"8 vs. 5" Commercial on TV 4/5/08 - Page 3 - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 106 (permalink) Old 04-09-2008, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sluggz View Post
It certainly has stirred up the bimmer forums.

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...d.php?t=976090
I can't believe how many messages the topic has spawned on the Bimmer forum!!!! The commercial obviously touched a nerve!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 106 (permalink) Old 04-09-2008, 06:22 PM
G6 GT~GP GT~G8 GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attorneyguy View Post
I can't believe how many messages the topic has spawned on the Bimmer forum!!!! The commercial obviously touched a nerve!
Proof that the advertising is working. Getting a community like that to be so upset by a American made vehicle says something. And I think its important to point out, the target of this advertisment isn't 5 series owners or potential buyers as much as it is 1 series, and charger buyers. If a G8 competes with a five series, why on earth would I want a piddly charger R/T?

'07 Grand Prix Supercharged GT Special Edition

2010 Victory Red Camaro 2SS ordered...
post #43 of 106 (permalink) Old 04-09-2008, 06:49 PM

I think they need to start showing this ad, and more like it in prime time.. and not stop. In just a few days this ad has caused so much stir and buzz on the net its crazy.

Some laugh, some roll their eyes but some scratch their chin. I think all of which draw attention to the new model, the new Pontiac image and its exactly what marketing was hoping for.

Future G8tor owner.

post #44 of 106 (permalink) Old 04-09-2008, 07:59 PM

I loved this commercial. Don't be fooled, bimmer lovers know exactly what the G8 is. They know because they're "enthusiasts" and they read everything about cars. Problem is that they're fed up with reading more about the G8 for the last several months than their beloved chariots. Haha.

My new GT just clocked 500 miles today, so I'm approaching bimmer busting phase. Can't wait. Have to admit that I've been bad a couple times, and it feels oooohhhh sooooo good.
post #45 of 106 (permalink) Old 04-09-2008, 08:06 PM
HLDN ON

I would love to dust a bimmer. God knows I have tried over the past few days (hit the 2000 mile mark). But the BMW owners around me seem clueless to the G8 or maybe they are "too refined" to give the BMW all of their right foot. Then again, I think like a cheapskate and if I had 60 g's invested in a factory tuned car I too would probably be light on the accelerator. But I will continue to hunt unsuspecting 5 series...

08 G8 GT #150/888 MGM, Magnaflow Catback, Pedders Track II, Firehawk Wheels, 1st Gen CTSV Front Calipers and Rotors
12 Yukon Denali
98 2wd Two Door Tahoe - 3/5 drop 20" Coys C57s, SSBC Front brake kit, LS-swap in progress
70 C10 SWB - Cammed LT1, 18" Boss 338's, Bagged, Original Rust
post #46 of 106 (permalink) Old 04-09-2008, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cashed View Post
I would love to dust a bimmer. God knows I have tried over the past few days (hit the 2000 mile mark). But the BMW owners around me seem clueless to the G8 or maybe they are "too refined" to give the BMW all of their right foot. Then again, I think like a cheapskate and if I had 60 g's invested in a factory tuned car I too would probably be light on the accelerator. But I will continue to hunt unsuspecting 5 series...
I live in southern California, and here 5 series are a dime a dozen. 3 series are pretty much like Honda Civics, money is large. I've seen about 5 G8 GTs and everytime they zip by.. heads turn.

I think around here the average 5 series owner isn't an enthusiast, but rather a soccer mom on her way to Newport Beach. The nice thing is, M5s are very abundant, along with other high end sports machines. I would give ANYTHING to have a GXP and go hunting in my area.

I would eat the living ***** out of most, and respectfully acknowledge the loss to the rest... all the while grinning ear to ear.

Future G8tor owner.
post #47 of 106 (permalink) Old 04-10-2008, 06:55 AM

All this commotion is ruining my favorite weapon -- stealth. I don't go out hunting for a kill, but if the deer walks by the tree stand while I'm resting ......

That's one of the reasons I love my GTO -- looks to most non-gearheads like a GrandAm. I'm finding it a bit harder to hide in the G8 because mine came in RED and it shines like a jewel in a goat's butt, (except it's been raining for two days now) so you can't hide at stop lights. I get a lot of looks, but no chances to run -- yet. Still only have 200 miles on the clock, so wouldn't anyway.

Looking at drivers beside me, the first thing they see is that big 19" wheel and the flared fender. Then they do a double-take, usually slow down a bit and let me slide by so they can check out the rest of the car. I expect to be stopped any day now because I live in a 2-tag state and I had the dealer leave the #[email protected]^ plate holder off the front of my car and put it in the trunk.

Not as many BMWs down here in Ozark land because there aren't any dealers in town, but there are a few Mercs -- mostly the little overpriced econoboxes.

