2013 in April - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-05-2009, 02:39 PM Thread Starter
Alexander Haig

2013 in April

US deliveries of G8s totaled 2013 for the month of April, 2009. No breakdown by model or how many may even have been 2008 model year. Last April, the first full sales month saw 2126.

Current total of all models of G8 delivered in the US now stands at 23990.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-05-2009, 03:01 PM

Shiny Sales Charts

Cross-posted from https://www.g8board.com/forums/showth...490#post233490

A new month with new sales numbers means new charts! I wish we could have kept that nice orange line moving upwards. Don't forget that, even though sales fell off, April 2009 was still the fourth highest month in sales since the G8 came out. Only February and March of this year beat April solidly and April of last year barely edged it out. See the end of my post for a list of the top-selling months for the G8.

First we have Pontiac G8 sales by month.

Next we have group 1 sales by month (which includes the Pontiac G8, Dodge Charger, Dodge Challenger, BMW 3-Series, BMW 5-Series, and Ford Mustang).

And last we have group 2 sales by month (which includes the Pontiac G8, Acura TL, Audi A4, Infiniti G-Coupe, Infiniti G-Sedan, and Nissan Maxima).

G8 Highest Selling Months
  1. March 09 (2939)
  2. February 09 (2705)
  3. April 08 (2126)
  4. April 09 (2013)
  5. August 08 (1915)
  6. May 08 (1831)
  7. September 08 (1651)
  8. June 08 (1536)
  9. December 08 (1479)
  10. July 08 (1472)
  11. January 09 (1331)
  12. November 08 (1133)
  13. October 08 (1082)
  14. March 08 (777)

2009.0 Pacific Slate Metallic G8 GT
(Sport + Premium)
GM Cargo Tray Covercraft Heat Shield
Painted Wheel Center Caps
Intake Cover Removed
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-05-2009, 06:14 PM

Nice charts Bob! Any thoughts on why Mustang sales spiked last month?

Norm

2009.5 SRM G8 GT
Premium, Sport & Bluetooth
Bone Stock for now

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-05-2009, 06:32 PM

Thanks, PontiacNiche. I think the 2010 Mustangs started hitting the dealerships last month, plus they celebrated the 45th anniversary of the Mustang around mid-month too. I imagine the media blitz for the anniversary helped some. I have no idea what the incentives were, so they may or may not have played a part.

2009.0 Pacific Slate Metallic G8 GT
(Sport + Premium)
GM Cargo Tray Covercraft Heat Shield
Painted Wheel Center Caps
Intake Cover Removed
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-05-2009, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PontiacNiche View Post
Nice charts Bob! Any thoughts on why Mustang sales spiked last month?

Ford is the only American company not threatening bankruptcy.

They were smart not to take any money from the Government....now they look like the stronger of the American car companies.

Mods: 160 T-Stat, Custom intake tube, Kooks 1 7/8 Mids, Borla Catback, HIDs (5000k), Tint (20%), Beyern 5 Chrome 19x8.5 wheels, Tuned by Shane
On the Way: nothing yet
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-05-2009, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GXPCatz View Post
Ford is the only American company not threatening bankruptcy.
They were smart not to take any money from the Government....now they look like the stronger of the American car companies.
They were smart enough not to *need* any money from the government. Ford mortgaged everything that didn't move just before the credit crunch hit. That was a brilliant decision by some manager at Ford.

Ford's still losing roughly 1.2 billion dollars per month. If vehicle sales don't pick up soon, Ford won't be able to pay off those loans.

Even the Japanese manufacturers are starting to feel pinched. Their sales are crappy too; they just had more money in the bank going into the slump.

Gone but not forgotten: 2009 Pontiac G8 GT, White Hot, Premium, Sport. Tune is "Down Under" by Men At Work.
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-05-2009, 08:13 PM
Master Sheep Hurdler

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteHotG8GT View Post
They were smart enough not to *need* any money from the government. Ford mortgaged everything that didn't move just before the credit crunch hit. That was a brilliant decision by some manager at Ford.

Ford's still losing roughly 1.2 billion dollars per month. If vehicle sales don't pick up soon, Ford won't be able to pay off those loans.

