Pontiac G8 Forum banner

Who has the baddest v6 car

10K views 63 replies 22 participants last post by  kgenesse 
#1 ·
Hey I wanted to ask to see who on here has the baddest v6 G8 car on this site and wanted to hear your set-up. Anyone feel free to comment your mods and what you have done to your car. I would love to hear what works the best for the most HP and Torque. I want to find the best of the best mods for mine before I make my decision. Yes, I have done my research but I wanted to hear from you guys to see what has worked for you in the past. I really love this site and all your help is greatly appreciated.

#2 ·
Think maybe Hazer.. anyone chime in if im wrong

#3 ·
Yup..hazer396 i believe... car nickname oreo..his car is FS in the FS section if you want to check it out... theres another black , but cant recall his name

#4 ·
Hazer396 by far has the most mods on his v6. He was the first to do headers I believe and his car was the test mule for one of the two tunes (MACE) that exist for the v6. The other guy who runs a similar setup to Hazer is blackpantherg8 and there could be one more Rich G but I believe everyone has looked to Hazer when it comes to the V6.

#8 ·
I have researched and researched everything I could about turboing the v6 and from what I have come up with is one problem that was in the way for the longest time was lack of a tune. We have a tune now but no trans tune and the 5 speed internals are only good for 350hp they say so probably scramble that thing pretty quick with boost. Also cost to fab a kit nobody here has been able to shell out the money for R&D. There are a few 2010 twin turbo v6 camaro's but they have the LLT engine with DI and the 6 speed trans with better internals so its just been one road block after the other but for some reason I am still hopeful. I know kits exist is Australia for supers and turbos for the v6 but they are like $8000.

#7 ·
Because GM put a very weak transmission in the car..

#9 ·
Hazer never took his to the track, his is speculation on what it would run. Just look at times in the 1/4 for a V6 and that's where the rubber meets the road, where it counts.

From a unnamed mental institution. ...

#10 ·
He has no track times posted but he has his dyro run for his final build posted on YouTube and you can see his HP numbers they are high but your right no 1/4 times

#12 ·
Mine were 224 H.P. with only a CAI,axlebacks and x-pipe. I guess I got lucky on the engine that I had from the factory.

#11 ·
I have found someone that says he can tune Trans.. Looking into doing it this summer along with some engine hop ups and tune.. maybe even a Camaro diff swap with 3.27 lsd

#32 ·
I believe I was the first on this forum to modify the 5L40-E to take more abuse. I used 5L50-E parts from a V8 Cadillac unit along with Sonnax valve body mods and line pressure adjustments.

But it was much more cost effective to go to a 6 speed 6L50. It comes already stronger than a 5L40 and I modified it to be a little tougher than stock. I made my own adapters to make the electronics work and I machined an output yoke to work with the stock driveshaft. I sourced all the appropriate GM parts to do the conversion as well. The reason I did this is because I have a 3.45 Camaro differential and the 5L40's overdrive was .75:1 and the 6L50's overdrive is .67:1, so it is almost as good as the stock diff with the 5 speed on the highway as far as RPMs go.

As far as horsepower and engine mods, I would say Hazer is your man. I myself am big into drivetrain mods.

Happy Modding!

#13 ·
In the video

He gets 242/259 with the headers and high flow cats, custom exhaust, an intake and a tune. I would love to be able to sink this kind of money into my car but college is currently eating it all up.

Valtec1500 I know our current diff is not lsd but what is the ratio? To get the 3.27 in lsd do you have to get it off an ss or a manual camaro? I thought I heard that the base v6 camaro with an auto trans didnt have lsd.

#14 ·
Our stock ratio is 2.92 none LSD.. Base v8 camaro I think comes with 3.27 LSD..Ss comes with 3.45

#15 ·
So we run the same ratio as the GT just no lsd? If we wanted lsd but the same ratio would the GT diff work with the V6?

#16 ·
Yes.. That's what Hazer did

#19 ·
"The G8 came well-equipped. Standard features included 18-inch wheels, power front seats, a tilt-and-telescoping steering wheel and a seven-speaker CD sound system with an auxiliary audio jack and (for '09) satellite radio. The GT added the 6.0-liter V8 engine, a limited-slip differential, dual-zone automatic climate control and a premium sound system with a six-CD changer."

"Unfortunately, the G8 V6 isn’t exactly what you'd call a bargain (mate) compared to the G8 V8. Base to base, you save $2400. That, my pistonhead pals, is a pittance for an extra 105 horsepower. But wait, there’s less! The GT comes complete with the V6’s Comfort and Sound Package as standard. It also boasts other extra standard kit, including a leather-wrapped steering wheel and limited-slip rear end."

The first one is from edmunds and the second from TTAC both would suggest that the V6 does not have lsd maybe somebody swapped yours before you bought it?

#21 ·
TTAC just prides themselves on being hypercritical of everything on cars. Its like their job to make everything sound terrible. I love my v6 too wish I had the GXP front like you do but its out of my price range.

#22 ·
i think someone put a 6l80 e in the v6 g8... id LOVE to see a v6 tt g8 i think it would be a bad ass track car. the g8 gt is a monster as is bt the tt g8 v6 would be bitchin

#23 ·
I couldn't afford a GT at the time, I loved my baby. Was a fun car to drive, kept me out of trouble since limited on power. What they lack in speed they make up in playability, if that's even a word. Now time to move to the power maker, now I can get my need for speed.. ENJOY HER.

#24 ·
Devil a guy on here named kgenesee has a 6speed swapped into his v6 and a 3.45 rear diff. He has the best chance of getting a turbo in the car. I think he may have even started to work out a single large turbo setup.

#26 ·
Devil a guy on here named kgenesee has a 6speed swapped into his v6 and a 3.45 rear diff. He has the best chance of getting a turbo in the car. I think he may have even started to work out a single large turbo setup.
that would be awesome!

if so i wondering how much power those v6 motors can handle
im curious too and i doubt theyd be too expensive to replace

#27 ·
#28 ·
CAPA Performance in Australia makes a 9psi super with intercooler that makes 430 hp at the flywheel in a stock ly7 but i believe those cars come with the 6 speed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.