Can you drive 75 miles with a new 1:1 rear cog pulley installed before re-tuning - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-08-2019, 02:19 PM Thread Starter

Can you drive 75 miles with a new 1:1 rear cog pulley installed before re-tuning

Hi G8 Family,

My 09 GT has the TVS 2300 but with the BTR PDS Stage 2 Cam and the ARH LTs to Solo Axlebacks, I don't hear the supercharger whine so I want to add the rear cog pulley (and I wouldn't complain about the extra HP). The only issue is to between the part, install cost and then retune cost, it is more than I can spend at the moment so I am thinking of installing it myself and then driving it 75 miles to the shop to have it retuned. Is it safe to drive that far with the extra boost but not being tuned yet or will it cause damage? Thanks in advance for your input.

09 GT with Rotofab ARH 1 7/8 LTs and Solo Axlebacks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-08-2019, 05:14 PM
Grease Monkey

Garage
stay out of boost and you'll be fine.

Ported TVS1900 OD cogs 10.5psi | ID850 | Vaporworx CTS-V 1:1 | COMP 219/233 .606"/.605" 113+1 | Ported TB | Pacesetter 1 3/4 LT | Solo Mach X3

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-08-2019, 06:49 PM

I've heard of people damaging engines that way. If you have an HPTuners I would ask your tuner to throw together a really safe baseline tune to flash to get you to the shop. If not I would use an OBD2 or something to monitor fuel trims and such very carefully and keep it below 2k RPMs.

2009 GT SRM - 90k miles - BMR, SuperPro, Brembos, Rotofab, HPTuners

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-09-2019, 07:45 AM

Have roadside assistance? Used roadside assistance on at least two occasions to have a vehicle towed from the driveway to the repair shop. Just a thought.

#NEVER GIVE UP
#AUDACITY OF HOPE

"Rather not run the risk of offending anyone, so let me just go ahead and offend someone". -PONY MAN

"When you write the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen". -UNKNOWN

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 09:18 AM Thread Starter

Update: Played it safe and dropped the car off for the install and tune. Had the rear cog overdrive pulley and trans cooler installed. Went back to the 3.3 front pulley because the boost was too high and causing too much heat. New numbers are more than I expected. bare in mind this is a Mustang Dyno too...611 rwhp and torque was at 575!?! 😁That’s on 14 lbs boost. Now I’m thinking the next mods will be an interchiller, maybe 3.45 rear and convert to an 8 rib or 10 rib pulley system( is it worth it or needed?). The next oil change I’m thinking catch can, 160 degree thermostat and change the spark plugsStill drives like stock in the lower rpms and still breaking 20mpg on the highway. City is more like 13 mpg lol. Anyone have opinions or experience with the interchiller on boosted G8s? Let me know your thoughts on my future mod plans and if anything is essential that is missing. Thanks

09 GT with Rotofab ARH 1 7/8 LTs and Solo Axlebacks
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 10:47 AM

Great numbers! You did the right thing by having it installed and tuned together.

2009.5 Liquid Red G8 GXP A6
For mods list, honk 3 times.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 05:35 PM

I'm running a Frostbite interchiller from Pnptechworks and temps are always in check. Have a Glanzer Res and have gotten cold enough that the res has frosted over.

Had one ordered from another vendor that couldn't communicate delivery and 4 weeks turned into 4 months, cancelled and got the Frostbite within a week. Super simple to put in and definitely worth it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page