Re: Rumors of my demise (G8 that is) - Page 3 - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 99 (permalink) Old 11-11-2008, 07:15 PM
G8 GT - Sports and Pre Pg

[quote=sccaGTO;118651]Some aftermarket companies will pick up the slack. Small engine, transmission, suspension parts will be built be companies that have their parts sold at auto parts stores...quote]

Yeah, new car companies will actually pop up out of a GM collapse (even if they only do bankrupcy 11). Many of them will be GM's old suppliers. The U.S. economy will still loose millions of jobs in the short run though.

fcsuper
fcsuper's unofficial Pontiac G8 Experience
Magnetic Grey Metallic
Stock with Premium/Sports/Moonroof packages
Splash guards and a custom mix of Commodore interior trim
New in Colorado
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 99 (permalink) Old 11-11-2008, 09:34 PM
US Ute whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by r1owner View Post
I think now would be a good time for Wagoner (sp) to either leave or take a $1/year salary like Ioccoca did.
If Wagonner agreed to be paid $1/year until they posted a 12 calender month profit, I'd have a heart attack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcsuper View Post
In an effort to take the top spot, Toyota is spread way too thin as well...they are seriously over extended. We will start hearing news about their troubles within a quarter or two. Their sales have been dropping faster than GM by some accounts.
I agree that Toyota is spreading themselves thin as well. But, Toyota has shown an ability to adjust production & adapt to the market better & faster than GM. Overall, Toyota's sales haven't been dropping as fast as GM's. But, since import brands of cars are the media darling children, you won't hear very much about them losing dollars & jobs.
post #43 of 99 (permalink) Old 11-12-2008, 09:55 AM
G8 GT - Sports and Pre Pg

Quote:
Originally Posted by sccaGTO View Post
Toyota's sales haven't been dropping as fast as GM's. But, since import brands of cars are the media darling children, you won't hear very much about them losing dollars & jobs.
That's just it, Toyota sales have dropped more in the U.S. market in the past quarter. Your right about the media, though. A day before the GM announcement I saw on the news that was expected to show a 40% drop in sales for Q3. Who the heck came up with that number? It ended up being under 20%. Toyota Sept drop was 32% and Oct drop was 23% in North America (I believe the quarter ended up being 28% drop, but I cannot find the source to confirm that at this sec), though it's world wide drop for the quarter is lower at 4% compared to GM's 11%. (The are out selling GM now on the world wide level) All we hear about is GM and Ford about to fail. So, yeah, nuts to the media.

fcsuper
fcsuper's unofficial Pontiac G8 Experience
Magnetic Grey Metallic
Stock with Premium/Sports/Moonroof packages
Splash guards and a custom mix of Commodore interior trim
New in Colorado

