"8 vs. 5" Commercial on TV 4/5/08 - Page 2 - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 106 (permalink) Old 04-09-2008, 08:52 AM

With the exception of the fan boys, they at least seem to understand that the g8 is a nice car.

Funny, how they think that just b/c it's 70k dollars it's automatically faster. **** I can buy a p.o.s integra and put a turbo and other mods in it and it'd be faster than a 5 series. Cost does not equal speed.

2009.5 G8GT Premium OnyxRed Interior
corsa catback, vararam intake, cortex tune
custom audio, sharksfin, HIDs, LED Fogs, 20" MRR GT1's, Kayhan headunit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 106 (permalink) Old 04-09-2008, 10:07 AM

My dad told me how they did that with the Lincoln LS. They pulled all badges and had Lexus (as well as other premium brand owners) drive the car etc. They all loved it, said it was great, they would buy one - until they said it was a Lincoln, then they said they would never buy one because it wasn't that nice. These people will never change their mind...

[QUOTE=BlueGoat;29613] It would be interesting to build a car with the G8's specs, rebadge it to BMW logo and put a $60,000 price tag on it. Many would buy it for the prestige of having a car costing that much.
post #23 of 106 (permalink) Old 04-09-2008, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by longtaddy View Post
Look at this post:

"How DARE they compare their peasant-mobile to my magnificent German car? I laugh heartily at their pathetic australian sedan. I dread that the owners of these motor carriages (who lack a reasoning faculty and probably an immortal soul) would see fit to attempt a conversation with me whist I am piloting my Bavarian wonder-wagon. If he should do so then i will surely have a hearty guffaw at his expense."

You think those pencil neck geeks in their 60 grand pretty boy wagons have their panties in a bunch???!!!
When I read this, I imagined it being spoken by the guy with the ridiculous French accent in Monty Python and the Holy Grail.

2008 Grand Prix GXP

post #24 of 106 (permalink) Old 04-09-2008, 10:34 AM
2006 GTO Black/Red

Comments

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikings_70 View Post
I lol'd. The fact that its got all those guys dropping 60k on their cars all wound up is proof that there is something to this marketing campaign. Many of them realize the G8 is an amazingly well performing machine, for half the cost of their cars, and they accept that. Others make ridiculous comments like this, similar to an 8 year old.
Some of the comments are so off the wall I think they must be planted or staged. They CAN'T be for real, can they????Are these guys rolling around in Beemers really THAT insecure? This is very revealing!!
post #25 of 106 (permalink) Old 04-09-2008, 10:43 AM
2006 GTO Black/Red

Holden

Anyone driving a Holden can be just as passionate as all the jerks in the BMW crowd. And they are, just look at the dialog on the sister site ls1gto.com. The only difference is we're passionate and we still have our money in our pocket!
post #26 of 106 (permalink) Old 04-09-2008, 11:30 AM

Who is posing over there as RickyBobby? ILMAO . Bull***** talks, The G8 WALKS! All over their asses. Test drove a GTO 6.0 6 Speed Standard Yesterday. All I can say is WOOWWWWW! What a machine!

Last edited by 4doorvett; 04-09-2008 at 11:32 AM.
post #27 of 106 (permalink) Old 04-09-2008, 11:57 AM
2006 GTO Black/Red

Another Hot Quote

Here is another gem:

"On second thought, after viewing that commercial, pontiac is annoying and i hope their marketing people realise how retarded their whole approach is. If only they sold it as a holden commodore... the front end of that looks better too."

If I paid $60K for a 5 series and saw a G8 coming up behind me, I would probably get a little pissy too.
post #28 of 106 (permalink) Old 04-09-2008, 12:18 PM
Cantankerous Old Fart

I went to Discount Tire yesterday in my GT to try to get something worked out on a spare tire. All the pimply-faced grease monkeys and a couple of the customers were very inquisitive and complimentary towards the car.

BMW 3- and 5-series are a dime a dozen around here and no one thinks they're special, much less gives them a second look, except the people who are still making payments on 'em.
post #29 of 106 (permalink) Old 04-09-2008, 12:34 PM

Here's someone from the Beemer board who gets it:

"The funny thing is that there really is no pleasing the people on this forum. If you asked the average BF.c member what the "perfect new car" would be (besides a remade E30 of course... ), the answer would probably somewhere along the lines of an E60 550i with more conservative styling, no iDrive, and half the price of what it's selling. The G8 is exactly this. Haters need to sit down. Good job, Pontiac, for making a car that average people and enthusiasts can enjoy (and afford)."

Couldn't have said it better myself!
post #30 of 106 (permalink) Old 04-09-2008, 12:36 PM

now when a GXP can knock down an M5, using only bolt-on mods. then I'll really smile
post #31 of 106 (permalink) Old 04-09-2008, 12:45 PM

I think this commercial hit the nail on the head.

1. Its raw facts, showing why the G8 can compete with the 5 series.
2. Its got BMW fans panties all up in a bunch!
3. The G8 is now officially on the map and being talked about on forums everywhere, from domestic to import forums.

Hats off GM, and their marketing firms!

Future G8tor owner.

Last edited by superNoid; 04-09-2008 at 01:04 PM.
post #32 of 106 (permalink) Old 04-09-2008, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by longtaddy View Post
Trust me...they won't. If they acknowledge you, they have to admit they paid about double what they needed to. They will mess with you on the highway though...
Exactly right. Imagine you are a well paid professional (doc, lawyer, MBA, etc.) and you view yourself as being smarter than all the rest of the population. Then the biggest purchase you made next to your vacation house turns out to have been paying an extra $30-40K for wood interior trim and I-drive. You look a bit foolish, which makes it hard to keep your smugness up.