Even the Japanese manufacturers are starting to feel pinched. Their sales are crappy too; they just had more money in the bank going into the slump.
Toyota, Honda, Nissan, Mitsubishi and Mazda are all asking the Japanese Gov't for loans: http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com...nment-Bailout/
http://www.businessweek.com/globalbi...033_969062.htm

So GM and Chrysler aren't the only ones that got caught with their pants down around their ankles. They just make more headlines in the regular US news.

'08 G8 GT- White/Premium 395 of 888
Mods: Superchips Cortex tune; VCM OTR CAI; Baer Front BBK; BMR Adjustable Rear LCA's, Adjustable Toe Rods, Trailing Arms, Sway Bars/Sway Bar Links & Poly Strut Mounts; Pedders Front LCA's, Shocks and Poly Rear Sub-frame, Rear Upper Arm & Differential Bushings
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-05-2009, 09:32 PM
G8 GT - Sports and Pre Pg

Ford may one day be the highest selling car company in US again.

fcsuper
fcsuper's unofficial Pontiac G8 Experience
Magnetic Grey Metallic
Stock with Premium/Sports/Moonroof packages
Splash guards and a custom mix of Commodore interior trim
New in Colorado
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-05-2009, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcsuper View Post
Ford may one day be the highest selling car company in US again.
Yeah I see 2000 more douchebags bought Mustangs from March to April. It's funny because Car and Driver and Motor Trend have also been on the Mustang's nuts recently(2010 Mustangs).
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-06-2009, 03:04 AM

To put this in perspective, the 94-96 Impala SS had 66,886 produced through its lifetime.

Panther Black 2008 G8GT Premium & Sport Package.
Vararam, Vector powerflash tune.
post #11 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-06-2009, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sluggz View Post
To put this in perspective, the 94-96 Impala SS had 66,886 produced through its lifetime.
I believe that was just the SS Impala, not even counting the caprice. I would like to see a breakdown of how many of each model of G8s were sold. In contrast, does anyone know the final tally on the 04-06 GTO run? That may give us some insight on the G8. Used GTO's are gong from 12k -up depending on condition,year, and mileage

2009 LR Pontiac G8 GT
Premium PKG/Sunroof

Mods:
Performance: SuperChips Custom Tune, GXP Exhaust
Appearence: DDM HID 35W 5000K, GXPDifuser, 20% Tint
Coming Soon: Rotofab CAI
post #12 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-06-2009, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatFreakBob View Post
Thanks, PontiacNiche. I think the 2010 Mustangs started hitting the dealerships last month, plus they celebrated the 45th anniversary of the Mustang around mid-month too. I imagine the media blitz for the anniversary helped some. I have no idea what the incentives were, so they may or may not have played a part.

I just test-drove a Mustang a couple days ago for comparison (it sucked). 45th ann. 2010's just hit showrooms, all 2010's will have special 45th ann badges. Incentives available on the 09's, not the 10's.

I never knew this, but just learned that Ford actually runs the model year differently for the Mustang - they always get the new model year into showrooms at the start of summer, because summer's when they sell. Incentives typically kick in in winter and carry into spring.
post #13 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-26-2009, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonewolfz28 View Post
Toyota, Honda, Nissan, Mitsubishi and Mazda are all asking the Japanese Gov't for loans: http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com...nment-Bailout/
http://www.businessweek.com/globalbi...033_969062.htm

So GM and Chrysler aren't the only ones that got caught with their pants down around their ankles. They just make more headlines in the regular US news.
Yes, here was a reply I wrote to someone on another board when Toyota posted their $7.7 billion QUARTERLY LOSS and they defended it as just an issue with exchange rates:

Now if since 1950 the Japanese Yen had never spiked or sank in relation to the global currencies in the markets they were in, I would happily agree with the spin either you or the writers at Morningstar are applying to these results.

However through the US recession of 1972, 1981, the regional recession of 1986, 1991, and 2000, along with Japan's own woes through most of the 90's and early 2000's Toyota, despite all the swings in global currency still found a way to make a profit.

Here are some cold hard facts. Toyota's global manufacturing capacity gives it the ability to build 10.0 million vehicles a year.

Toyota predicts it will build 6.68 million vehicles in 2009. Now this is really simple math, Toyota has excess manufacturing capacity globally of 33.2%.