'05 IBM GTO M6
'08 G8 GT A6 Liquid Red/Onyx
post #48 of 106 (permalink) Old 04-10-2008, 07:12 AM
2006 GTO Black/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikings_70 View Post
Proof that the advertising is working. Getting a community like that to be so upset by a American made vehicle says something. And I think its important to point out, the target of this advertisment isn't 5 series owners or potential buyers as much as it is 1 series, and charger buyers. If a G8 competes with a five series, why on earth would I want a piddly charger R/T?
Great Point! It adds up because I can't recall the bimmer crowd getting all worked up over a charger. Unless I just wasn't paying attention.
post #49 of 106 (permalink) Old 04-10-2008, 10:06 AM
Cantankerous Old Fart

I harried a 550i and an M3 on the way home last night. It was raining for good measure. (Have you guys noticed how well the G8 handles itself in the rain?)

The 550i was being driven by a 50-ish lady with no clue, much less a sense of sport, so no go there.

The guy in the M3 kept breaking his back end loose on the wet pavement (don't those things have some kind of traction control?) and he wouldn't play, either.

It's hard to have good, clean fun sometimes!
post #50 of 106 (permalink) Old 04-10-2008, 10:08 AM
G6 GT~GP GT~G8 GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaphod B View Post
I harried a 550i and an M3 on the way home last night. It was raining for good measure. (Have you guys noticed how well the G8 handles itself in the rain?)

The 550i was being driven by a 50-ish lady with no clue, much less a sense of sport, so no go there.

The guy in the M3 kept breaking his back end loose on the wet pavement (don't those things have some kind of traction control?) and he wouldn't play, either.

It's hard to have good, clean fun sometimes!
It always seems you run into the best potential victims when the road is soaked!

'07 Grand Prix Supercharged GT Special Edition

2010 Victory Red Camaro 2SS ordered...
post #51 of 106 (permalink) Old 04-10-2008, 10:28 AM
Cantankerous Old Fart

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikings_70 View Post
It always seems you run into the best potential victims when the road is soaked!
Well, I was willing to play.

I claim 2 kills by default!
post #52 of 106 (permalink) Old 04-10-2008, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Well, I was willing to play.

I claim 2 kills by default!
I'd love to see little blue and white BMW kill circles on the side of a G8 for fun. That would really get the goat of Bimmer owners who are trying to ignore the car.
post #53 of 106 (permalink) Old 04-10-2008, 01:17 PM
Cantankerous Old Fart

Quote:
Originally Posted by G8>550i View Post
I'd love to see little blue and white BMW kill circles on the side of a G8 for fun. That would really get the goat of Bimmer owners who are trying to ignore the car.
Oh yeah, the little roundel surrounded by a fat red circle with a diagonal slash through it.....
post #54 of 106 (permalink) Old 04-10-2008, 01:33 PM
Cynical A$$hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sluggz View Post
It certainly has stirred up the bimmer forums.

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...d.php?t=976090
Let the Games Begin!!!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
GXP #807
MSM/Onyx A6 w/Roof

Purchased: 5/29/09

Mods:
CTS Auto-Dim Mirror, Homelink in Visor, Triple Atari Gauges, Garmin Nuvi 1450, Hawk Ceramic Pads, Roto-Fab, 35% Tint, ClearBra, Video In Park, VMR V710 19's, SLP Springs, Full BMR Bushing kit, BMR Trailing Arms, BMR Sways, BMR Toe Rods, BMR Adjustable End links, BP Catchcan, VG Sharkfin, LED Interior/Trunk/Glovebox Ambient Lighting, SLP Lip Spoiler, iPad Ram Mount
post #55 of 106 (permalink) Old 04-10-2008, 02:05 PM
Cantankerous Old Fart

How's this?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bmw-kill.jpg (15.0 KB, 98 views)
post #56 of 106 (permalink) Old 04-10-2008, 02:08 PM
Cantankerous Old Fart

I can't figure out how to get images to post inline. If one of you fine gents could do so for me.....
post #57 of 106 (permalink) Old 04-10-2008, 02:11 PM

post #58 of 106 (permalink) Old 04-10-2008, 02:14 PM
Cantankerous Old Fart

Thanks! You like?
post #59 of 106 (permalink) Old 04-10-2008, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Thanks! You like?
It's pretty funny. Here in about an hour or so you are going to see 100 members using it as their avatar. LOL
post #60 of 106 (permalink) Old 04-10-2008, 02:19 PM
Cantankerous Old Fart

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodson914 View Post
It's pretty funny. Here in about an hour or so you are going to see 100 members using it as their avatar. LOL
Excellent! (As long as I get royalties.... )
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page