The 5-series boys are going to learn to HATE the G8!
post #33 of 106 (permalink) Old 04-09-2008, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by superNoid View Post
I think this commercial hit the nail on the head.

1. Its raw facts, showing why the G8 can compete to the 5 series.
2. Its got BMW fans panties all up in a bunch!
3. The G8 is now officially on the map and being talked about on forums everywhere, from domestic to import forums.

Hats off GM, and their marketing firms!
Amen, nothing like deposing the king to get attention. This add is WAY better than the cartoon game one in terms of getting the job done.
post #34 of 106 (permalink) Old 04-09-2008, 01:06 PM

[QUOTE=NVR2FST;29665]My dad told me how they did that with the Lincoln LS. They pulled all badges and had Lexus (as well as other premium brand owners) drive the car etc. They all loved it, said it was great, they would buy one - until they said it was a Lincoln, then they said they would never buy one because it wasn't that nice. These people will never change their mind...

They will, but only when it starts to look foolish to spend $60-70K on car matched by a $30K one. Remember they will hate feeling outsmarted.

They can't even argue styling since the Bangled styling of the BMW is clearly ugly, while the G8 is what the BMW should have looked like in the first place.
post #35 of 106 (permalink) Old 04-09-2008, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G8>550i View Post
Amen, nothing like deposing the king to get attention. This add is WAY better than the cartoon game one in terms of getting the job done.
Those two ads were targeting totally different segments of the market.

The spyhunter commercial was specifically targeted at the mid 30's crowd who played that game and loved it. Now a very well priced performance car is associated with the game they loved. It got my blood racing and I already owned a G8.

The 8 vs. 5 commercial was targeting those that admire the performance aspects of the 5 series but dont want to be associated with the "stuck up" persona and/or can't or are not willing to spend that amount of money on a car. The ad shows that the 5 is a great car in a lot of ways, but so is the G8 and it cost's a LOT less.

2008 PBM/Onyx G8 GT #315 of 888
Custom Magnaflow Catback with X-Pipe, VMS ECM/TCM tune, ROTO-FAB CAI, VMS HSRK
post #36 of 106 (permalink) Old 04-09-2008, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dovi View Post
Those two ads were targeting totally different segments of the market.

The spyhunter commercial was specifically targeted at the mid 30's crowd who played that game and loved it. Now a very well priced performance car is associated with the game they loved. It got my blood racing and I already owned a G8.

The 8 vs. 5 commercial was targeting those that admire the performance aspects of the 5 series but dont want to be associated with the "stuck up" persona and/or can't or are not willing to spend that amount of money on a car. The ad shows that the 5 is a great car in a lot of ways, but so is the G8 and it cost's a LOT less.
yeah I know, but I think you will get much more buzz (free word of mouth advertising) from the 8 v. 5 commercial. Plus, sounding like a snobby BMW owner, you could argue that not all video game freaks are going to have the $$$ to buy a G8.
post #37 of 106 (permalink) Old 04-09-2008, 01:43 PM

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...=976090&page=2

Scroll down to the post by Japhos, with the YouTube comparison of the XVR8 Vauxhall to MB, BMW competition. Awesome video!!!!!
post #38 of 106 (permalink) Old 04-09-2008, 01:49 PM
Cantankerous Old Fart

Let's face it - the G8 and the BMWs attract different types of owners.

First let's note that BMWs are fine cars with excellent driving dynamics.

BMW owners are willing to pay extra for perceived brand cachet and the high costs of ownership that invariably follow. Not to paint with too broad a brush, but not too many of them are gearheads or particularly performance-oriented. They just want a "fine" car and are willing to pay for the extrinsic and intrinsic qualities that go with the brand. Nothing wrong with that.

When you start attacking the intangible qualities of BMWs you're gonna start getting all their panties in a wad because you are attacking their emotional investments. It's kinda like religion, ya know.

G8 owners are, I think, more concerned about outright performance and upgradability than spending an extra $20K to get a certain badge.

It's all good.

I'm still looking forward to the spankings.
post #39 of 106 (permalink) Old 04-09-2008, 02:19 PM
Flying at low altitude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaphod B View Post
Let's face it - the G8 and the BMWs attract different types of owners.

First let's note that BMWs are fine cars with excellent driving dynamics.

BMW owners are willing to pay extra for perceived brand cachet and the high costs of ownership that invariably follow. Not to paint with too broad a brush, but not too many of them are gearheads or particularly performance-oriented. They just want a "fine" car and are willing to pay for the extrinsic and intrinsic qualities that go with the brand. Nothing wrong with that.

When you start attacking the intangible qualities of BMWs you're gonna start getting all their panties in a wad because you are attacking their emotional investments. It's kinda like religion, ya know.

G8 owners are, I think, more concerned about outright performance and upgradability than spending an extra $20K to get a certain badge.

It's all good.

I'm still looking forward to the spankings.
Your 100% correct
Congrats GM..........

Last edited by need4spd; 04-10-2008 at 01:14 AM.
post #40 of 106 (permalink) Old 04-09-2008, 03:41 PM
Cantankerous Old Fart

BMW 550i specs:

Weight = 3950 lbs
Engine = 4.8L V-8
Horsepower = 360 @ 6300 rpm
Torque = 360 ft-lbs @ 3500 rpm
MSRP = $58,500

So the baddest 5-Series (that's not an M5) is lighter by 50 pounds and down 25 ft-lbs of torque, and up about $28,000.

Hee, hee, you could buy two G8s!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page