ACK! That's positvely Detroit grade excess capacity.

But, but, but, how did this happen? How could have this happened? Well Fitch put it best on November 25, 2008 when they cut Toyota's credit rating. The first of three cuts that have happened in the last six months. Now admittedly losing your AAA credit rating isn't a "bad" thing in the big picture, but this is the part Fitch got right:

...The car manufacturer's heavy reliance on U.S. demand, which may not rebound for a several years and is not completely offset by emerging markets sales, made its outlook more negative, Fitch said. It also suffered from its decision to expand in the pickup truck and sport utility vehicle markets--with gas prices having spiked over the summer...

Wait a minute, Fitch is talking about General Motors right? Over reliance on U.S. demand? Decisions to build trucks and SUVs? No - this is Toyota.

But, but, but, but, now you're telling me Toyota has excess manufacturing capacity of 33.2%, their product mix is truck and SUV dependent, and they are not diversified enough in emerging markets. THIS CAN'T BE!!! Lies! It's vicious lies!

Lets look at Toyota's factories they've built in North America since 2006:

Toyota Sequoia & Toyota Tundra: San Antonio, Texas
Toyota RAV4: Ontario Canada
Toyota Highlander: Orginally slated for Blue Springs, Mississippi, factory is on hold indefinitely and now built in Princeton, Indiana
Toyota V8 Engine Factory: Huntsville, Alabama

So lets recap, four factories/production lines added since 2006 in North America and all of them to build SUVs or pickup trucks, including the worst fleet economy pickup trucks money can buy in North America. There is so much over capacity, that Toyota employees are taking classes on corporate history, tending the flower beds at San Antonio, and doing other general busy work. And they are doing this at full pay and benefits because Toyota has vowed not to layoff any US employees. However that vow to the 33,000 workers is thin, as buyouts were offered to 18K employees on February 13, 2009, with exception to the UAW workers that work for Toyota. You did know that NUMMI in Long Beach is staffed with UAW workers, right?

And back to the subject of trucks, lets not forget that Toyota also brought the FJ Cruiser to North America in late 2006 as a 2007 model, with its Hummer H3 class MPG.

But, but, but, but, but. Now you're telling me that Toyota has 33.2% excess manufacturing capacity, is overly reliant on North American sales, invested too heaviliy in truck and SUV production in the last five years, is trying to shed up to half of its US workforce, except those UAW employees???

But wait, there is more. From this November 26, 2008, BusinessWeek article, Toyota was still stating it would make a profit for their fiscal year. Instead they suffered a multi-billion dollar loss, a loss that Toyota expects now to accelerate through their 2010 fiscal year.

So let me get this straight then. Toyota has 33.2% excess manufacturing capacity.

Yes

Toyota is overly reliant in the North American market for profits?

Yes

Toyota invested far to heavily in gas guzzling trucks and SUVs over the last decade?

Surprise - yes.

Toyota has workers essentially, "job banked," who do minor tasks or training while receiving full pay and wages, they aren't building cars or trucks?

Yes

Toyota is trying to buyout up to half of its US workforce while retaining the UAW workers they have contracts with?

Yes

Toyota apparently couldn't accurately forecast out just four months of corporate performance?

Yes

And this goes back to my original point. You dismiss Toyota's quarterly loss for the period of Jan 1 to Mar 31 as something related to exchange rates. But there have been other recessions. There have been other times when the Yen was weak and the dollar was strong.

But if it was JUST a Yen vs. Dollar, Yen vs. Pound Sterling, Yen vs. Euro, Yen vs. CAD, etc. etc. issue, then why are there all these other issues.

And these issues I've pointed out are conspiracy theory blogs. They aren't from the South Park "'dey terk err jebs" fan website. My resources are Fitch, Bloomberg, BusinessWeek, New York Times, and Forbes. These are pretty respected organizations and none of the material I provided or quotes is "opinion and editorial," content but just raw facts.

How on earth did even Toyota get it so wrong (while Honda on the other hand got it so right). If it was just an exchange rate issue then why on earth did Toyota go on a manufacturing production building spree over the last decade, which is now dragging down the balance sheet with 1/3 of their manufacturing capacity not needed (never mind the NUMMI deal they have with GM or the joint production deal with Subaru, which adds further capacity that is no longer needed). How could they have added so much capacity on trucks and SUVs? How did they get that so wrong?

