Red GT

post #14 of 25 (permalink) Unread 07-11-2019, 03:38 PM
every village has one

Welcome from Michigan!
Nice color

things are not as they appear to be.........

2009.5 LiquidRed/OnyxRed, Premium Package
e85 Surprise Package
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Unread 07-11-2019, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Couple pics in the driveway
Car looks really clean congratulations. Looks like previous owner really had a thing for chrome, wow. At-least all that stuff is reversible and not too crazy.
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Unread 07-11-2019, 05:14 PM

Welcome to the forum.

#NEVER GIVE UP
#AUDACITY OF HOPE

"Rather not run the risk of offending anyone, so let me just go ahead and offend someone". -PONY MAN

"When you write the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen". -UNKNOWN

post #17 of 25 (permalink) Unread 07-11-2019, 07:19 PM

18s ride better especially with the crap roads up here in the NE.
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Unread 07-11-2019, 11:04 PM

Welcome aboard! Glad you found one.

PBM GT W/SPORT PACK
GO:
Pat G tune
CIA: ORSSOM
EXHAUST: BADLANDZ CUT OUTS W/ X PIPE AND RESONATOR DELETE
KOOKS 1 7/8 mids and HFC's (coated)

SHOW:
PONTIAC EMBLEMS REMOVED. HOLDEN TRUNK LOGO ADDED.
TINT
post #19 of 25 (permalink) Unread 07-12-2019, 02:28 PM Thread Starter

Reversing chrome, I agree, can someone point me to how.
The interior has a wood grain thing also, it's well done, I dont hate it.

Would like to hear some wheels options, something that sticks with a Pontiac theme if that makes since.

Just ran from the Jersey Shore back to Annapolis, 200+ miles. Fun. Hit 105 mph on 95 in south jersey...
played with the Sport Shift, nice, is there any downside to using it, any wear on the trans?

I thought all GTs with Sport package had bluetooth, I dont think I do..I'll be ripping it out anyway, I want full bluetooth, if there's a backup camera option I want that also.

I've got some fairly dark tinted windows, hope the maryland coppers dont mind.
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Unread 07-12-2019, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Reversing chrome, I agree, can someone point me to how.
The interior has a wood grain thing also, it's well done, I dont hate it.

Would like to hear some wheels options, something that sticks with a Pontiac theme if that makes since.

Just ran from the Jersey Shore back to Annapolis, 200+ miles. Fun. Hit 105 mph on 95 in south jersey...
played with the Sport Shift, nice, is there any downside to using it, any wear on the trans?

I thought all GTs with Sport package had bluetooth, I dont think I do..I'll be ripping it out anyway, I want full bluetooth, if there's a backup camera option I want that also.

I've got some fairly dark tinted windows, hope the maryland coppers dont mind.
Only MY 2009.5 GT's had working bluetooth modules, you can check yours either by Vin or by looking under the car. If you see cup-cats its 2009.5 (09 had more strict enviro rules so final G8's had 4 cats instead of 2), if nothing 2009.

Trans is solid, you'll be good. Only weakness of the car is (Everything made of rubber, and DoD on the engine.)

For wheels, I honestly believe that the beauty is the eye of the beholder, so just look around at other peoples builds and see what jumps out at you.

Now for interior/extra features, you have a choice. You can go after-market (cheaper and a ton of options) or you can go somewhat OEM by importing Holden/HSV components (HSV variant of this car as well as Series 2 and 3 Holden Commodore VE SS-Vs were produced until MY 2012 so components from them would have new features, like BT, Back-up Camera, Back-up sensors, sat-nav, on-board telemetry and usb.) However anything from Aussie land will be pricey (Very few aussie businesses wanna deal with us yanks).

Only places I know where you can source Aussie parts atm, is LSXtreme dot com dot au and JHP dot com. Not sure if there are any others, hope that helps. LSX is more reasonable, while JHP is notoriously overpriced.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in