"8 vs. 5" Commercial on TV 4/5/08 - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 106 (permalink) Old 04-05-2008, 11:54 AM Thread Starter

"8 vs. 5" Commercial on TV 4/5/08

Tonight during Game 2 of the NCAA Tournament. Pontiac will air the 8 vs 5 commercial.

YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 106 (permalink) Old 04-05-2008, 12:01 PM
I can haz Horsepower?

LOL

Monday can't come soon enough! My black on black G8 awaits!
post #3 of 106 (permalink) Old 04-06-2008, 07:19 AM
Son of a Dealer

I saw it last night while I was watching the Kansas / UNC Game before I saw this post. I was cracking up, it was pretty good.

post #4 of 106 (permalink) Old 04-06-2008, 07:57 AM

Garage
This is the best one yet!

Joe Morgan, G8 GXP Registry Organizer, G.O.N.E. Organizer 2010-2013
2009.5 G8 GXP WH 6M onyx/red no roof 12.921 @ 108.89 BONE STOCK! (then), 12.344 @ 110.92 with 1.688 60' at 766' DA, PB with new cam & tune - 12.191 @ 112.35 with 1.693 60' at 1319', 2:59 lap time at Road America on RS-As, 143.1298 mph NoFlyZoneMidwest 2017 1/2 mile into 20 mph headwind. RACECAR NOW RETIRED. All of these are final PBs.

VCM OTR CAI, HSRK, Heater Hose Relocate, custom street/dyno tune by oldskoolgp, Comp Cams 224/228 .581"/.588" 112 LSA cam, LS7 lifters, PAC 1219x springs, Monster LT1S (C7 Corvette) Clutch kit, Katech C6 Hvy Dty Master & Slave Cylinders, Camaro 1LE Diff with 3.91 gears, Kooks LTHs, Solo Hi-Flo Cats & Connector Pipes, Solo Mach Balanced Catback, BMR Toe Rods, Trailing Arms, Cradle & Diff Poly Bushings, 2017 Chevy SS front & rear Brembo calipers and rotors.
1 of only 10 built in this combo (1 of 4 this combo with RS-As)& #1497 built of the 1829
post #5 of 106 (permalink) Old 04-06-2008, 08:02 AM

I bet a lot of people missed it because of how bad Kansas beat UNC. What a shame. Unless it played at the beginning. I missed it. So I am not sure where they aired it. That would have definitely caught peoples attention and stirred up some controversy.

Last edited by dodson914; 04-06-2008 at 08:08 AM.
post #6 of 106 (permalink) Old 04-06-2008, 01:18 PM

hello Zero Punctuation
post #7 of 106 (permalink) Old 04-06-2008, 02:06 PM

The insanity... I absolutely loved it. LOL!!!
post #8 of 106 (permalink) Old 04-06-2008, 08:00 PM

Yeah, saw it in a motel room on the way back from Phoenix yesterday while watching the game. Priceless, but I wonder how many people will get it, certainly not the BMW worshipers. Mine arrived the day after I left for vacation and I pick it up tomorrow.

Any of you driving a gray G8 in Amarillo last night around 6:10PM on I-40?

'05 IBM GTO M6
'08 G8 GT A6 Liquid Red/Onyx
post #9 of 106 (permalink) Old 04-06-2008, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueGoat View Post
Yeah, saw it in a motel room on the way back from Phoenix yesterday while watching the game. Priceless, but I wonder how many people will get it, certainly not the BMW worshipers. Mine arrived the day after I left for vacation and I pick it up tomorrow.

Any of you driving a gray G8 in Amarillo last night around 6:10PM on I-40?
Was that yours? Whoops........oh well you probably won't notice...I mean it is hard to see and all.
post #10 of 106 (permalink) Old 04-08-2008, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike c View Post
I saw it last night while I was watching the Kansas / UNC Game before I saw this post. I was cracking up, it was pretty good.
yeah same here. I thought it was an internet only add. They spared no love for bmw...

2009.5 G8GT Premium OnyxRed Interior
corsa catback, vararam intake, cortex tune
custom audio, sharksfin, HIDs, LED Fogs, 20" MRR GT1's, Kayhan headunit
post #11 of 106 (permalink) Old 04-08-2008, 03:33 PM
2006 GTO Black/Red

Beemer Buys Are Stuck Up

The beemer guys are going to think it is just another sign of why they are STUCK UP there, and everyone else is down here.
post #12 of 106 (permalink) Old 04-08-2008, 04:30 PM
Cantankerous Old Fart

Quote:
Originally Posted by longtaddy View Post
The beemer guys are going to think it is just another sign of why they are STUCK UP there, and everyone else is down here.
I'm looking forward to my first 5-series kill sticker.
post #13 of 106 (permalink) Old 04-08-2008, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaphod B View Post
I'm looking forward to my first 5-series kill sticker.
Won't know what hit 'em.

But getting burned a few times will educate those Beemer owners fast.
post #14 of 106 (permalink) Old 04-08-2008, 05:29 PM
Cantankerous Old Fart

Quote:
Originally Posted by G8>550i View Post
Won't know what hit 'em.

But getting burned a few times will educate those Beemer owners fast.
So far (with a couple of exceptions) the Bimmer owners around here - and they are numerous - have not deigned to acknowledge my presence.