But that is the point. They did get it wrong. To then wrap Toyota up in a warm fuzzy blanket and say, "well it was exchange rates and that is why," is not by any stretch looking at the big picture of WHY Toyota lost $7.7 billion in ONE QUARTER. And this is a company that hasn't lost a penny since 1950 - talk about amazing, how many publicly traded companies today can claim adding to shareholder equity since 1950. That is impressive, no? So why all of a sudden not a bump, but a calamity.

Any company facing 1/3 excess capacity, idled workers making full pay and benefits, a wrong product mix, and over reliance in damaged, saturated markets is on a path of having problems? No? Would you really say no to that?

The difference between GM and Toyota? Toyota has a mountain of cash, GM doesn't.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

0 - 50 MPH: 3.40 seconds
0 - 60 MPH: 5.01 seconds
1/4 Mile: 13.367 @ 105.25 MPH 2.021 60'

'05 Saturn Relay FWD3 weather beater 158K
post #14 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-26-2009, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh_4184 View Post
I believe that was just the SS Impala, not even counting the caprice. I would like to see a breakdown of how many of each model of G8s were sold. In contrast, does anyone know the final tally on the 04-06 GTO run? That may give us some insight on the G8. Used GTO's are gong from 12k -up depending on condition,year, and mileage
GM was selling well over 100K Grand Prix's a year, and combined with Bonneville sales (the two cars the G8 replaced) pushed 200K plus a few years through the 2000's. From a sales point the G8 has been a disaster. Personally I don't get it - I think it is one of the best sedans money can buy. It hauls groceries and hauls ass, and can lay waste to cars 2X its price.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

0 - 50 MPH: 3.40 seconds
0 - 60 MPH: 5.01 seconds
1/4 Mile: 13.367 @ 105.25 MPH 2.021 60'

'05 Saturn Relay FWD3 weather beater 158K
post #15 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-26-2009, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefpontiac View Post
US deliveries of G8s totaled 2013 for the month of April, 2009. No breakdown by model or how many may even have been 2008 model year. Last April, the first full sales month saw 2126.

Current total of all models of G8 delivered in the US now stands at 23990.

So let's get this straight.....23990 cars split up throughout the US....If I calculated correctly, that's about 480 cars per State (not including territories). And of course some of us in Smaller states will probably have significantly less than that....Wow....talk about being a part of a privileged group....gotta love our G8's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #16 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-27-2009, 04:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G8Silbllt View Post
So let's get this straight.....23990 cars split up throughout the US....If I calculated correctly, that's about 480 cars per State (not including territories). And of course some of us in Smaller states will probably have significantly less than that....Wow....talk about being a part of a privileged group....gotta love our G8's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I wonder if there is a way to find out how many have been sold in each state
post #17 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-27-2009, 07:51 AM

I'm more curious to see the breakdown of color and type of G8 (V6, GT, GXP)...
post #18 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-27-2009, 08:05 AM

I agreed.. I got a PSM GXP. That seems pretty rare.

Current:
2011 CTSV coupe

Past:
2009 G8 GXP cammed and blown
post #19 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-27-2009, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle09GT View Post
GM was selling well over 100K Grand Prix's a year, and combined with Bonneville sales (the two cars the G8 replaced) pushed 200K plus a few years through the 2000's. From a sales point the G8 has been a disaster. Personally I don't get it - I think it is one of the best sedans money can buy. It hauls groceries and hauls ass, and can lay waste to cars 2X its price.
Most people who don't follow Pontiac or GM don't know anythign about this car. I purchased a G8 GT this spring and when I tell people about it, very few knew anything about it or that it existed. Even with a great car if it is not marketed right, it isn't going to sell.
post #20 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-27-2009, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnosyt View Post
Most people who don't follow Pontiac or GM don't know anythign about this car. I purchased a G8 GT this spring and when I tell people about it, very few knew anything about it or that it existed. Even with a great car if it is not marketed right, it isn't going to sell.
I get the same thing sadly. Everyone loves it when I show them the car but nobody has really ever heard of them... Oh well. I really enjoy it and that's all that matters!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page