post #44 of 99 (permalink) Old 11-19-2008, 04:49 PM

well been listening very close to this GM deal....and one thing needs to happen is the press needs to pull theirs heads out of their ass, quit downing the us auto makers...because let me tell you...if GM or Ford fail....the housing deal is going to be minut to the economy compaired to this, and all the people who drive their imported crap...well maybe they will be able to drive to get their unemployment checks in their toyota's, honda's or whatever othe kind of foreign junk they drive. people have no clue that they have been supporting our own collapse of the economy...just to say "Oh the imports are so much better" well you *******s just wait....hard times just might be coming to your town soon !!!! sorry but I have had it with these idiots !!!
post #45 of 99 (permalink) Old 11-19-2008, 06:32 PM
Speed Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezstriper View Post
well been listening very close to this GM deal....and one thing needs to happen is the press needs to pull theirs heads out of their ass, quit downing the us auto makers...because let me tell you...if GM or Ford fail....the housing deal is going to be minut to the economy compaired to this, and all the people who drive their imported crap...well maybe they will be able to drive to get their unemployment checks in their toyota's, honda's or whatever othe kind of foreign junk they drive. people have no clue that they have been supporting our own collapse of the economy...just to say "Oh the imports are so much better" well you *******s just wait....hard times just might be coming to your town soon !!!! sorry but I have had it with these idiots !!!
Well first not all Toyotas are built overseas. And our cars aren't exactly American, so to talk about foreign vs domestic on this board is a joke! Second take a look at GM and Ford, they have ridiculous amounts of dealerships, and ridiculous varieties of cars out. Toyota on the other hand has twice as few dealerships and only a select line of vehicles. They are winning the war b/c we are too damn greedy. We make way too many cars, price them too high, and then add a huge variety to suit every tom and nancy out there. It only makes sense why they are in this predicument.
We are at a time when Buisness owners and CEOs who use to put money back into the buisness they work for, instead buy 10 houses and 3 yachts and then fire the little guy below them to keep their job. Endstate is what we have now. i am a GM fan, but its the top brass that has ruined the car economy. Bailout the people that price gouge us on vehicles? I don't think so! Maybe we can buy direct from Holden! LOL!
post #46 of 99 (permalink) Old 11-20-2008, 06:19 AM

Yep, but you let GM die you likely kill Holden in the process.
post #47 of 99 (permalink) Old 11-20-2008, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedVee8 View Post
Yep, but you let GM die you likely kill Holden in the process.
GM may just set Holden free to fight it out on its own anyway. In its effort to streamline, all bets are off on who/what gets kept and what gets jettisoned in favor of survival of the core business. We may see GM cut back to a smaller USA only company, with all foreign divisions lumped into a different company or sold off. The next few months should be interesting!
post #48 of 99 (permalink) Old 11-23-2008, 08:51 PM

Please do not fall into the class envy trap of blaming the rich CEO…GM, Ford etc was providing the trucks and suvs we wanted…They got hit by a do nothing congress that actively blocked oil drilling here and building of refineries. Gas goes up, GM goes down due to buyers panic…THEN congress says we will raise CAFÉ requirements with in 3-4 years…not enough time for GM, Ford etc… as models already set that far out…..so more $$ cost to the auto makers due to an autocratic, dumb anything thing for a vote congress from the equally dumb….

So between the no drill here and no refineries here congress and the snap of the fingers CAFÉ requirements…the auto makers are in a bind…keep gas down and move the CAFÉ requirements out further will help more than loans with GO Green congress fingers attached…
post #49 of 99 (permalink) Old 11-23-2008, 10:19 PM

Is any other country's government and/or government agencies trying as hard to kill one fo their own industries? I think not. It's crazy!
post #50 of 99 (permalink) Old 11-24-2008, 12:38 AM
Speed Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by STex View Post
Please do not fall into the class envy trap of blaming the rich CEO…GM, Ford etc was providing the trucks and suvs we wanted…They got hit by a do nothing congress that actively blocked oil drilling here and building of refineries. Gas goes up, GM goes down due to buyers panic…THEN congress says we will raise CAFÉ requirements with in 3-4 years…not enough time for GM, Ford etc… as models already set that far out…..so more $$ cost to the auto makers due to an autocratic, dumb anything thing for a vote congress from the equally dumb….

So between the no drill here and no refineries here congress and the snap of the fingers CAFÉ requirements…the auto makers are in a bind…keep gas down and move the CAFÉ requirements out further will help more than loans with GO Green congress fingers attached…
Now I stick to my guns b/c what I wrote is correct, however you have a valid point (oil) as to another reason why they are in a crunch. But it is coupled w/ what I pointed out. If it were only as easy as the CAFE requirements, congress would just have the time table pushed back. They are asking for millions of dollars, not time!
post #51 of 99 (permalink) Old 11-26-2008, 03:12 AM

well GM G8 Owners.. do NOT have an accident! You can't get parts any time soon.. I was rear ended and need a bumper.. It's been a month and I'm still waiting for a bumper facia to come from Australia! Seems that GM doesn't stock parts for the G8 in the USA.. and why would they??? I mean.. they only sell the cars here.. This is worse than when the Japanese started selling cars here.. At least THEY knew enough to stock common parts.. And GM wonders why they are in trouble? The treat customers like garbage.
Maybe in a few months the boat will get here from Down Under and I'll be able to get my car fixed! Be CAREFUL before you consider buying a G8
post #52 of 99 (permalink) Old 11-26-2008, 05:38 AM

no parts here...???