Couple hundred more miles on the clock and I'm going hunting.
post #15 of 106 (permalink) Old 04-09-2008, 04:22 AM

It certainly has stirred up the bimmer forums.

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...d.php?t=976090

Panther Black 2008 G8GT Premium & Sport Package.
Vararam, Vector powerflash tune.
post #16 of 106 (permalink) Old 04-09-2008, 06:46 AM

Yeah, I read a few screens of their comments. I guess what bothers me is that so many drivers of imports (especially) seem to equate price with quality with total disregard to the specs. As my financial advisor has told be when considering a purchase, "it isn't how much it costs, it's how much it's worth." It would be interesting to build a car with the G8's specs, rebadge it to BMW logo and put a $60,000 price tag on it. Many would buy it for the prestige of having a car costing that much. I'm always fascinated by those who say their favorite (you fill in the blank) blows the (you fill in the blank) away without any specific example of superiority other than personal opinion (C&D Jan '05 issue is a prime example of such blatant bias). But then they do pay those big prices to be seen as "superior" as they perceive it, and it really is difficult to admit you made a big mistake at that price, or that a lesser priced car really does out-spec your status symbol.

In the past, U.S. manufacturing mentality has been toward size, comfort (soft ride) and price, with few exceptions. We have always been the last to incorporate better technology into our cars (IRS, OHCs, disc brakes, radial tires, fuel injection, etc.) because the U.S. buying public has been brain-washed into the bi-annual sheet metal changes from the 60's rather than innovation and handling. After all, look at European topography and roads....single lane, twisty, narrow.....and high fuel prices. That has forced the Euro-cars into their own handling mold.

The U.S. performance mentality went the other way with double lane roads after WWII (the Eisenhower interstate highway projects) and long range driving comfort. This gave us the original muscle cars (GTO, hemi GTX, etc.), drag racing and NASCAR as the performance standards and the rolling couches from Buick and Cadillac and Lincoln as status for the masses. We went faster in a straight line, and got there more quickly, but we had to slow down for the curves and brake well in advance. The mentality persists today with many of us as we gripe because we don't have certain creature comforts or gadgets as standard equipment (voice-activated stereo, nav, BT, back-up camera, etc.)

I like what Pontiac is trying to do -- establish a RWD performance mentality at mid-income prices. I hope the "stiff" suspension and mid-range fuel consumption doesn't kill the dream of getting more buyers on board. They nearly lost me before the GTO and G8 came out when they axed the "F" body. It's great to have the newest on the street, but they must sell a bunch of these to keep the dream alive and finance the continuing development of a great platform.

'05 IBM GTO M6
'08 G8 GT A6 Liquid Red/Onyx
post #17 of 106 (permalink) Old 04-09-2008, 07:04 AM
2006 GTO Black/Red

A Hearty Guffaw!

Look at this post:

"How DARE they compare their peasant-mobile to my magnificent German car? I laugh heartily at their pathetic australian sedan. I dread that the owners of these motor carriages (who lack a reasoning faculty and probably an immortal soul) would see fit to attempt a conversation with me whist I am piloting my Bavarian wonder-wagon. If he should do so then i will surely have a hearty guffaw at his expense."

You think those pencil neck geeks in their 60 grand pretty boy wagons have their panties in a bunch???!!!
post #18 of 106 (permalink) Old 04-09-2008, 07:24 AM
2006 GTO Black/Red

A Boat Missed

The buzz that is being created by this 8 vs. 5 thing shows you that when they brought out the GTO, it should have been marketed against the Beemer 3 series, instead of the Mustang. I can see the comments now....how dare those sweaty pleebs driving those dumb Australian monsters with brawn and no brains compare their crude machines to my refined and expensive German wet dream machine! Imagine that Buffy! This commercial offers a glimmer of hope that Pontiac is starting to understand their buyer. One can only hope!!

Last edited by longtaddy; 04-09-2008 at 07:30 AM.
post #19 of 106 (permalink) Old 04-09-2008, 07:33 AM
2006 GTO Black/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaphod B View Post
So far (with a couple of exceptions) the Bimmer owners around here - and they are numerous - have not deigned to acknowledge my presence.
Trust me...they won't. If they acknowledge you, they have to admit they paid about double what they needed to. They will mess with you on the highway though...
post #20 of 106 (permalink) Old 04-09-2008, 08:24 AM
G6 GT~GP GT~G8 GT

Quote:
I wish the Americans would just stop making cars. I also think enthusiasts should have an elitist attitude.

A girl at my work drives a Pontiac. I told her she has absolutely no taste.

Remember people: There is a reason we got the idea to get a BMW. It's because we have good taste in cars. Feel good that you are superior to American car drivers in every imaginable way.
I lol'd. The fact that its got all those guys dropping 60k on their cars all wound up is proof that there is something to this marketing campaign. Many of them realize the G8 is an amazingly well performing machine, for half the cost of their cars, and they accept that. Others make ridiculous comments like this, similar to an 8 year old.

'07 Grand Prix Supercharged GT Special Edition

2010 Victory Red Camaro 2SS ordered...

Last edited by vikings_70; 04-09-2008 at 08:36 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page