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceJames View Post
well GM G8 Owners.. do NOT have an accident! You can't get parts any time soon.. I was rear ended and need a bumper.. It's been a month and I'm still waiting for a bumper facia to come from Australia! Seems that GM doesn't stock parts for the G8 in the USA.. and why would they??? I mean.. they only sell the cars here.. This is worse than when the Japanese started selling cars here.. At least THEY knew enough to stock common parts.. And GM wonders why they are in trouble? The treat customers like garbage.
Maybe in a few months the boat will get here from Down Under and I'll be able to get my car fixed! Be CAREFUL before you consider buying a G8
I had read a few similar stories here -
and considered that when I decided to buy.
I have a lot of practice now in
'defensive driving' - having driven a
Corvette for 2+ years - and
** NO ONE ** seems to see a 'Vette
in their mirrors....
Are you in a rental?
At GM's expense?
Best of luck!
- Ray
Fingers crossed.......
post #53 of 99 (permalink) Old 11-26-2008, 01:48 PM
US Ute whore

Many of us from the GTO community had similar experiences. GM tries to keep prices for shipping those parts down because they are coming from such a fae distance. This is why everything comes on a ship. It just seems to be the nature of the beast. If someone else was at fault, their insurance company should pick up the tab for the rental.
post #54 of 99 (permalink) Old 11-29-2008, 07:04 AM

I'm driving the car but that's not the point.. really.. I can't get the sucker fixed until the bumper comes in from Australia. The guys insurance company is paying for it although they're doing the typical insurance company crap.. You know.. the "our estimate to fix this is far less than Pontiac's estimate".. but that doesn't worry me cause I'll just sue em for the cost to fix... around 26 hundred bucks..
The issue really is why GM doesn't store parts for this car in the USA where it's sold.. a
bumper sure isn't an odd part to replace on any auto... and they're sure not helpful when it comes to customer service finding out when the part MIGHT be in.. This is the kind of frustrating stuff that leads people to buy foreign.. OH and to add insult to injury...I also have the damn airbag system coding out.. and the CD player just conks out when playing sometimes.. Just ANNOYING crap really.. but c'mon.. build em BETTER dammit!
post #55 of 99 (permalink) Old 11-29-2008, 10:08 AM
US Ute whore

Quote:
I'm driving the car but that's not the point.. really.. I can't get the sucker fixed until the bumper comes in from Australia. The guys insurance company is paying for it although they're doing the typical insurance company crap.. You know.. the "our estimate to fix this is far less than Pontiac's estimate".. but that doesn't worry me cause I'll just sue em for the cost to fix... around 26 hundred bucks..
The issue really is why GM doesn't store parts for this car in the USA where it's sold.. a
bumper sure isn't an odd part to replace on any auto... and they're sure not helpful when it comes to customer service finding out when the part MIGHT be in.. This is the kind of frustrating stuff that leads people to buy foreign.. OH and to add insult to injury...I also have the damn airbag system coding out.. and the CD player just conks out when playing sometimes.. Just ANNOYING crap really.. but c'mon.. build em BETTER dammit!
Did the CD player problem & the airbag fault start after the accident? If these problems occured before the accident, warranty will handle those minor nuances. As for the insurance company, I don't know who makes the decision on where the car gets fixed. If it's you, the victim, then you should be able to get it fixed whereever makes you feel comfortable. The insurance company will just have to pay it & pass it on to their customer.
post #56 of 99 (permalink) Old 11-29-2008, 10:41 AM

Now is the time to buy GM stock.
post #57 of 99 (permalink) Old 11-29-2008, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by r1owner View Post
GM needs to get down to at MOST 3 lines... no more Acadia/Outlook/Traverse/Enclave stuff.

1 Division for trucks... GMC and SUV's

Chevrolet for entry level cars.... Pontiac or Buick for Mid level cars and Cadillac for upper level cars...

Do it now and close a lot of plants or try to hang on and end up closing them all later.

Agreed. The way I see it (now I'm a business major, just trying to eliminate unecessary line duplication), dump Hummer if anyone will take it. Dump GMC or absorb it into Chevy. Absorb the G8 and Soltice into Chey as an Impala and Stingray and (unfortuantly) dump the rest of Pontiac

Then, have one outlet for Caddy and Saab, one for Saturn and one for Chevy, Chevy Trucks and Buick

You could also have Chevy dump the trucks and stick to cars and have GMC be the truck line (and sold out of a Chevy GMC Buick outlet).
post #58 of 99 (permalink) Old 11-29-2008, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STex View Post

Yes they were building what we wanted. We have a history of buying cars (more to the point trucks) that are unnecessary for our lifestyle. A few years ago, GM put off certain cars so they could hurry to market the GMT900 (I think that's the name) line of SUVs and pickups (just in time for gas prices to skyrocket). Does a single person with no kids, no need for towing, or job that does not requires a large SUV or truck really need a Chevy Tahoe, Silverado or Cadillac Escalade? No. Can a smaller more fuel efficient vehicle fill that "bling bling look at me" market? Yes, if done right. Does a soccer mom really need an Escalade when a nice CTS sportwagon could serve the same purpose? In hindsight, the money spent on the GMT900s prob would have been better spent developing and marketing smaller, more fuel efficient cars.

The big three have put all their eggs in the SUV/truck basket for so long (because that is what we wanted) now it is coming back to bite us. Does Chrysler even have a sedan hybrid that is remotely close to production? No, They release the Durango and Aspen hybrids because that is where their head still is.

Our culture, along with the car industry, needs to change. The US car makers should take control of the market and culture and say these are the cars we are going to build, make them "cool" and then the public will adapt. Give some cars to Hollywood types, put them in movies and on TV. Isn't that how the Escalade succeeded?

Am I saying cars like the Tahoe or escalade should no longer exist? No. But the idea of them being "what to be seen in" needs to change and the concept of "cool" needs to shift.

If I were the government and the big three came to me saying "we don't have a plan but give us the money anyway", I'd be hesitant too

Last edited by BackRoad101; 11-29-2008 at 04:38 PM.
post #59 of 99 (permalink) Old 11-29-2008, 08:44 PM

The problem isnt the cars they are building or the quality (both of which I love!) Its the auto unions beating them up for way too much money and far too many benefits. GM is paying people that havent worked there in years a full pension and health care benefits, when people are living longer those expenses get out of hand. Everyone compares the domestics to the imports and both are being built right here in the US but, one is weighed down by unions and one is not. I personally hope they go to bankruptcy court and restructure, bankruptcy isnt th end of a company, sometimes its a new beginning. They could get rid of all their bad debts and build my dream silverado with a LS7!! (I did say dream, I know my chances!)
post #60 of 99 (permalink) Old 11-30-2008, 02:52 AM

Location: SE Michigan and SW Florida (thus the name Snowbird!)
Quote:
bumper sure isn't an odd part to replace on any auto... and they're sure not helpful when it comes to customer service finding out when the part MIGHT be in.. This is the kind of frustrating stuff that leads people to buy foreign.
Just so you know, Audi operates the same way with my RS 6. Some parts are in the US; some are in Germany. When a US dealer orders a part from Germany, they have no way of knowing its shipment status until it reaches the US.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page